Forums > Find a game > RPGMaker-like, probably tough call...

Cavalary (11445) on 12/28/2014 12:03 PM · Permalink · Report

All right, keep meaning to ask of this, may be the toughest out of the games I played and I remember specific things about (otherwise something I listed here in the file as "something with a dragon and an orb, not Dragonsphere" may take the cake) and couldn't seem to track it down myself whenever I tried.

Looked like a RPGMaker game, though I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere that it was made in that or recognizing that file structure (as I was fooling around with that myself at the time), so may just be a 16-bit style game. I seem to recall that when there was a combat instead of switching to a battle screen the picture of the enemy just popped up. I think.
Something specific was that when in "dungeons" you could only see a short distance around the character, though I couldn't say whether the rest was completely hidden or just dark enough and it was during the time I had a failing monitor so it was invisible for me.
Something even more specific, starting enemies, in the area immediately around the starting town, were zombies and I believe droids, and you were told, not sure if in the game itself or the readme or both, to flee from droids until you level up a little, as at first you can only kill zombies.
Think the toughest random enemies I faced as far as I could get were called lieutenants and were wearing something greenish. Level 22 or 23 or 32. Then there was a dungeon with a mandatory fight at some point that was bugged, remember defeating that thing (can't remember what it was) several times and then writing the guy who made the game to let him know it doesn't go away and he said sorry about that, bug fixed in the next version, but didn't bother with it anymore.
Where I got it from, no idea, but somewhere on-line as a free game, obviously. Likely homebrew, Windows game, but the year will be far tougher to narrow down. May be 2001 give or take a year, possibly, though less likely, two, but may also be 2006 or 2007. Can't be 2004 or 2005.

Cavalary (11445) on 6/10/2015 1:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Just an up to keep the topic from locking, in case somebody'll get an idea someday. Said this was a hard one...

Game Guesser (28) on 6/13/2015 7:56 PM · Permalink · Report

so when you say the enemies appeared right on screen, do you mean something like Aspetra? That isn't the one you're looking for, but I'm making sure that's the kind of encounter system you're remembering.

Cavalary (11445) on 6/14/2015 11:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope. What I recall was simply a box showing up with the enemy, on top of the regular view that stayed on screen around it. So no actual battle screen, just a sort of battle... pop-up. Can't recall if that pop-up had any sort of background or was just plain, showing just the enemy.