Forums > Bugs > Redesign bugs

chirinea (47504) on 9/11/2013 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

One of the things I've mentioned during the QA of the redesign was that the several lists function was lost, and it still is lost. I'm really sad to see that my "finished" list is gone, I'll try to access Google's cache and see if I can recover all the info I've put there.

Also, the page links for for the forums are appearing one under the other. I'm using Firefox here.

Cantillon (75426) on 9/11/2013 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

The threaded view of the forums also does not work anymore.

Cantillon (75426) on 9/11/2013 9:35 PM · Permalink · Report

All links in the approval queue just send me back to the main approval page.

Havoc Crow (29798) on 9/11/2013 10:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

1. The Comments field on the "release info" page seems to be too narrow for the space that is available, so much that a 40-character release comment is broken into two lines.

2. Credits on the rap sheet display an apostrophe ' after each developer's name which has a nickname in brackets.

3. Names of non-entities in credits are displayed on the Rap Sheet in brackets and with apostrophes in front of them.

4. Individual rows in the credits table aren't at all separated, which makes it hard to tell the rows apart.

5. On the Technical Specs page, the phrase "Supported Systems/Models" is too long for the table column, and it spills out onto the beginning of the second column.

6. On the Rap Sheet, the MobyRank ratings are clickable, but this does nothing, just brings you back to the top of the page.

7. The "report/quote/reply/send pm" functions are shown one after the other.

8. The individual posts are so small that, for one-line posts, the 120x120 avatars spill out into the next forum post.

9. The "Did You Know?" section on each game's Rap Sheet also displays deleted trivia items. (See e.g. Earthbound for an example.)

10. Screenshots for this game are displayed in the wrong order when accessed directly from the game's Rap Sheet (they're displayed in wrong order both on the Rap Sheet itself, and in the pop-up box that shows when you click a screenshot, but they're displayed correctly on the Screenshots page). So far, however, I've seen only this one game to be affected by this bug.

If you wish, here's an image that shows the bugs in action...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/11/2013 11:46 PM · Permalink · Report

For very brief forum posts, the user's avatar spills out from the post.

MAT (240569) on 9/12/2013 2:59 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am using Chrome and these are the bugs I've encountered so far:

USER PAGE

1. Currently have systems seem to appear grouped (if user has, say, two PCs, only one will appear).

2. Currently have systems don't show any comment.

3. Both MobyClassic and MobyDark themese seem to look the same.

4. Inbox and Outbox message buttons show the same list.

5. In game collections, order by title is not ordered alphabetically, seems random.

6. In game collections, cover displayed is not that of the selected platform.

7. There is no manual adding of game to game collection (before that was the only way to add two identical games if someone has more than one copies in his/her collection).

8. There is constantly "1 message" written in the upper right corner, but there are no new not-viewed messages in my messages page, inbox nor outbox.

9. It says "Your are using 22 of your allotted 1000 messages." while I've deleted them all and there are no visible messages.

LISTS

1. Top contributors list shows a strange dot image after every user.

2. Top contributors list has "Currently playing:" text before listing all the systems user has.

GAME PAGE

1. When credits aren't added to the game, there is still Credits link available instead of it being grayed with "Add It" option next to it like for other features.

HOME PAGE

1. Submission in progress does no longer appear on the front page (I had some entering credits in progress, so I had to go to the game and submit credits to notice there are some still in the progress).

Alaka (105740) on 9/12/2013 4:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The approval home no longer lets approvers create new game groups, merge/spiit developers,etc... All those options are missing. Also, the creator of a game group is no longer given credit.

Terok Nor (41733) on 9/12/2013 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]One of the things I've mentioned during the QA of the redesign was that the several lists function was lost, and it still is lost. I'm really sad to see that my "finished" list is gone, I'll try to access Google's cache and see if I can recover all the info I've put there. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Please don't tell me the lists are gone, just that they aren't displayed right now. I had something like five different lists....

Patrick Bregger (298416) on 9/12/2013 7:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I had about a dozen have lists and five or six want lists. However, it seems the lists are only hidden. The lists have not been merged, I have access to the list which used to be on top with about 100 games and my overall game count is almost 1000 games - so it still counts them.

