🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > joyvalley hits 20,000

chirinea (47495) on 1/22/2009 9:25 PM · Permalink · Report

This seems to be a great year of contributions here in MobyGames. We just had our first 100,000 points contributor and even before January ends another contributor has reached a remarkable milestone. Our German contributor joyvalley just broke the 20,000 points barrier and is almost with 21,000 points already! The reason for growing on points so fast is his huge amount of cover submissions, one of our best paid contributions in the site (3 points each). Congratulations, joyvalley!

DreinIX (10446) on 1/22/2009 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations joyvalley!

May you keep the pending queue full at all times.

Amen.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/22/2009 10:28 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] May you keep the pending queue full at all times.

Amen. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

Amen. ;-)

Congratulations.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/22/2009 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Congrats !

LepricahnsGold (142745) on 1/22/2009 11:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Congrats, man.

Xoleras (66141) on 1/23/2009 1:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, and when he takes a break from submitting scans of his never-end game collection, he submits electronic covers. :P

Glückwunsch, Thomas! :)

Big John WV (26954) on 1/23/2009 1:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Huge congrats to you joyvalley!!!

Evil Ryu (66052) on 1/23/2009 2:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Congrats! =D

Alaka (106092) on 1/23/2009 4:33 AM · Permalink · Report

A joyous occasion for joyvalley. Congrats.

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/23/2009 4:36 AM · Permalink · Report

5588 covers and probably going up as I type, whoa! Congratulations, joyvalley!

Klaster_1 (57612) on 1/23/2009 4:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Congrats to Joyvalley!

If you read this, answer the question: how many time do you spend editing covers? I have near 7 Gigabytes of raw scans and barely no free time to thoroughly clear and cut them, it's really tough work.

Sciere (930489) on 1/23/2009 8:39 AM · Permalink · Report

It's an insane amount of PC games you have, great job on scanning all of those.

formercontrib (157510) on 1/23/2009 1:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks to all of you! :)

Not much to say about myselves, i'm totally crazy, weird and stupid, approvers and admins can confirm this, they're having a hard time with me and you should not "honor" me, i want to give a big, big thanx to all of them, especially to Jeanne & Xoleras who still help me a lot all the time and have really much to do with approving at least 48-72 hrs. every day!!!, especially when MobyGames almost drives me mad ;), but also to all others like Sciere, Corn Popper, Kit Silva, B.L. Stryker, Kabushi, Terok Nor and all others i'd forgotten now, those are the boys and girls you should honor.

I'm still unhappy and want to say sorry when i'm to often a little agressive.

My greatest problems are still the english language, but more than this my hardware (using a P4 1.8 GHz with 256 MB SDRAM a Geforce 3-Ti200 with 64 MB, 80 GB of HDD space, USB2.0 scanner on USB1.1 ports only - don't know if this will make scanning much slower??? and running out of Webspace too), that make's it impossible for me to scan on higher resolutions Moby and their members prefer, only a few scans on 300dpi or higher and my "system" from 2001, goes absolutely in it's knees :( and most of my scans were made years ago for a german gaming museum with 150dpi only and of poor quality, enough for them, lucky for me years ago :) only the last weeks when starting with medias i made new scans with 200dpi ... hope one day i will have the money to buy an new pc (all day waiting for the big crash of my PC from Nov. 2001!), up-to-date and then with the option to make it much better.

But i'm afraid even then, it will be impossible for me to contribute as much as i want to - days and nights are definitly to short, credits, german release infos, product codes, adding new games and lots more, wrong decision that i haven't got the time years ago to start, now almost 40 years old, i'm running out of time, the overall "potential" is still almost endless, even that there are so many games i own that have existing covers and credits, and informations from so many hard-working contributors, that worked and still work for several years for Moby - those are all the guys to honor - not me, i'm afraid i will never be able, stand-alone, to submit all the things i could possibly do from my private collection, and the next weeks and months i have to set more concentration on other things, in my private life (for sure some approvers will think "Thank god!" ;), so i have to slow down ... and if some people from South Germany out there, who have nothing better to do ;) come and visit me - bring your Laptops... ;)

Sciere (930489) on 1/23/2009 3:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Sounds like something Oliver might do? =) Just getting to know how you manage to store all those games without folding the covers would be interesting.

