Mar 30, 1998:
- Sony Online Entertainment formed by uniting parts of Sony Online Ventures and Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Jul 23, 2004:
- The company announces a joint venture with Gamania Digital Entertainment Inc. with the initial task to assist in the launch and operation of EverQuest II in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea, as well as Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Jan 18, 2005:
- The company sets up a distribution label, Station Publishing, for products from external content providers.
Feb 03, 2005:
- The company forms a development studio in Seattle led by Matt Wilson
Jun 17, 2005:
- The company establishes a licensing agreement with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to develop a DC Comics massively multiplayer online game. They also acquire The Matrix Online and hire some employees of Monolith Productions, as the company had to let 80 people go after pulling out of the project.
- The company acquires Worlds Apart, a developer of online trading card games, and renames it Sony Online Entertainment Studios Denver.
- The company acquires the assets of Sigil Games Online, Inc.
Nov 29, 2007:
- The company announces to open a new development studio in India for online games.
Jan 16, 2009:
- The company acquires the PoxNora online collectible strategy game along with the development team Octopi, LLC. As part of the acquisition, members of the Octopi development team will form the core of SOE’s new Tucson studio, focusing on the continuing support of PoxNora as well as working with SOE’s Denver studio on new trading card and strategy game projects.