🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > DreinIX among the Top 50 contributors!

chirinea (47495) on 5/24/2008 10:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Greece, the cradle of the western culture, wasn't very well represented here at MobyGames until now, when DreinIX has risen among the Top 50 contributors of all time. He's already well known among the forum regulars, and being registered in MobyGames for less than one year makes him one of the few to make it so fast into the Top 50. Συγχαρητήρια!

Steely Gaze (208) on 5/24/2008 11:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, amazing work DreinIX! A rising star that just doesn't want to stop, eh? ;)

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/25/2008 12:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice work, DreinIX!

(Image thanks to ds fanboy.)

Depeche Mike (17455) on 5/25/2008 1:07 AM · Permalink · Report

RIght On! Good stuff :)

Evil Ryu (66052) on 5/25/2008 5:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Good job, DreinIX! :-D

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/25/2008 5:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Go Ellada! And great post, Gui :)

Klaster_1 (57612) on 5/25/2008 8:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Congrats, DreinIX! Now it'll be hard work to gain 700 points and place in first 50 :(

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 5/25/2008 10:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Great job. I've been here years, but spurts of inactivity keep me a member of the 60s club.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 5/25/2008 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Way to go DreinIX !

DreinIX (10446) on 5/25/2008 1:24 PM · Permalink · Report

First of all I wanna thank everyone that worked on this, all my partners that put there soul on making me better than they'll ever be, God for considering me as his favourite being among all the others, my mom who gave birth to me and therefore gave joy to the world but most of all I wanna thank my fans whose lame taste are the reason that I'm standing here and...?!...?!...shit...this isn't the Grammy Awards...errr..."cough"...

OK, I'll be serious now. Thank you guys. I really appreciate it.

And chirinea congratulations to you too. I know quite a few from my country who are so bad at orthography that even if they copy-pasted the word they would still get the spelling wrong. :-)

St. Martyne (3648) on 5/25/2008 1:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/25/2008 8:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The Greeks are invading! The Greeks are invading!

About freakin time. :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 5/25/2008 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it's a pity that Alexander failed to reach to your ancestors. You'd have civilization then.

LepricahnsGold (142745) on 5/26/2008 4:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Συγχαρητήρια να πάρει στα κορυφαία 50!

(If that didn't translate correctly, blame babelfish.altavista.com)

DreinIX (10446) on 5/26/2008 11:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Ευχαριστώ (means thank you). And since I got what you wanted to say it doesn't really matter how it was translated plus I love these kind of surprises so thanks again. ;-)

chirinea (47495) on 5/26/2008 12:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey, now you've got me wondering. That transliterates somewhat like the word "Eucaristia" in Portuguese, which is the name the catholics call the communion. Do you know if those are related? (I should know since I was a devoted catholic for about 16 years).

Edit: yep, Wikipedia sez εὐχαριστία means "thanks giving". Cool. If the word sounds the same way we speak it, Greek must be an easy language to learn.

Sciere (930490) on 5/26/2008 3:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Ha, eucharistie in Dutch, with the same meaning.

DreinIX (10446) on 5/29/2008 8:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Hey, now you've got me wondering. That transliterates somewhat like the word "Eucaristia" in Portuguese, which is the name the catholics call the communion. Do you know if those are related? (I should know since I was a devoted catholic for about 16 years).[/Q --end chirinea wrote--] I can't really say but maybe? [Q --start chirinea wrote--] Edit: yep, Wikipedia sez εὐχαριστία means "thanks giving". Cool. If the word sounds the same way we speak it, Greek must be an easy language to learn. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]Depends. If in "Eucaristia" the "c" is pronounced as "k" then no they don't sound the same (not that it really matters actually since apart from that the word is essentially the same). "Ευχαριστία" is pronounced like that: efharistia. As for the other you have to take into account that a language isn't just how you pronounce it (which is probably the easy part on the Greek language) but it has a wide vocabulary and difficult grammar rules and orthography that may rank it amongst the harder languages to learn. Of course that's only what I think. Being my mother language it's hard to say whether it's hard or not to learn.

chirinea (47495) on 5/29/2008 8:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So the "υ" sounds like an "f" and the "χ" sounds like an "h"? Wow, I would never know. I know that a language isn't only pronunciation, but I don't know, a lot of people say that Portuguese is also a hard language to learn, so who knows, maybe I'm used to hard languages. =P

DreinIX (10446) on 5/29/2008 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Ahhh, no. "υ" sounds like "e" (the way it's pronounced in "emotion" not as it's pronounced in "elephant") . If you have "ευ" followed by a consonant both letters are pronounced as "f". If it's "ευ" followed by vowel then it's pronounced as "ev" ("e" is pronounced like "elephant").

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/30/2008 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

That's the New Greek way of pronouncing this, and I think most of the countries that follow the Greek Orthodox faith have adopted this pronunciation, at least in some words.

For example, in Russian every word with "auto-"in it is spelled "avto" and pronounced "afto".

Also, "alphabet" is spelled and pronounced as "alfavit", which reflects New Greek pronunciation rather than the old one. I've been wondering for a long time about that till I visited Greece and my Greek friends explained to me that this is actually the way those letters are pronounced now.

The languages of Catholic and Protestant countries usually pronounce the Greek letters the old way. "Eta" instead of "ita", "Beta" instead of "vita", etc.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/26/2008 7:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]Yeah, it's a pity that Alexander failed to reach to your ancestors. You'd have civilization then. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

Indirectly from India. Might start learning to upgrade your remarks, since it only makes you sound shallow.

Black_Rose (33) on 5/28/2008 11:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!