OverviewKalypso Media GmbH is a German publishing house established in the summer of 2006 by Simon Hellwig and Stefan Marcinek. A year later, in August 2007, the sister company Kalypso Media UK Ltd. was opened in England, led by Andrew Johnson and Charlie Barrett.
On 14th November 2008 the company announced the formation of its own development studio, Realmforge Studios GmbH. Kalypso Media funded most of the company and is also the majority shareholder. It consists entirely of the Boxed Dreams development team.
Also in November 2008, Kalypso purchased the worldwide rights to the Tropico brand from Take-Two Interactive.
In June 2009, Kalypso Media acquired the majority of the licenses and assets of Ascaron Entertainment after that company entered insolvency. Among the games titles acquired were Port Royale, Darkstar One, On the Ball and The Patrician.
On June 18, 2009 it was announced that Kalypso had acquired Gaming Minds Studios GmbH comprised of former Ascaron employees.
Because of the company's rapid expansion and increased worldwide presence, the founders established Kalypso Media Group (also headquartered in Worm, Germany) as the holding company for all of its companies and studios. The Kalypso family is comprised of ..
- Kalypso Media GmbH - main corporate headquarters (Worms, Germany - founded 2006)
- Kalypso Media UK Ltd (Leicester, UK - formed Aug. 2007)
- Realmforge Studios GmbH (Munich, Germany - formed Nov 2008)
- Kalypso Media USA Inc. (Baltimore, Maryland USA - formed June 2009)
- Gaming Minds Studios GmbH (Gütersloh, Germany - formed June 2009)
- Kalypso Media Digital Ltd. (Bracknell, UK - the digital distribution division)
Contributed by Sciere (257916) on Nov 14, 2008. [revised by : Jeanne (75620) and Sciere (257916)].