Forums > MobyGames > Game Group Request Thread 5

Indra was here (20760) on 9/13/2010 10:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Should've created a new one 100 posts earlier. Modem blew up recently. A lot of things around me tend to blow up recently. Dang it.

Please also re-post "ignored" requests here, until someone is in the mood to push the envelope.

As always, identify:

• Game group title [in subject title]
  • Tentative/proposed description
  • Limitations (if any) - games that do not belong in the game group
  • Possible problems that may arise that need to be settled with the game group description.
  • Also note to see the game group from the approver's eyes, as the person trying to figure out whether or not a game belongs in a particular group or not.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/13/2010 3:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Currently on my list of game groups to add but will no doubt forget eventually:

• Games with castle building
  • Games first-person crossbow/archery shooting (needs title fix)
  • Games with code-wheel copy protection
  • Games with manual keyword copy protection
  • Games with medal system
  • Games with nobility rank system
  • Games with military rank system
  • List of game groups that will surely be rejected:
  • Games with inbreeding
  • Games with slaves (then again...)
  • Games where player may move through walls (and optionally get stuck) due to really unstable 3D graphics and lousy programmers
  • Games that really have lousy programmers :p
  • Games where patching the game makes it worse
  • List of games that are questionably redundant or other reasons but not really sure if it should/should not be added:
  • Games with day/night cycles
  • Games with stamina exhaustion
  • Games with weapon/armor deterioration I wonder if we already created that "games that seriously faks up your computer" game group? Wonders why we don't have a "Vegetable Protagonist" game group yet. Doesn't anyone here have an imagination? :p

Alaka (105740) on 9/13/2010 4:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Currently on my list of game groups to add but will no doubt forget eventually:

List of game groups that will surely be rejected:

• Games with inbreeding
  • Games with slaves (then again...)
  • Games where player may move through walls (and optionally get stuck) due to really unstable 3D graphics and lousy programmers
  • Games that really have lousy programmers :p
  • Games where patching the game makes it worse
  • [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Hey, where's the games with prostitution group? :D [Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Wonders why we don't have a "Vegetable Protagonist" game group yet. Doesn't anyone here have an imagination? :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Are we going to have a Fruit Protagonist group too? Although I guess that could be misconstrued by some. :D

Indra was here (20760) on 9/13/2010 5:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Hey, where's the games with prostitution group? :D [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--]I've actually been meaning to add "Games with hostels" (games where the player may optionally have a really good time with no actual gameplay benefit). Not quite sure if "hostel" is the right word. We use "Hotel & Spa" in Jakarta. :p

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/13/2010 6:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Bordello is the "polite" word for that in English, or American English anyways. Although I'd say about half the games with prostitutes that I can think of had street walkers.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/13/2010 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember now. Brothel.

kate moss on 9/14/2010 9:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 4:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Might as well actually start doing this so...

Proposed Title: Games with code-wheel copy protection

Proposed Description:

Games that use copy protection in the form of a paper or equivalent code-wheel. Code-wheels usually consist of two wheels included with the game, where the player uses the wheel to identify a specific letter, word or symbol based on in-game copy protection instructions.

Entering the correct word/letter will allow the player to continue the game, while failing to do so will prompt the game to exit or any equivalent inhibiting the player to continue the game.

Example games:

• Curse of the Azure Bonds
  • The Dark Heart of Uukrul
  • Anything else that needs to be added to the description?

PolloDiablo (16853) on 9/14/2010 9:51 PM · Permalink · Report

...letter, word or symbol...

Indra was here (20760) on 9/15/2010 3:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah. Done.

Parf (7873) on 9/15/2010 4:27 AM · Permalink · Report

I seem to remember Monkey Island 2 had one of these, but with voodoo items you were to pair up.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/15/2010 4:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Eyup. Match up the two pictures and check the correct third ingredient to find the number you need. It's my favorite copy-protection next to KQ5's sleep spell.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 2:04 AM · Permalink · Report

The game group hath been approved.

Time to fill her up.

Alaka (105740) on 9/17/2010 2:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]The game group hath been approved.

