In 1993, a teenage Mike started his games industry career with Denton Design
and Rage Software
, in Liverpool as a QA tester. Already a keen artist, he was invited to contribute a little art for some of their games, which gave him a taste of the production process. Soon he was returning as a Junior Artist on a temporary basis, when his education allowed. Titles he worked on at Dentons and Rage included "Batman Returns" on Amiga, "Krusty's Fun House" for SNES and "Power Drive" for Amiga, and "Fifa 97" for SNES.
His MTP (Media Technology and Production) degree was a multi-faceted course which covered studio based TV production, Film, Special Effects and Audio production, alongside some video game creation. Mike was able to flex many creative muscles and pick up a wide range of production skills and packages which would become useful later.
In 2001, he graduated and was employed as a junior artist for Virtucraft
. The company produced GBA titles, mostly for Bam! and the Cartoon Network. Mike produced artwork for a number of games, including "Rocky", "Comix Zone" and some "Dexter's Laboratory" games but his most prominent work at Virtucraft came in the form of artwork for their "Samurai Jack" title.
While with Virtucraft, Mike was writing and performing with his band; "Lovemonkey" in the pubs and clubs of Liverpool, Warrington, St Helens and the surrounding areas. His interest in music production would also come in handy later on.
In 2003 Mike, alongside other former employees of Virtucraft formed Rusty Nutz
and despite his inexperience, he took up the role of acting Creative Director. Rusty Nutz picked up some work, including a lot of unpublished Mobile titles and "Lemmings" for Eye Toy. In 2005, the art team were outsourced for track construction work on Bizarre creation's "Project Gotham Racing 3" for xbox 360, but altogether, the volume of unpublished work, long hours and low pay urged him to move on.
Mike was employed as an artist at mobile games company, Astraware
in 2006 where he has been most prolific to date, working on tens of games in the four years he has been with the company, and rising to Lead artist. His work there includes "Astraware Solitaire, Sudoku, Casino, Boardgames and Mahjong", "Bubble Babble", "Bubble Shuffle", "Police Range","Jetpack Jack" (artist and musician), and his outstanding claymation piece, "OddBloB" (artist and musician), amongst others, with more games to be released...
- OddBloB (2010), Astraware Limited, Handmark, Inc.
- Astraware Casino (2009), Handmark, Inc.
- Astraware Solitaire (2009), Handmark, Inc.
- Bubble Babble (2009), Handmark, Inc.
- Bubble Shuffle (2009), Handmark, Inc.
- Crazy Daisy (2009), Handmark, Inc.
- Tradewinds 2 (2009), Handmark, Inc.
- Astraware Boardgames (2008), Handmark, Inc.
- Bejeweled Deluxe (2003), Astraware Limited
- Samurai Jack: The Amulet of Time (2003), BAM! Entertainment, Inc.
- Bookworm Deluxe (2002), Astraware Limited
- Comix Zone (2002), SEGA Europe Ltd.
- Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits (2001), Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.
- Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus (2000), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
- Power Drive (1994), U.S. Gold Ltd.