MAT (240569) on 9/12/2013 8:20 AM · Permalink · Report

From our viewpoint, they do seem to be merged. I dunno how they appear in the database.

Is there a way to add same game twice with current design?

Havoc Crow (29798) on 9/12/2013 8:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I tried contributing release info, and the wizard never progresses past the loading animation once you click "continue".

Also, if you pull one of your release info submissions from the approval queue and choose to edit it, then--instead of the wizard popping up--you will see a chaotic mess of textboxes and checkboxes sprinkled all over the HTML page.

Uploaded images cannot be deleted in the credit editor.

jaXen (261021) on 9/12/2013 2:04 PM · Permalink · Report

E-Mail and homepage state that I have 1 new message, but this message is not displayed in my inbox. (Using Firefox)

Karsa Orlong (151849) on 9/14/2013 10:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Same here

jaXen (261021) on 9/21/2013 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start jaXen wrote--]E-Mail and homepage state that I have 1 new message, but this message is not displayed in my inbox. (Using Firefox) [/Q --end jaXen wrote--]

I deleted all my messages but still read that I've 1 unread message.

MAT (240569) on 9/22/2013 12:39 AM · Permalink · Report

I have 3 by now :) It adds one every week, hehe. Also it say I am using 24 or 1000 messages, but they are all deleted. This site is kaput.

Havoc Crow (29798) on 9/12/2013 9:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

On the main page, in the "Top Contributors" section, the users' system lists are displayed instead of their "Currently Playing" lists.

jaXen (261021) on 9/12/2013 10:22 PM · Permalink · Report

While contributing moby ranks the auto language selection (e.g. English for IGN) is disabled.

Havoc Crow (29798) on 9/14/2013 7:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

While approving game group entries, there is no line break (or a space) after the "Group description" header, so the header and the group description are on one line, which looks ugly.

The "Pending/Approve/Reject/Escalate/Wip It" radio buttons no longer scroll with the page.

If multiple games have been submitted to one group at a time, in the approval wizard there's no separation between the games at all (they used to be separated with a different table background color), making it confusing.

In the game approval wizard, if you click any of the "edit description", "edit credits" etc. links to the side, the window that pops up has a black background.

MAT (240569) on 9/15/2013 1:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The "1 message" bug was fixed. It now says "2 messages" LOLROTF!

One thing that is fixed, however, is the forum avatars no longer break the message section. Small step for mobygames, but huge for mankind ;) 1 down, 999 more to go. No really, gotta cheer for any sort of fix I can find, no matter how trivial :)

Design fixes over functionality fixes is what I root for O//

Indra was here (20760) on 9/15/2013 3:53 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Next step would obviously be to fix this limited width thing (though all you have to do is just enlarge, but that's beside the point).. Later fonts and proper paragraph breaks.

Few others (and some on other websites) mentioned that the nice thing about the older layout is that everything was seen on one page without the need to scroll everything.

MAT (240569) on 9/15/2013 4:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, width is the main problem for me on 1080p resolution. Especially since middle part shows info on two third of it and leaves the rest for unnecessary trivia or empty buy it now box :) It shouldn't be fixed to any resolution, not the website of this magnitude.

jaXen (261021) on 9/15/2013 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

mobyPoints on profile page is no longer updated, the displayed score in the upper right corner is correct.

Corn Popper (69035) on 9/15/2013 6:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Well at least one person noticed...

jaXen (261021) on 9/15/2013 8:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Well at least one person noticed... [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Another bug found me :-(

MAT (240569) on 9/17/2013 7:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Is it normal to see Google Ad on home page? I think I have them turned off and definitely earned enough points to be able to enjoy the site without them taking what little space this new design provides :)

MAT (240569) on 9/17/2013 9:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Whay is COVER link disabled for this game that has covers?

http://mobygames.com/game/61934/cover-art

EDIT - nevermind, semed to have been the lag after uploading covers, but still, now there is no way to see there are covers on file as soon as they're uploaded, especially since the covers button is disabled until the page generates or something.

jaXen (261021) on 9/17/2013 9:00 PM · Permalink · Report

By the way, I'm not getting e-mail notifications for approved items since last week.