Time to fill her up. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Hey, how should people submit a source for these. Should they actually upload pics of the codewheels? :D

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 5:01 AM · Permalink · Report

If you're lucky, there may be a screenshot referring to the code-wheels. Then there's always wikipedia or one's natural charm...which usually gets our submissions ignored indefinitely. :p

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 5:17 AM · Permalink · Report

[edit] If someone remembers a screenshot already in the database referring to this, kindly point it our, so I can update the game group with examples.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 4:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with Brothels

Proposed Description:

Games that allow the player to optionally pay to use the services of a brothel (in-game, not in real life, you pervert) usually in a specified location or building.

Acquiring such services usually have no or little affect gameplay-wise. Some games however do offer minor bonuses such as health restoration, sexual or humor related content.

Limitations

• A location or specified building may refer to a red-light district or brothels. Any game that does not identify a specified location or building, but may specify permanent locations of individual prostitutes should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games that although identify a location or specified building equivalent to a red-light district or a brothel, however does allow the player to optionally acquire such services whenever the player chooses to do so (i.e. story-based) should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games that qualify the aforementioned criteria but due to its possibly controversial material has been dropped from any officially released version should be excluded from this game group. Thus, games such as The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure should not be included in this game group;
    • This is not a prostitute or similar-themed game group. Games that identify such heavily themed content but does not fulfill the aforementioned should be excluded from this game group. Thus, games such as Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards should not be included from this game group.

Example games:

• Fable: The Lost Chapters"
  • Realms of Arkania Vol. 2: Star Trail

Sicarius (61518) on 9/16/2010 12:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Gothic 2 - the second building when you went left coming from the center of town to the harbor. Was even featured in a quest and had a cutscene.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/17/2010 1:54 AM · Permalink · Report

I have a minor recollection of some game like River City Ransom including such content in its original Japanese release but having it sanitized out in the North American release. Would these qualify?

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 1:59 AM · Permalink · Report

I suppose, if at least one official release has the feature. Be sure to mention the game, so I'll include it in the description.

Weird people these Yankees. Sex is not fine but decapitation is. :p

Foxhack (32102) on 9/17/2010 3:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I have a minor recollection of some game like River City Ransom including such content in its original Japanese release but having it sanitized out in the North American release. Would these qualify? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]River City Ransom did not feature anything of the sort. It had restaurants, pharmacies, book stores and saunas with naked guys. And that's IT.

However, I'm not entirely sure that Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo - Zenin Shūgō! doesn't feature any.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 5:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]... saunas with naked guys. And that's IT. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]I figured you'd be the one to notice this, Kit. :p

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 9/17/2010 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with Brothels

Ultima VII
    Ultima IX
    Fallout
    Fallout 2
    Xin Xianjian Qixia Zhuan
    Dragon Age

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/17/2010 6:13 AM · Permalink · Report

The first Fallout had a brothel? I don't remember that.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 4:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with manual keyword copy protection

Proposed Description:

Games that use copy protection by identifying a specified letter, word or symbol in the manual based on copy protection instructions.

Entering the correct word/letter will allow the player to continue the game, while failing to do so will prompt the game to exit or any equivalent inhibiting the player to continue the game.

Examples:

I can't seem to remember any. :p

Foxhack (32102) on 9/14/2010 4:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Didn't the bosses tell us that they would never ever add ways to tag games by their copy protection? I brought this up when StarForce was doing the rounds.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, that was specifically for "copy-protection software", Kit. Some developers here might feel a little "edgy" if gamers knew what kind of crap they installed in the game.

Paper-based copy protection however.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 9/15/2010 8:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Example games: X-COM: UFO Defense (later removed by a patch), Ski or Die, Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space (note: source is wikipedia, only X-com trivia mention anything about it here on moby)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/17/2010 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

If I understand correctly, Sword of Aragon would qualify -- manual pages would include pictures of in-game cities and when starting the game up you'd see the city and be asked about that city's population or resources or whatnot.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 2:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]If I understand correctly, Sword of Aragon would qualify -- manual pages would include pictures of in-game cities and when starting the game up you'd see the city and be asked about that city's population or resources or whatnot. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Yep. That manual taught me the word "husbandry". Which apparently has nothing to do with buying and selling husbands. :p

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 5:17 AM · Permalink · Report

If someone remembers a screenshot already in the database referring to this, kindly point it our, so I can update the game group with examples.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/16/2010 2:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Games with manual lookup copy protection is now online and awaiting new games to be added.

