Forums > Suggestions > Exclusive Games available only on One Platform

branden Johnson on 1/20/2015 4:50 AM · Permalink · Report

I am new to MobyGames and must say from what little time I have explored I am very excited about reading more and how it is all layed out very user friendly and pleasing to the eyes.

Just as an example look what the developers and Microsoft has done with Halo! I have a friend that bought a xbox just so he could play Halo. This also drives the used/trade and resale value of a collection!

Was wondering if there is a way to single out games that are exclusive to only a certain platform or console or what not. I found a way to find the games by platform from what you call it but just was not sure if there is already a way to find exclusives games and if not thought it would be a great feature as I would like to be able to collect games and platforms that are only available one!!

Keep it up MobyGames!!!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/20/2015 6:06 AM · Permalink · Report

It's tough to track because many games begin as platform exclusive titles, but then over the fullness of time are ported (or pop up in eg. the Virtual Console.) All we can claim with authority is that at a given moment in time, a game hasn't yet made it over to another platform.

Nélio (1976) on 1/20/2015 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, and a game may be listed here as single platform simply because no one added release information for additional platforms of that game.

Alaka (106069) on 1/20/2015 9:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I know Wikipedia has some platform exclusive lists. That site is better set up to handle this type of inquiry.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/21/2015 12:20 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Alaka wrote--]I know Wikipedia has some platform exclusive lists. That site is better set up to handle this type of inquiry. [/Q --end Alaka wrote--] This site is better set up to handle exactly this type of inquiry, since it is database driven. It's just that the database functionality is locked up.

Alaka (106069) on 1/21/2015 1:27 AM · Permalink · Report

True, but as of now, Wikipedia > Mobygames in this category and unfortunately, I don't see that changing in any reasonable amount of time.

Nélio (1976) on 1/24/2015 11:52 AM · Permalink · Report

That's probably the thing I'm most looking forward to change. Proper game browsing with advanced filtering (with ANDs, ORs, ranges, etc.). Mostly complicated because of the necessary UI revamp but the searching itself isn't difficult to implement because we have the data.

Indra was here (20756) on 1/26/2015 4:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start branden Johnson wrote--]Was wondering if there is a way to single out games that are exclusive to only a certain platform or console or what not.

I found a way to find the games by platform from what you call it but just was not sure if there is already a way to find exclusives games and if not thought it would be a great feature as I would like to be able to collect games and platforms that are only available one!! [/Q --end branden Johnson wrote--] I do not fully comprehend this request, need further information:

i.e. Does this refer to the your personal have / want lists or does this refer to the MG game browser. Please advise and refer to a direct example so I can updated this to the master list and suggestions tracker immediately. Danke.

Alaka (106069) on 1/26/2015 6:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Basically wants this. This could possibly be done with game groups but specific rules of what belongs would have to be agreed upon.

Indra was here (20756) on 1/26/2015 6:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Alaka wrote--]Basically wants this. This could possibly be done with game groups but specific rules of what belongs would have to be agreed upon. [/Q --end Alaka wrote--] Hmm. We can pretty much handle this immediately from a game group perspective. Do not fully comprehend the alternatives from a coding perspective though. Anyway, if it's a game group, then here's a tentative description, subject to change from additional input:

Dreamcast Exclusive

Games that have been released exclusively (read=only) for the Dreamcast platform.

Limitations

• Any game that is available on more than one platform are excluded from this game group.
  • Please do not add compilations or special edition releases and its equivalents to this game group.
<hr />

See Wikipedia link provided by Alaka for example games. Use this template description and change platform name accordingly for new game groups.

Cavalary (11445) on 1/26/2015 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

A game group would be messy, needing removals whenever ports appear or are found out, games added whenever that's the case, and I doubt anybody'd keep track to update all of them, for every platform, all the time. A code addition to be able to select "exclusive" when you select a platform in the browser would at least always output all games that are listed solely for that platform in the database, though of course that'll only be as accurate as the database is and there should be a disclaimer for that. Then again, what do you do for PC? Count as one platform or the way it's here, OS-based?

Indra was here (20756) on 1/26/2015 3:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ah, so I guess the only feasible suggestions are (a) the ability to remove games from game groups (already listed...er, I think) and (b) the ability to exclude/deselect all platforms (all but one) in the game browser?

The later (b) can be added to the suggestions list. Is this one alternative of what you guys are talking about?