OverviewThis division of The Walt Disney Company was established in 1996. Starting as Disney Interactive, it was a continuation of the Walt Disney Computer Software division, which was shut down in 1996 due to an internal reorganization.
Around 2003 the company was re-branded as Buena Vista Games, Inc. with two publishing labels: Buena Vista Interactive for high-profile multi-platform titles and Disney Interactive for children's and entertainment software. The brands were not always used conclusively. Some games were marketed as Buena Vista Games without mention of any of the two brands.
This lasted until 2007 when Disney decided to to re-merge the productions under the current name Disney Interactive Studios. The company owns various development studios:
- Avalanche Software (acquired in 2005)
- Black Rock Studio (acquired)
- Fall Line Studios (established)
- Gamestar (China) Ltd. (acquired)
- Junction Point Studios Inc. (acquired)
- Playdom, Inc. (acquired in 2010)
- Propaganda Games (established)
- Tapulous, Inc. (acquired in 2010)
- Wideload Games (acquired in 2009)
Contributed by Freeman (16918) on Jun 12, 2007. [revised by : Jeanne (75619) and Sciere (253393)].