MAT (240569) on 9/18/2013 1:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, I just noticed that there is no New Covers tab in the new contributions on home page.

Also, only 2-3 new contributions are shown per type, that's too small, should be grouped by game like before and showed for last five games, not like now, showing last 2-3 screenshots uploaded and that's that.

And when you go to see View All, you don't see all for certain section but all stuff contributed. Without basic lists we can have endless paginations, that's just no good, imho.

I don;t want to look for some 253rd page to see something I could've seen on the single page.

MAT (240569) on 9/20/2013 7:12 AM · Permalink · Report

I guess nobody is doing anything to fix it. It's been what, a week and it's still such an unusable site? They could've at least switched back to old version if they don't expect bugs to be fixed prior to 2020.

So much for MobyGames... I better go see how gamefaqs.com is doing, at least their site seems stable and pretty fast in comparison, even though not as detailed and informative as old MG. Ah well...

Havoc Crow (29798) on 9/21/2013 10:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't know if it was that way in the old design, but in my queue of pending company alternate names, the companies are all marked by the name I submitted rather than the name the company has in the database.

E.g.

The company is in the database as Union Software of Silesia Rousers

<hr>

I've just taken a look at my pending credits queue, too--for some reason one set of credits (my pending credits for Red Shark 2) is fully displayed, but others aren't (maybe it's because these credits use groups and other don't?):

MAT (240569) on 9/22/2013 12:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't think that is the case with the credits. I have three credits pending approval, they all have groups and display properly in my queue. Some I added before the site update and some even after this site was updated. Not sure what might be causing your credits to appear like that. Could it be that you didn't add them like a new list but added only missing credits to credits that were already on file for those cases that do not show properly?

Havoc Crow (29798) on 9/22/2013 7:49 AM · Permalink · Report

That's what I meant, credits with groups show up properly, credits without groups don't.

MAT (240569) on 9/22/2013 1:35 PM · Permalink · Report

and the invisible messages keep on rising, one per week, hehe, now I seem to have 4 invisible messages :P

MAT (240569) on 9/23/2013 3:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]and the invisible messages keep on rising, one per week, hehe, now I seem to have 4 invisible messages :P [/Q --end MAT wrote--]

And now have already 6 messages, but don't see any. Can it be that we can send messages to other users, but recipient cannot see them?

vedder (70667) on 9/23/2013 6:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Where do you see that, I don't see how many messages I have anywhere.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/23/2013 8:37 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Where do you see that, I don't see how many messages I have anywhere. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]I was about to send you a love letter, only to find out that when you click on "send message", it now takes you back to your own rapsheet. It didn't do that last week.

Wonderful. Apparently, you can still break things after it's broken. :p

Indra was here (20760) on 9/23/2013 10:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra is watching it all burn... wrote--] Wonderful. Apparently, you can still break things after it's broken. :p [/Q --end Indra is watching it all burn... wrote--]Oops. My bad. Apparently had to scroll down.

You should have two messages now, vedder.

vedder (70667) on 9/23/2013 11:14 AM · Permalink · Report

If it's anything other than a declaration of love I'll be sorely disappointed. I'll read it when the site's fix-..snicker

MAT (240569) on 9/23/2013 9:46 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Where do you see that, I don't see how many messages I have anywhere. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

In the upper right corner, right next to Sign Out link, below the name with points.

Maybe you don't have any messages. I sent you one, which I can see in the OUTBOX.

But I think the number of messages only refers to unseen ones. But since I cannot see them, who knows. Let me know if you could see the message I sent you. And if its not a problem, try sending me one.

vedder (70667) on 9/23/2013 10:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah I see 1 message now. I guess I'm not popular enough :P

MAT (240569) on 9/24/2013 12:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Yeah I see 1 message now. I guess I'm not popular enough :P [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Did you try sending me one? I still see 6 messages but can't see any. Also, I've deleted the one I sent you, I wonder if it disappeared on your end as well. LOL, who knows what's possible with the new design.

