Andy Hoyos is an illustrator, painter, graphic artist and art director who works in the entertainment and gaming industry.
His art career started in 1971 when he joined the Graphic Arts department at NBC television studios in downtown Burbank. When a resident artist there, NBC was kind enough to enhance his artistic education by putting him through the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.
As on-screen graphics designer at NBC he worked for such shows as Johnny Carson’s The Tonight Show, Sanford and Son, Chico and the Man, The Flip Wilson Show, Tom Snyder’s The Tomorrow Show, The Midnight Special, The Dean Martin Show, Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In, Jeopardy, Password, and Wheel of Fortune. The relationship lasted until 1980.
In that year Hoyos started as a free lance illustrator and advertising designer. Between 1980 and 1986, he helped to create such advertising campaigns as
’s The Land Before Time, A Fish Called Wanda, The Four Seasons, and
’s Batteries Not Included.
From 1986 to 1989 he wandered around in the entertainment industry, trying to find his particular niche. He decided to try his hand at working in animation. He worked as designer and background painter for Kurtz and Friends Animation and Duck Soup Productions. At Marvel Productions he worked on projects such as Muppet Babies, Defenders of the Earth, G.I. Joe: The Movie, Transformers: The Movie, My Little Pony, and The Smurfs. Another important company to his artistic development was Calico Productions, where he worked on projects as Denver: The Last Dinosaur and The Chipmunks.
His interest in computer animation led him to
(1990-1996) where he was hired as a 2D computer animator, after which he began art directing many games, including EcoQuest 2
King’s Quest V
King's Quest VII
Leisure Suit Larry 5
Quest for Glory 3
and the Phantasmagoria series
After Sierra, Hoyos was Art Director and 3D artist for The Matrix Online
For old time's sake, he did the voice-overs of Manannan and Mordack in the VGA remake of King’s Quest III
As an artist, Hoyos creates works that are inspired by the disciplines of Joseph H. Pilates and eastern philosophies. He works with paint programs on the computer, which result in hand-signed, limited-edition prints, and also creates oil paints and oil pastel on canvas and watercolor paper.
Hoyos and his wife Michelle, who has B.A. and M.A. in Dance and has been teaching dance and Pilates for over 25 years, live in Issaquah, WA.
Also Known As
- The Art of Andy Hoyos -- Portfolio with examples of concept illustration, art direction and other work, and info about his professional experience.
- Shadowrun (2007), Microsoft Game Studios
- King's Quest III: To Heir is Human (2006),
- The Matrix Online (2005), SEGA of America, Inc., Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Inc.
- Ultima IX: Ascension (1999), Electronic Arts, Inc.
- Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh (1996), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Roberta Williams' Phantasmagoria (1995), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Roberta Williams' King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride (1994), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Lost Secret of the Rainforest (1993), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- The Dagger of Amon Ra (1992), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Jones in the Fast Lane: CD-ROM (1992), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Quest for Glory III: Wages of War (1992), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Castle of Dr. Brain (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Jones in the Fast Lane (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Mixed Up Fairy Tales (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in the Sarien Encounter (1991), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail (1990), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! (1990), Sierra On-Line, Inc.
- Oil's Well (1990), Sierra On-Line, Inc.