🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > New featured article on Asian RPGs

nullnullnull (1463) on 3/26/2006 10:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Long time MobyGames contributor and approver Unicorn Lynx has written a featured article on the World of Asian RPGs. Do you have an idea for a featured article? We would love to hear from you. Drop us a line.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/27/2006 3:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks for posting the article :))

But... where are my bonus points?! :-)

And you posted the old version of the article, not the improved one I sent you per e-mail a week or so ago. Oh well :(

nullnullnull (1463) on 3/27/2006 4:44 AM · Permalink · Report

I didn't get the revised article. Points are now awarded. Sorry.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/27/2006 5:12 AM · Permalink · Report

No problem, I should've notified you on a message board or something...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/27/2006 5:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Any comments, questions, critique, etc., would be much appreciated :-)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/31/2006 7:20 AM · Permalink · Report

No one is interested in my article... Buuuuuuuuuuhh :-(

Sciere (930490) on 3/31/2006 11:19 AM · Permalink · Report

I quickly skimmed it because I didn't have much time, but I intend to read it one of these days. It looks very interesting!

Игги Друге (46653) on 4/20/2006 2:44 AM · Permalink · Report

I read it, and kept wondering why you never mentioned Falcom. Are all their RPGs action RPGs?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/20/2006 6:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, with only two exceptions, if I'm not mistaken (two Legend of Heroes games for SNES).

yersi on 4/20/2006 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Sorry, I don't intend being an ass, because I see you have put a lot of work into this article and you obviously have a lot of knowledge about the genre, but the article on the whole has no real purpose, it's basically just a list of RPGs with your review embedded alongside each title. I also found your praise for the genre in the introduction a bit over-the-top.

I can find thousands of reviews, summaries and walkthroughs for each of the games you mentioned, but actual information about the devs is almost impossible to find. I'd love to see some exposition on the actual development of the titles you mentioned, especially Xuanyuan Jian. Maybe this could be an idea for future articles?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/21/2006 1:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I know it's basically just a list with a couple of "recommendations" so to say, but my purpose wasn't in-depth analysis or something like that. Look at it that way: I know many gamers who have never played Asian RPGs, or played only FF7 or whatever was ported to the PC. So I was asked many times to make short lists of Asian RPGs worthy of playing (since there are so many of them). That's why I wrote the article, I thought that anyone who has doubts about which Asian RPG he should start with can take a look at the article and find what he needs, without browsing sites and looking through thousands extensive reviews.

D Michael (222) on 4/21/2006 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Unicorn; hell of an article I have to say. Being a writer I probably couldn't write that much unless I had a contract haha.

Unfortunately most of the information is lost on me because I cannot enjoy these games due to the language barrier. Some of those titles looked really outstanding.

My ex-girlfriend tried to teach me Cantonese but I wasn't into it. Probably wouldn't have helped because I'm guessing that most of the content is Mandarin, although aren't the symbols similar?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/22/2006 2:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Cantonese and Mandarin are actually dialects of the same language, and yes, the signs are exactly the same (except that in Hong-Kong and Taiwan they use traditional sign set, and in PR China simplified one, but it has nothing to do with language differences). There are some words and certain grammatical constructions which are unique to each dialect, though.

yersi on 4/21/2006 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

UnicornLynx: Seen in that context I guess it suits its purpose. Thanks for writing it anyway, next time do something more in-depth on one of the game series. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/22/2006 2:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I already did one on Final Fantasy, it was featured a year ago or so ;)