It's amazing how noone is doing anything to make this site at least functional as soon as possible. Why the hell did GameFly buy MobyGames, I wonder. They should sell it to someone who cares.

vedder (70667) on 9/22/2013 1:51 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JudgeDeadd wrote--]That's what I meant, credits with groups show up properly, credits without groups don't. [/Q --end JudgeDeadd wrote--]

That used to be the case before the redesign as well.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/24/2013 11:00 PM · Permalink · Report

it seems that the notifications now get to our email inbox. I still can't see messages in my MG inbox though. I think the received messages box is the one with a problem, as both inbox and outbox show only the messages I sent...

jaXen (261021) on 9/25/2013 7:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start The Last Approver has deserted wrote--]it seems that the notifications now get to our email inbox. I still can't see messages in my MG inbox though. I think the received messages box is the one with a problem, as both inbox and outbox show only the messages I sent... [/Q --end The Last Approver has deserted wrote--]

Strange, works fine for me now. Mobygames notices were never a problem for me, even not after the redesign.

Karsa Orlong (151849) on 10/3/2013 9:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Weird, as I only receive random notification via mail.
The other problem is I still have empty PM box and it shows me 4 new messages and "Your are using 135 of your allotted 1000 messages."
I noticed that some bugs have been fixed recently. Still - most critical problem - WIPed contribution access stays unresolved. And second critical issue - we can not add many things to existing games, as there is no access to the old game contribution panel. These two should be fixed at first place.

Fred VT (25953) on 10/3/2013 10:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Forums threaded view still doesn't work. And I don't think this is the hardest one to fix...

MAT (240569) on 10/4/2013 12:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start erav wrote--]Weird, as I only receive random notification via mail.
The other problem is I still have empty PM box and it shows me 4 new messages and "Your are using 135 of your allotted 1000 messages."
I noticed that some bugs have been fixed recently. Still - most critical problem - WIPed contribution access stays unresolved. And second critical issue - we can not add many things to existing games, as there is no access to the old game contribution panel. These two should be fixed at first place. [/Q --end erav wrote--]

WIPing covers seem to be working, as I WIPed some last week and got them resubmitted by the user.

Could it be that things you can add can also be WIPed, and things you cannot ad normally cannot be visible when WIPed?

I also have 8 messages by now, and none of them are still visible.

So, I wasn't the only one noticing some bugs have been fixed, I see.

I still find the AJAX loading covers/screenshots to be most troublesome as it takes very long time and sometimes they don't ever finish loading :(

MAT (240569) on 10/4/2013 1:00 AM · Permalink · Report

BTW, I see some alternate titles are in the queue since after the design update, but I don't know where I can submit an alternate title for a game. Where is that in the new design?

Karsa Orlong (151849) on 10/4/2013 7:27 AM · Permalink · Report

No it's not fixed, You can go for the covers by adding new set and matching the WIPed covers. Then You have access to previously added covers.

You can add some infos (f.e. alternative title) when adding new game entry as that's the only place where old game contribution panel is available for now.

MAT (240569) on 10/4/2013 10:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks. Seems like the two of us are the only ones still doing some work, for as much as it can be done ;)

Karsa Orlong (151849) on 10/4/2013 11:26 AM · Permalink · Report

As for as I know, there are 4 active approvers at the moment (after +/- one month break), but the WIP issue highly limits our work. Hope this will change soon and MG will survive in any on-line form...

Havoc Crow (29798) on 10/7/2013 8:31 AM · Permalink · Report

As far as I can tell, for multi-platform games, when viewing an entry for a specific platform, there's no "combined view" link that would take you back to the combined rap sheet for all platforms.

It's not made clear just what platform you are on, other than looking at the URL or the title bar. E.g. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/half-life-2 never mentions the Windows platform anywhere. What's more, if you click the "Windows" link in the Platforms section you then unexpectedly get redirected to the Game Browser, i.e. it behaves differently than other links which look exactly the same.

