🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > Cheating is good for you

Trixter (8952) on 12/27/2006 4:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Another surprise from Forbes, Mia Consalvo has written an article on why cheating in video games is good for you. She cites reasons such as "it can keep you active and involved in a game, reward game play and allow expert players to teach others."

I'll alienate a few people and say that, yes, I cheat as well, but I've got very strict and simple guidelines for cheating: I only cheat if I'm stuck so badly that I'm frustrated and angry. Because, let's face it, the primary reason we play games is to have fun. It doesn't matter if I'm stuck due to poor level design or my own stupidity -- if I'm stuck, I'm not having fun. So the cheats come out fast and furious until I'm not stuck any more. And I'm happy, and my family is happy, and ultimately, the game studio is happy because I forget my frustration and buy the sequel.

So when do you cheat? Or, more piously, on what games are you proud of that you have never cheated on?

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 12/27/2006 1:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I cheat for exactly the same reason as you, i.e. at the point I get frustrated and angry. Games are for fun, I get enough frustration at work but at least I get paid for it.

Zovni (10504) on 12/27/2006 2:06 PM · Permalink · Report

That's what I was saying all along

Sciere (930488) on 12/27/2006 3:13 PM · Permalink · Report

more discussion

Riamus (8480) on 12/27/2006 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I don't cheat except when it gets to where I can't get past something. Well, I do use save states if I play a game on an emulator, which lets me save where you're not supposed to, so that is cheating as well... but oh well. I just hate going back a long ways if I mess up somewhere.

D Michael (222) on 12/27/2006 6:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I only cheat when;

A. I'm completely stuck and the alternative is to abandon the game entirely or B. I've already beat the game, replayed it, found all the secrets, done everything there is to do. If this happens, I may try various cheats just for fun.

But I never cheat just to make a game easier. And never ever cheat under any circumstances with online multiplayer games of any type.

Trixter (8952) on 12/27/2006 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start D Michael wrote--]And never ever cheat under any circumstances with online multiplayer games of any type. [/Q --end D Michael wrote--]

I have never done that either, but I have to admit I was laughing my ass off the time I was in a Counter-Strike game (this is, what, 6 years ago) and some time-speedup cheat was employed and some terrorist ran like the Flash from spawn point to bomb site in about 3 seconds, WAY beyond any bunny-hop method. It was just hilarious -- everyone was standing around like, "The bomb is armed ALREADY?" and just as they're texting back and forth, the speed cheat guy FLIES past where they're standing, still at their spawn point, and then all the voice chat erupts in "What the hell was that!? Did you see that?!"

I was laughing so hard, tears were streaming down my face. If that's isn't a cure for depression, I don't know what is.

Shoddyan (15003) on 12/27/2006 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--] everyone was standing around like, "The bomb is armed ALREADY?" and just as they're texting back and forth, the speed cheat guy FLIES past where they're standing, still at their spawn point, and then all the voice chat erupts in "What the hell was that!? Did you see that?!"

I was laughing so hard, tears were streaming down my face. If that's isn't a cure for depression, I don't know what is. [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Not exactly a "cheat", but that reminds me of a similar circumstance of a long time ago playing Jedi Knight online. As it happened, somebody with a hack program crept into our game and managed to affect everybody's level design (default levels, the canyon one I think). What happened is that everything was altered so that there were pools of water hovering in midair and gusts of wind from where there shouldn't have been any, and the spawn points for all the weapons had changed and etc. We identified the hacker easily because the people playing at the time knew one another, and kicked him... but all these strange changes to the game actually made it more interesting. We kept playing with these altered settings for a few hours, without the hacker who had caused them.

As for actual cheating... there are a couple of games of the past that I like but no longer have the patience for to experience normally. I'm fully aware that I'm re-balancing the odds and probably hurting my own game experience by doing so. But the alternative would be that I wouldn't be playing these titles at all. Oh and screenshots.... sometimes I cheat when I'm taking screenshots. Usually I do this on games I have previously spent hours and hours of time playing before... and am really just loading for Mobygames benefit. I try to choose cheats that don't leave any incriminating on the images I'm submitting (such as 99 lives).

Challenge is fun. Up until the point that it's frustrating.

Zolansilverspear (449) on 12/27/2006 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Personally I don't cheat like you do. I am mostly a fan of strategy and rpg genres. And in a game I simply enjoy two things, a good challenge(which is exactly where I should get stuck) and a good story.

On the other hand I tend to cheat when the rules of the game does not suit me. For example, when I play Civilization games I give myself an extra settler(which is also given to all other tribes in the hardest difficulty, that is where I play it) or I simply start some RPGs (NwN,tToEE) with quite higher stats that the game lets me play. Simply because I like my character that way more not because it is easier.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 12/27/2006 7:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree, cheating on some games makes the game more fun. If your stuck or want to get more replay value out of a game, then cheating can be very beneficial.

D Michael (222) on 12/27/2006 7:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I understand that. Unfortunately however there are games with certain challenges that would be impossible to overcome on your own. Case in point (and a terrible terrible game) is Simon's Quest (Castlevania II). There are things you have to do in that game that would be impossible to figure out without a cheat guide.

Indra was here (20755) on 12/27/2006 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Thou shall not cheat.

summons holy fire from the heavens and burns all the cheaters

I'll jump into a pool of wolverines before I even consider cheating. Don't even touch walkthroughs now...

Trixter (8952) on 12/27/2006 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Thou shall not cheat.

