Forums > News > New - MobyGames Discord chat server for contributors.

Simon Carless (1835) on 4/7/2017 7:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, everyone. Have you ever wanted to text chat in REAL TIME (or not real time, depending on your time zone!) with other MobyGames admins, approvers, and contributors?

If so, there's a new MobyGames Discord private chat server instance for you. Discord is an easy to use, IRC-style (if you go way back!) web-based or executable-based chat client, and we thought it would be worth setting it up to collaborate. We expect chat volume to be low, but welcome anyone and everyone.

GTramp (81965) on 4/8/2017 8:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Well that's a nice idea. Although timezones might prevent me from chatting.

Plok (202453) on 4/12/2017 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

History is stored and always visible, and private messages deliver regardless of a member's online status.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 4/13/2017 3:06 PM · Permalink · Report

It's a nice idea! I would certainly be up for idling around there. However, it would've been nice if it was a network that actually was based on or integrated with IRC, so one could use the client they already have installed. I'm kind of reluctant to add even more clients (or web app tabs) to my system. As it is, I have to use Google Hangouts, Facebook Chat, Skype, IRC and WhatsApp if I want to be connected with everyone…

I saw that there are server applications that connect Discord and IRC channels by relaying messages between them, but I don't assume anyone would be willing to have that running 24×7.

Plok (202453) on 4/13/2017 5:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, it runs comfortably in a browser, so there's no need for a client.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 4/13/2017 7:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I noticed. But so do most of the other networks. My issue is not only about the need to install different tools, but the clutter and fragmentation in general. Out of my list of current networks, all but Skype and IRC are running in pinned browser tabs (and even those two would provide the option).

Before Microsoft killed the Skype API, at least I could use Trillian to have everything in one place. But today, nobody wants open interfaces anymore, everybody wants you to use their own client so they can push advertisement to you.

Rwolf (22659) on 4/14/2017 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

The frequent chat-tool bloat was not to my liking either; while I'm not using multi-chat much now, I did find the multi-protocol 'Miranda-IM' to be helpful in keeping these things to a smaller footprint within a single application. (Skype being an exception; you still needed the original app running, even if it could be linked to Miranda)

Checking the current version 'Miranda-NG', I see the development version now has a Discord protocol plugin available - it is still in a testing state, but at least it's something to look forward to.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 4/16/2017 12:06 PM · Permalink · Report

That's at least something, then :) I remembered that last I heard, Pidgin started supporting Skype natively again. Apparently, there's some new web-based API that someone wrote a plug-in for, so it seems that Pidgin can now connect to Skype again without the official client being installed. There doesn't seem to be a Discord plugin for Pidgin, but if Miranda has one, it's probably a matter of time until someone gets around to writing one.

jennyj foy on 5/24/2017 9:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam