🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > World of Warcraft reaches 10 million subscribers

MichaelPalin (1414) on 2/3/2008 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

In a press note from Blizzard from January 22, 2008, they stated that the 10 million subscribers worldwide barrier has been recently beaten.

Steely Gaze (208) on 2/3/2008 2:16 PM · Permalink · Report

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the Apocalypse for your enjoyment.

Seriously though, I think that's a pretty big milestone and it really makes me wonder how long they can keep it up. How many more years can they milk WoW for all it's worth? And when they start losing subscribers, will they just drop the whole thing, or keep it going for the die-hard fans? That's my problem with MMOs; they're too transient for me.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/3/2008 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Too bad the WoW community died in Indonesia. Everyone here is playing RF online, stupid game.

Longwalker (723) on 2/6/2008 10:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, congrats to Blizzard. As much as I hate MMO games, they have made their money off of this.

It's funny. Blizzard has been going strong since the mid-1990s without stop. How long can their streak last? Or are they almost like the PC's answer to Squaresoft by this point?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 2/6/2008 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

They're very Darwinian -- Rock 'n Roll Racing, the Three Vikings, and BlackThorne didn't have legs, so they didn't carry on. Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft did, so Blizzard is going to the bank with them.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 2/6/2008 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

They're very Darwinian

I guess this could be otherwise put as "shrewd" or "possessive of sound business sense" 8)