|Frogger (1982)||(Original Design (Atari))|
|Hoyle Casino (2000)||(Lead Programmer)|
|Arcade Party Pak (1999)||(Smash T.V. and Super Sprint Programmers)|
|Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire (1998)||(System Software Engineer)|
|Lemmings (1993)||(Level Conversion)|
|Hoyle Casino (2000)||(Art)|
|Hoyle Casino (2000)||(Sound)|
|Scorched Tanks (1993)||(Thanks also ...)|
|BattleSphere (2000)||(Special Thanks To)|
John Harris is best known for Frogger, the famous Atari game. He also achieved many firsts in the gaming industry using the Atari platform including:
- He created first copy-protection system for the Atari not duplicable with standard equipment.
- He was the first to include continuous music score during gameplay, and included 10 different themes.
- He was the first to multiplex hardware sprites by using interrupts.
- He significantly surpassed the number of simultaneous on-screen colors with over 50 true, non-dithered colors.
- He created advanced AI with pathing, prediction, LOS, and communication between enemies in 1983.
- He created his own multi-threaded kernel. Anything that can be called as a function can also be spawned as a separate process with all arguments intact.
- He implemented the equivalent of object-oriented virtual functions.
- He created the most advanced interrupt color generation, capable of moving sprite objects with interrupt colors through a background which also has interrupt colors, with minimal CPU time requirements. Overall, hundreds or even thousands of colors are possible on screen, without crippling the CPU time available for other tasks.
Game development experience
- Gobbler (Amiga DE)
- Solitaire (Palm OS, Amiga DE)
- Video Poker Palm OS
- The Incredible Machine (Game Boy Color)
- Hoyle Casino (Game Boy Color)
- Professional Bull Rider (Demo, Game Boy Color)
- Smash TV, part of the Arcade Party Pak (PSX)
- Quest for Glory V: Artificial Intelligence and Systems (PC, Macintosh)
- Manage This! (IBM Corporate Training)
- Frankenstein PSX
- MechWarrior 2 (Demo, PSX)
- Treasure MathStorm!: Win 95 upgrade and Macintosh conversion
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (Macintosh conversion)
- Games: Frogger, JawBreaker, Mousekattack, JawBreaker (VCS), Maneuvering, and Bankster
- Educational: Briar Rose and Hansel and Gretal
- Information Display: Info/Gen, Info/Soft 3000 - 5000 - 7000, FIDS (Flight Information Display System), Pro/Guide, and Channel Plus.
Last updated: Nov 13, 2006