formercontrib (157510) on 1/23/2009 3:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Sounds like something Oliver might do? =) Just getting to know how you manage to store all those games without folding the covers would be interesting. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

I made long ago some photos, no more webspace at the moment available, and i think the pictures are more than 1,5 years old, and only show parts of my collection, the empty space is filled in the meantime about 110% :( , and they're so old - that i have now i think at least 1.000 games more (and a few weeks ago i took the "few" console games into my lounge... and because of the situation - in the room that was planned to be a guest room 15 years ago in my owner-occupied-flat (now it has lots of special guests ;) ... moving is almost impossible for an old man like me, shooting photos is impossible because of the short distance between the shelves, all i have for the moment... take a look here, at Gamestar.de, i uploaded some photos (as said 1,5 years and not as many games then now), that gives a little bit an impression...about storing:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1179&pk=405200&fk=598

Sciere (930489) on 1/23/2009 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Lovely! I see you even managed to keep them in alphabetical order.

formercontrib (157510) on 1/23/2009 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Alphabetical: Yes, almost all and like database style: Der, Die, Das, The will be ignored from mine: Der Herr der Ringe is Herr der Ringe, Der - so H not D ...

The larger it get's the more stupid it is, because i'm stupid, i thought so often to give it up, but it had became so large, i don't want to offer them all as "gifts", i never paid money for it, all i made was about 5 years of "Extreme"-Ebaying, i recognized that i'm not bad in buying and selling (my former job) i took what i want, and sold the others - the result was: 5 years of spending almost every second for it, to get it for free. My collection is huge, too huge, it isn't so worthy like the collections of "real collectors" (even that most of them have only a few percent of games than i have), i don't own so many really expensive games, i never had the money and the interest, i shaked my head so often when i see people (with too much money) paying hundreds, sometimes thousands of Euros or USD for rare items - okay that's collecting, the thing i did i call hoarding ;) - that's perhaps more stupid, but games were never a money investment or an object of speculation, i wanted "good" playable games, even that this is a very subjective point of view... i'd seen so many "real collectors" since 2001, so many of them were gone, running out of money, because they never selled anything and paid imo X?!?!XY amounts, then they get into serious trouble and sold them often for an apple and an egg, or lost the interest. Something i loose more often the older i get, the day will come when i finally (not finally i said it often enough) say: "Hey, you're totally mad, you're almost 40 years old - and you act like an 7-year-old-kiddie - what the hell you're doing here?!" ... but there are several problems i see: 1.) i totally lost interest in Ebay over the years, there were times i sold up to 400 auctions a month - and at the end, i was - and still be: Totally outburned :((( ... thinking about: How will you sell so many games, games from which you know you get for half of them 1 Euro. What a work, for years i'm afraid of, i was often enough in crisis, never rich - often poor. You were down and stood up again and again, why should you gave up - with so much work to do, to sell the whole thing?" And there's another thing: I spended so much heart-blood into it, the thought to finally end it, after so much work - and seeing that it will all be gone...

As i'm said, i'm almost 40 ... i'm crazy, i'm stupid, i'm not proud of what i have, but to give it up???... i'm afraid i reached an point of no return. I'm not consequent enough to say: "Fuck! This is all a peace of crap, what you did over the years, instead of playing i do everything else - STOP IT, Thomas!!!"... if this is a midlife-crisis, then i have it way to often... ;) :(

Not that anyone is interested in such things, but perhaps some of you - not for video games only, it's an thing for life overall find themselves in similar situations ? ;)

Or what's the motivation to contribute 100.000 points for Moby, be an admin of the site, spending every free minute into it? We're all crazy, some of us more... some less, that's life ... the good thing is: One day it will end, and all the open questions will be closed... ;)

Xoleras (66141) on 1/23/2009 4:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Boah, I'm speechless! :)

By the way, I wonder whether Mom has more books in the library at work or joyvalley game packages in his home. :P

Evil Ryu (66052) on 2/11/2009 3:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

None

Big John WV (26954) on 2/11/2009 5:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Evil Ryu wrote--] [/Q --end Evil Ryu wrote--]

Ah, I get it, LOL. It actually took me a few mintues to figure it out.