Furthermore, the release date showing up on the Rap Sheet is still the release date for the country that the visitor is from, not the real first release date (e.g. Half-Life 2's rapsheet claims for me that the release date is Dec 29, 2004, i.e. the release date in Poland, as opposed to the real earliest release -- Nov 16, 2004.)

MAT (240569) on 10/8/2013 3:02 AM · Permalink · Report

There isn't, but I'm not sure if they even intended to have it in a new design. Even if you are looking a single platform, whenever you click on Screenshots or Ratings or Covers, by default it shows you all platforms so you have to select a single platform in a drop-down select box again. Probably the latter should be fixed.

But I somehow feel it may be pointless to talk about error at this point, because if Brian is working on it, he knows what old template did, and he will probably add all the missing feature to this new one before the next fix gets pushed out.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/8/2013 8:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]But I somehow feel it may be pointless to talk about errors at this point... [/Q --end MAT wrote--]You're late by about two weeks, mate. :p

Cantillon (75426) on 10/8/2013 8:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]There isn't, but I'm not sure if they even intended to have it in a new design. Even if you are looking a single platform, whenever you click on Screenshots or Ratings or Covers, by default it shows you all platforms so you have to select a single platform in a drop-down select box again. Probably the latter should be fixed.

But I somehow feel it may be pointless to talk about error at this point, because if Brian is working on it, he knows what old template did, and he will probably add all the missing feature to this new one before the next fix gets pushed out. [/Q --end MAT wrote--] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot

MAT (240569) on 10/9/2013 1:33 AM · Permalink · Report

I know the story without checking. Since elementary school ;)

Karsa Orlong (151849) on 10/15/2013 9:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Can't remove screens from credits

Karsa Orlong (151849) on 10/16/2013 12:14 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I guess there was an update TODAY as MORE FUNCTIONS GET DOWN. I can't add any additional info about the game (alternate title, cheats, release, and all others except credits) when adding a new entry, although this was working just yesterday. Contribution panel on the left isn't working either. Can't believe this :/.

Fred VT (25953) on 10/16/2013 1:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start erav wrote--]I guess there was an update TODAY as MORE FUNCTIONS GET DOWN. I can't add any additional info about the game (alternate title, cheats, release, and all others except credits) when adding a new entry, although this was working just yesterday. Contribution panel on the left isn't working either. Can't believe this :/. [/Q --end erav wrote--]

Seriously? And here I am just waiting for the functionality to be back to resume my MG activity. I guess that time may as well never come :(

Parf (7873) on 10/16/2013 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

"Get down" or "taken down"? Without sounding like a conspiracy nut here... But the non responses and more and more stuff "breaking" on the user and approver side. Anyone else get the feeling they are simply trying to slowly take complete control themselves, cutting out the opinionated user base and their meddling and needs? It's way more convenient to use your own staff to add stuff here, because then the focus can be adding games available from the rental service which is more relevant to the paying subscribers instead. It's just more convenient to have a finished database to use as a backbone for this instead of making one from scratch.

Fred VT (25953) on 10/16/2013 2:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]"Get down" or "taken down"? Without sounding like a conspiracy nut here... But the non responses and more and more stuff "breaking" on the user and approver side. Anyone else get the feeling they are simply trying to slowly take complete control themselves, cutting out the opinionated user base and their meddling and needs? It's way more convenient to use your own staff to add stuff here, because then the focus can be adding games available from the rental service which is more relevant to the paying subscribers instead. It's just more convenient to have a finished database to use as a backbone for this instead of making one from scratch. [/Q --end Parf wrote--]

Yep, it's pretty much what we've been figuring out at MG Troll Pub. At this point, even incompetence has its limits...

MAT (240569) on 10/17/2013 5:20 AM · Permalink · Report

I just wish someone would remove those rotating loader images, and remove the unnecessary This Day in Gaming on front page, and add Covers under new contributions. Rest I can take it getting slowly fixed.

I, however, don't seem myself adding any more credits until a lot more old functionality gets returned.

Still have faith in Brian if he is working on it with the new manager/designer as Rob prompted, though ;)