Richard Band was born in Los Angeles on December 28, 1953. He is the son of film producer-director-writer Albert Band, brother to producer-distributor Charles Band and uncle to young rock star Alex Band of the rock group ‘The Calling’.
Richard began his formal music studies at the Immaculate heart College in 1972, and later he studied privately with John Ringgold and composer Dorrance Stalvey of the famous "Monday Evening Concerts." Since brother Charles Band had just formed his first movie company, Richard decided to take a break from music and began to work as an assistant director on some films. He then went from assistant director to production manager and then to associate producer and producer on over 12 films.
In 1977, Richard Band left the film business and took an extended holiday in Europe to get back to his roots. He soon realized that he could perhaps marry his love for films and music by creating music for film. A few months later, Richard and Joel Goldsmith, son of famed film composer Jerry Goldsmith, approached Irwin Yablans at Compass International Distributors (Halloween
) and asked for the opportunity to score a film. After much discussion they were given $1000 to create a score for the 1978 film Laserblast
, which heralded his and Joel’s debut as film composers.
Richard has since gone on to score over 70 films and many television productions including multiple episodes of Stargate SG-1
, Walker: Texas Ranger
, and Disney's Sing Me A Story
. Richard has also scored many interactive games for companies like InterPlay, some of which include Star Trek
and Invictus: The Shadow of Olympus
Richard presently continues to work on many different projects including developing a specialized music library for films and television under the name of Gratis Music
(Taken from RichardBandMusic.com, used with permission.)
- Richard Band Music -- Richard Band's official website, which contains his biography, filmography, and a small store where you can purchase his musical scores.
- Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus (2000), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Planescape: Torment (1999), Interplay Productions Ltd.
- Clay Fighter: Sculptor's Cut (1998), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Descent to Undermountain (1998), Interplay Productions Ltd.
- Clay Fighter 63 1/3 (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Star Trek Pinball (1997), Interplay Productions Ltd.
- Waterworld (1997), Interplay Productions Ltd.
- Casper (1996), Interplay Productions, Inc.
- Conquest of the New World (1996), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Conquest of the New World (Deluxe Edition) (1996), Interplay Productions, Inc.
- Star Trek: Judgment Rites (Limited CD-ROM Collector's Edition) (1995), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Stonekeep (1995), Interplay Productions Ltd.
- Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1993), Unalis Corporation