Forum Search  
View Mode: threaded | watch thread

Revision of the genres

Sciere (408618) on May 21, 2016

The past few months tweaks to the genre classification system have been implemented. This is work approvers have been discussing for years and is now being worked into the site in small steps. So far, there has been an overhaul of the Basic Genres, Gameplay and the Perspectives. New genre categories added include Visual Presentation, Art Style, Pacing and Narrative Theme/Topic. Others are still coming or half only been implemented in part so far, such as Vehicular Themes and Setting. A full overview of the genre definitions (also available when adding a new game) can be read here. While new game entries need to pick up the new genres right away, it may take years until all existing game entries have been edited manually with the updated genres.

For this update, I'd like to highlight the addition of the genre categories Interface/Control and DLC/Add-on.

Interface/Control describes how users interact with the majority of game with the options Direct Control, Multiple Units/Characters Control, Voice Control, Menu Structures, Point and Select, Motion Control and Text Parser.

DLC/Add-on was added to structure the content of DLC, expansions and add-ons in a logical and relative way in addition to the description. However, it also brings about some other changes because the influx of DLC has been affecting the database. DLC/Add-ons already no longer go into specific game groups except for the main series, but they were also adding a lot of noise to the gameographies of development studios on the company pages and the other genres in general. Therefore, from now on:
  • DLC/Add-ons have become a main genre and do not receive any other genres. If it adds a new genre element to the game (a new perspective, a new theme, a new gameplay element), only then can an additional genre be added. In all other cases the genres of the base game are assumed. Compilations of DLC/Add-ons only receive the Compilation genre.

• DLC/Add-ons only have a publisher/distributor and no developer or any other company roles in release info items, unless they are unique to that DLC/Add-on. In all other cases the developer is assumed to be identical to the main game.

• DLC/Add-ons now have a separate DLC/Add-ons genre category where the content is selected, next to the overview in the description: Currency, Customization / Outfit / Skin, Enemy, Extras, Game Mode, Item, Map / Level, Other, Player Unit and Story / Mission
In the future, the 'noise' created by special editions will most likely be handled in the same way.

Re: Revision of the genres

Sciere (408618) on May 21, 2016

(Edited by Sciere (408618), May 21, 2016)

Evolyzer (13715) on May 21, 2016

Thank you. That are great news :)

BlaringCoder (168) on May 21, 2016

Thanks a lot, excellent news here!

Simon Carless (1152) on May 21, 2016

And I believe we're discussing some way to link DLC with the main entry for an item, correct? What is the latest idea on that, Tracy or anyone else who knows? I remember seeing a thread on it somewhere or other...

BTW, AMAZING work here - so glad we got this through and are still pushing it through further :)

(Edited by Simon Carless (1152), May 21, 2016)

Tracy Poff (1807) on May 21, 2016

What is the latest idea on that, Tracy or anyone else who knows?

I'm thinking the thing to do will be to implement a many-many relation between games: "X is an add-on/DLC for Y". Adding new kinds of submissions is a rather involved process, though, so we'll want to be pretty sure of things before we do anything. I was planning to open a thread to collect information, so look forward to that discussion soon-ish.

MAT (145029) on May 21, 2016

If we do this connection to DLCs and base game, we might try and do the same for various editions of the game as well, like special, collector's, limited, and such.

jaXen (41991) on May 25, 2016

Sciere Wrote:
DLC/Add-ons only have a publisher/distributor and no developer or any other company roles in release info items, unless they are unique to that DLC/Add-on. In all other cases the developer is assumed to be identical to the main game.

Based upon that there are no credits allowed for DCL/Add-on...Right?

Alaka (40406) on May 25, 2016

I've added DLC credits before that had some developers names that were not mentioned in the base game, so I would think credits will still be needed for DLC.

Evolyzer (13715) on May 25, 2016

If the credits are specific for the addon/DLC, why not?..

MAT (145029) on May 26, 2016

More to the fact that in the past we only had add-ons, not DLCs, and they are same thing here. For example StarCraft: Brood War is add-on, it has its own credits alright. In the past add-ons were much larger and almost like the base game which required base game to run and was usually expansion of the base game. Such add-ons still exist and we just mark them together with DLCs, but they often have a large team and new set of credits and whatnot.

Also, many episodic games are all DLCs to the first episode, yet they are just as long and development heavy as the first episode, so sure, they have their own credits and whatnot.

Smaller DLCs like new outfit or new weapon or new dance music or new multiplayer map and such are probably the focus of this new scheme.

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (30444) on May 26, 2016

I'm one of those "noisy" brats with the dlc/addon/special/collecor additions :p