OverviewSquare Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix Japan) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd. The company is currently headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
Historically, the Square Enix Co. Ltd. was the result of a corporate merge between Square Co., Ltd. (founded in 1986) and Enix Corporation (founded in September, 1975 as Eidansha Boshu Service Center) in April, 2003. The company later incorporated and renamed itself into a holding company: Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd. on October 1, 2008. This new company on the same day, established a new company using the same former name: Square Enix Co. Ltd.
Technically, Square Enix Co. Ltd. before and after October 1, 2008 are two different companies. This company overview for efficiency, may be used to reflect both companies.
Square Enix Holdings Co. Ltd. (formerly Square Enix Co. Ltd.)
Wholly Owned Subsidiaries:
- Square Enix Co. Ltd. (Square Enix Japan) - Established October 1, 2008
- Square Enix, Inc. (Square Enix North America - Seattle, Washington State) - Established January, 2004
- Square Enix Ltd (Square Enix Europe) - Established January, 2004
- Square Enix (China) Co., Ltd. (Square Enix Asia - Beijing, China) - Established January, 2005
- Square Enix of America Holdings, Inc. (Los Angeles, California) - Established November, 2006
- Taito Corporation - Acquired September, 2005
- Square Enix MobileStudio, Co., Ltd. - Established January, 2008
- Smile-Lab Co., Ltd. - Established February, 2008
- Square Enix Business Support Co., Ltd. - Established April, 2010
Contributed by Indra is stressed (20020) on Nov 02, 2010.
Logo first used Apr, 2003