OverviewCrytek GmbH is an interactive entertainment development company founded by the three Turkish brothers Cevat Yerli, Avni Yerli and Faruk Yerli in 1999. The company is located in Germany. It was initially based in Coburg and relocated to Frankfurt in 2006.
In 2004 the company released its first title, the Windows game Far Cry, published by Ubisoft. It was followed by a series of adaptations for the consoles, such as Far Cry: Instincts (2005) and Far Cry: Instincts - Predator (2006). Later games such as Far Cry: Instincts - Evolution (2006) and Far Cry: Vengeance (2006) were developed by Ubisoft Montreal without Crytek. The brand name Far Cry remained the property of Ubisoft and Far Cry 2 was no longer developed by Crytek.
In July 2004 the company announced a partnership with Electronic Arts to create the Crysis franchise. The first-person shooter Crysis was released in November 2007. After the stand-alone expansion Crysis: Warhead (2008) the company released the sequel Crysis 2 in 2011.
Next to games, the company also created and maintains the proprietary and licensable CryENGINE 3D engine. Currently three major engine generations have been released.
In 2006 Crytek started expanding its business with the foundation and the acquisition of studios all over the world:
- Crytek Ukraine (2006, made a full development studio in 2007)
- Crytek Hungary Kft. (2007, development studio, closed in 2016)
- Crytek Black Sea Ltd. (development studio, acquired in 2008, previously known as Black Sea Studios, closed in 2016)
- Crytek Seoul Ltd. (development studio, engine licensing and support, closed in 2016)
- Crytek UK (development studio, acquired in 2009, previously known as Free Radical Design, closed in 2014)
- Crytek Shanghai Software Co. Ltd (2012, closed in 2016)
- Crytek Istanbul (2012, closed in 2016)
- Crytek USA Corp. (2013)
|Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 - Season Pass Edition||(2017)|
|Robinson: The Journey||(2016)|
|Homefront: The Revolution||(2016)|
|Everybody's Gone to the Rapture||(2015)|
|State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition||(2015)|
|Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric||(2014)|
|Ryse: Son of Rome - Legendary Edition||(2014)|
|State of Decay: Lifeline||(2014)|
|Ryse: Son of Rome||(2013)|
|State of Decay||(2013)|
|Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 (Limited Edition)||(2013)|
|Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2||(2013)|
|Nike+ Kinect Training||(2012)|
|Crysis 2 (Limited Edition)||(2011)|
|Aion (Special Collector's Edition)||(2009)|
|Far Cry: Instincts - Predator||(2006)|
|Far Cry: Instincts||(2005)|
TriviaThe German online magazine 4Players named Crytek as Best Developer of 2004 and Newcomer of 2004.
Related Web Sites
- Crytek GmbH (official website)
- Wikipedia: Crytek (article in the open encyclopedia about the company)