I'll jump into a pool of wolverines before I even consider cheating. Don't even touch walkthroughs now... [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Then what game(s) have you gotten stuck on, and for how long?

Indra was here (20755) on 12/28/2006 11:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Thou shall not cheat.

I'll jump into a pool of wolverines before I even consider cheating. Don't even touch walkthroughs now... [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Then what game(s) have you gotten stuck on, and for how long? [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Not quite sure if its the world record for being stuck, but the longest dang game I was stuck was Dragon Wars aka Bard's Tale IV...for 6 darn years. Thank god for 5 1/4 discs. Eventually found the walkthrough back then or I would have never finished it.

I really don't have a problem with cheating, its just its something I never got used to since the only "cheat" I didn't mind exploiting were bugs, but never "intentional" cheats created by developers. When it comes to games, consider me a right wing hardcore religious thingy.

<hr />

The only reason why I stopped using walkthroughs, was when I played Loom again. Just wanting to replay the experience again, I used a walkthrough from beginning to end. With a walkthrough it seems, the thrill became non-existent...and Loom became suddenly very boring.

Apparently for adventure games, part of the "thrill" IS getting stumped and the sense of victory of unlocking the puzzle/challenge after several hours, either by brains or "mostly" by pure luck.

Its just a sense of taste and tradition really on my part. I don't mind seeing other people use it, though in fact some cheats really DO act as an anti-depressant, but I'd prefer not to use it regardless. But that's just me being hardcore.

To this day, I've only used "walkthroughs" for barely 5 or more so games. All adventure or RPG adventure games.

Trixter (8952) on 12/30/2006 5:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Not quite sure if its the world record for being stuck, but the longest dang game I was stuck was Dragon Wars aka Bard's Tale IV...for 6 darn years. Thank god for 5 1/4 discs. Eventually found the walkthrough back then or I would have never finished it.

[/q]

You win, then, since that was one game I never finished either!

I understand about the mental challenge, and completely respect your views. I just wish I had more time or I might be more patient too. Growing up, getting married, and having kids tends to crimp on the free time.

Indra was here (20755) on 12/30/2006 9:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--] I just wish I had more time or I might be more patient too. Growing up, getting married, and having kids tends to crimp on the free time. [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Heh. I understand completely. Apparently aging does impair patience very much so. I was surprised that I'm not as patience when I played some old RPGs that required character customizing.

When I was a kid, I could sit there for 3 hours or so just doing that. Now I can't get past 30 minutes without getting irritated.

If someone said patience comes with getting older, it sure doesn't apply to games...

Trixter (8952) on 12/27/2006 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]Or, more piously, on what games are you proud of that you have never cheated on? [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

Surprised no replies on that aspect. I'll start: I'm proud that I finished Wasteland from start to finish without any cheats or hints whatsoever. I had the hint book, but I read it after the fact -- I found I didn't need it. Same with Fallout (although I got stuck somewhere in Fallout 2, don't remember where).

Zovni (10504) on 12/28/2006 3:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I had some general hints for Might & Magic VI, but I finished the game sans any cheats or specific walkthroughs. That was a pretty hardcore experience.

Accatone (5191) on 12/27/2006 10:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]So when do you cheat? Or, more piously, on what games are you proud of that you have never cheated on? [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

I generally don't bother to finish the games I play so I don't cheat much because I know that either I will be disappointed that it is finished (of course if it is a game I like) or the game has little to offer. Looking back over the years, I realize that the games I have finished without cheating were mostly the games that are level / mission-based, repetitive games like Dune2, Doom series, Descent or Syndicate. I guess I finished those games to find out an ending that does not say to me: "We have a repetitive gameplay or environment because only with this way you can finish the game. You have anticipated the ending long before you finished the game, dummy! So why did you play? For fun? Or just to see that it has ended?!"

Abi79 (298) on 12/28/2006 8:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]Or, more piously, on what games are you proud of that you have never cheated on? [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]I have finished, but did not use cheats, the following games: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend and Crimson Skies. The others? Well... I must admit that I just cheated my way out of a scenario in Warcraft 3's campaign... it was so damn long. After reaching the end (that's what I thought), and seeing how many elves were guarding a gate, I gave up, started laughing and typed the allyourbasearebelongtous cheat.

...and then I felt happy.

Donatello (466) on 12/28/2006 12:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I usually never cheat, but sometimes if I'm really stuck, I watch walkthrough. Especially adventure games, where I'm stuck all the time. But cheats like infinite ammo - HELL NO!

I remember the time when I played Soul Reaver 1. I never managed to beat Dumah, because I didn't know what to do. I tried to beat those big statues, so they would fall on Dumah, nothing happened of course. And after three years, I finally understood the trick. But all these years, I didn't think about cheating or watching walkthrough. I knew that I have to beat it myself!

But I sometimes cheat after completing game, especially GTA series where I just killed cops and caused mayhem, using cheats.

Edit: And when playing RPG game, I sometimes just watch the walkthrough's table of contents, there's usually always written locations. I find the name of the location where I just have been, and I check what location comes after that. So I don't get lost or smth. Right now I'm using this method on Final Fantasy Origins. I'm using this method only when I'm really clueless, where to go.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/31/2006 6:14 AM · Permalink · Report

I never cheat (as in, I never use cheat codes). I do consult walkthroughs often to speed up game-playing time.

There are some games I have finished without consulting any walkthroughs, but none I'm particularly proud of.