Ronald Millar Sr.
Ron Millar is a game designer, artist, sound designer and musician that has been involved in the development of a wide variety of games, IP development, audio and technology incubation efforts since 1989.
He is British Citizen, born in Motherwell Scotland to an artistic mother and electronics engineer and math professor father. Ron spent the first 8 years of his life in Scotland before moving to Southern England. He and his family then immigrated to the United States in the early 1980's. He can speak to you in one of three accents which helps him when it comes to voice acting in some games he's worked on. It also exposed him to a variety of culture and gaming including board games and tabletop games such as Warhammer which was very popular in the UK.
His father was an electronics engineer often taking on the repair of arcade machines back in the 1970's. It was from these machines and watching his father build computers that he developed a love of electronic gaming and computer programming. As a child Ron, helped by his father, developed a series of games for systems such as the Texas Instruments TI 99/4a, Commodore 64, ZX81 and more. After High School Ron landed his first job with Virgin Games as an Artist and Animator on several games which began his lifelong career and passion for developing electronic games for a living.
Ron shifted from the classic console and handheld gaming world in 2007 to explore the Social and Mobile gaming world that was expanding quickly at that time. He worked closely with the team at Zynga during the early Mafia Wars days and worked on several other IP's at Zynga. He also held a role at Glu Mobile working on both mobile and social games for the company.
He has co-founded two of his own companies and helped others during startup phases. Most notably he was one of the first employees of Blizzard helping to grow and develop the games that helped it become a success. It was here that he shifted from an initial role as an artist to take on a wider role as a game designer and eventually to lead the design effort on the games Blizzard developed until he departed in 1997.
In 2010 Ron joined Academy Award Winning Visual FX producer John Gaeta (Matrix Trilogy, Speed Racer, Ninja Assassin) at Float Hybrid Entertainment to help incubate and develop smart and sensor entertainment for Microsoft, BBDO and other major clients. For over two years Ron worked closely with Microsoft Incubation, Lucasfilm and other companies to help develop new technologies and IP such as the Kinect, Wearable Computing, Depth Sensor Equipment, Deep Diving on Gesture UX exploration, Sound driven film visuals and more. While at Float Ron developed a game for iOS with some other members of Float for fun. The app is called "Subject 7". Developed with UnReal, it uses a unique method of control which uses the hardwares accelerometers to control what you are looking at, something like a virtual window. Ron and crew designed, built, created the sound fx, music and acted as the voice talent for the game.
Ron is also an accomplished sound designer, musician and voice actor/director. Ron has done work for a variety of console, mobile and social games. He has also created sound libraries and source material for well known electronic artists/DJ's. He maintains a music studio in Marin, California filled with a variety of custom built modular synthesizers, and vintage electronic instruments. Having a passion for electronic music and music in gaming He is friends with a few top electronic artists such as Deadmau5, Dj Aero, Chris Lake, HotMouth, Lee Coombs, Steve Duda and more. Ron and some of the crew at Float designed and developed a few fun Deadmau5 explorations using the Kinect and Unreal Engine which you can find on his youtube site.
Lastly, Ron enjoys coding, electronics and inventing which, blended with his experience at game development and incubation, has led to some innovative new uses for sound, visuals, arduinos, led lighting, synthesizers and more.
Ron resides in beautiful Marin County California where he enjoys riding his mountain bike as often as he can on the many trails in the area.
You can find Ron's personal youtube page here: www.youtube.com/spindizzyman or follow him on twitter here: twitter.com/electrosounds
Also Known As
- Ron Millar
- Ronald Millar
- Ronald Miller
- Black & White 2: Battle of the Gods (2006), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Black & White 2 (2005), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Black & White 2 (Collector's Edition) (2005), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Goblin Commander: Unleash the Horde (2003), Jaleco Entertainment, Inc.
- StarCraft (1998), Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
- Dark Reign: The Future of War (1997), Activision, Inc.
- Norse by Norse West: The Return of the Lost Vikings (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Diablo (1996), Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
- Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal (1996), Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
- Justice League Task Force (1995), Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.
- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1995), Blizzard Entertainment Europe
- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (Demo Version) (1995), Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
- Blackthorne (1994), Interplay Productions Ltd.
- The Death and Return of Superman (1994), Sun Corporation of America
- WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (1994), Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
- Rock 'n Roll Racing (1993), Interplay Productions, Inc.
- The Lost Vikings (1992), Interplay Productions, Inc.
- M.C. Kids (1992), Virgin Games, Inc.
- Prince of Persia (1992), Virgin Games, Inc.