Forums > News > ANNOUNCE: MobyGames hits 100,000 promo images archived!

Simon Carless (1835) on 10/19/2016 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

We only announced this section in June 2016, but we're delighted to announce that we have over 100,000 images added to the promo images section on MobyGames.

Many of these are automagically 'scraped' from major stores (Steam, iOS, Google Play, etc!), which is still important since these screenshots change and sometimes disappear over time. But a large number are also grabbed from other sources, like '90s FTP sites or even press CD-ROMs. And MobyGames' high Google ranking means the images often get prominently displayed for Internet users to check out and use. So... great work, all contributors who made this happen!

(We're planning more ability to contribute other types of images to MobyGames soon, including a way to add magazine advertisements, so watch out for an announcement on that!)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 10/19/2016 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

So, uh, who pushed you over the top?

Simon Carless (1835) on 10/19/2016 11:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Haha, I don't know who was the 100,000th, but it was probably either you or Chirinea! (But also massive kudos to ZeTomes, who has added a LOT of stuff, as well as jaXen, Sciere, Karsa Orlong, MrFlibble, Virgill, Krvavi Abadas, and a BUNCH of others...)

Tracy Poff (2094) on 10/20/2016 2:56 AM · Permalink · Report

My best guess for the 100000th approved promo image (which is a pretty solid guess) is this image for Colin McRae Rally.

Simon Carless (1835) on 10/20/2016 2:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, so it was maybe jaXen. round of applause. Who's gonna get the 200,000th tho? :P

Daniel Saner (3503) on 10/20/2016 10:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

MobyGames has a high Google ranking now? That is almost worthy of a news announcement in and of itself =D

It used to be legendarily difficult to find MobyGames if you didn't already know about it from when the web consisted of 15 sites. When searching for a game, MobyGames could be the only site that offered more information than a title and a year, but it would appear somewhere after 5 pages of "stubs" and spam. I remember more than once someone commenting along the lines of why there wasn't something like IMDb for games, and upon me mentioning MG being very confused about how a site this big could have passed them by all those years.

Simon Carless (1835) on 10/21/2016 2:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Moby has a high Google Images ranking, I should have said :) Its Google ranking is excellent for specific dev names and obscure games, and Google Images does SUPER well if you are looking for screenshots, but for the bigger games it still gets crowded out by a lot of other sites.

(Still, better than nothing!)

MAT (240793) on 10/24/2016 6:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

When I first read 100,000 I figured this post if for Karsa and him reaching 100,000 points. I see he is but 20 points short of that, so that post is probably coming soon after this one ;))

Simon Carless (1835) on 10/25/2016 4:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Did that now too!