Now we can add that "Games with physical copy protection" game group.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 4:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with castle building

Proposed Description:

Games where a significant part of gameplay consists of the player constructing a castle, fortress, keep, or any equivalent defensive structures by manually planning, placing, and/or constructing individual parts of mentioned structure. Individual parts may consist of walls, towers, gates, supporting siege equipment, etc., all of which when combined may be identified as mentioned defensive structure.

Limitations

• Games where castle buildings or similar structures exist only in the form of a single building that may be chosen from a list or menu of selectable structures should be excluded from this game group. Thus, games such as Stronghold (1994) should not be included in this game group;
    • Games where castle buildings or similar structures exist, however building such structures are optional and does not represent a significant part of gameplay should be excluded from this game group. Thus, games such as Age of Empires should not be included in this game group;

Er, not entirely sure about that last condition.

[edit] Wonders if that Bioware(?) RPG where you could upgrade a keep of sorts should be included/excluded here.

Examples:

• Caesar
  • Castles
  • FireFly Studios' Stronghold
  • Lords of the Realm

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/14/2010 4:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't really see the point of having a game group like this and excluding the one game everyone thinks about when he hears the word "castle building".

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 5:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

AoE really isn't a castle building game to begin with and really isn't the best example for such (if it is AoE you're referring to). Though I have mentioned that I'm not entirely sure about that criteria. The only problem I have with AoE and Stronghold (1994) is that castles are a single structure that does not require much planning, compared to more dedicated castle building games.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/14/2010 5:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I thought you wanted to exclude this Stronghold

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 5:18 PM · Permalink · Report

No, not Firefly. I had to submit a title correction for Firefly to be added to the title, hence the too many titles using the name Stronghold.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/17/2010 1:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Rampart?

Indra was here (20760) on 11/18/2010 11:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Veddar gave some invaluable insight to meine proposed castle building game group. It seems that I may have some mixed values regarding to the level of 'complexity' a castle building game requires.

We probably would know what castle building games refer to. However, a problem lies for games with somewhat minimal castle building features. For example: Age of Empires. It does have castle building features, minimal and optional. Do you think that it qualifies? Same goes for games such as Caesar and Pharaoh.

How complex do you think the game should be to qualify, or should we just lump them all in? Thanks in advance.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/20/2010 10:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Awwouch. My back is killing me. Too much smoking and p*** is taking it's toll on my sleeping habits.

Well, Castle building games. Thanks to veddar who oddly understood what I'm saying when I don't myself half the time. :p

As always, please inform us if any part of the description feels a bit off or incorrect, since screwing up is a genetic trait of mine. :)

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 5:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with a nobility title system

Proposed Description:

Games where the player may acquire nobility titles through quests, deeds, or similar services. Acquiring such may allow the player to gain access to additional wealth, land, military units, etc.

Limitations:

• Games where the player is simply identified as a noble or has an equivalent royal title without the option to gain a promotion to a higher title should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games where nobility titles is only identified as a scoring rank without any additional benefits throughout the game should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games where nobility titles are only obtainable through the completion of a story-oriented plot should be excluded from this game group.

Examples:

• Sid Meier's Pirates

Indra was here (20760) on 11/16/2010 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Games with a nobility title system is now online and now accepting nobles!

Which reminds me to add a limitation regarding political ranks and create a new game group for that one (e.g. games like the Guild 2).

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 5:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with a military rank system

Proposed Description:

Games where the player may acquire and climb a military rank ladder through completing deeds, quests, missions, or similar services for promotion. Acquiring such may allow the player to gain access to additional wealth, land, military units, etc.

Any type of military rank is permissible, may it be modern, medieval, ancient, fantasy or fictional military ranks.

Limitations:

• Games where the player is simply identified as having a military rank without the option to gain a promotion to a higher title should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games where military ranks are only identified as a scoring rank without any additional benefits throughout the game should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games where military ranks are only obtainable through the completion of a story-oriented plot should be excluded from this game group.

An example of a military rank is as the following:

Army and Airforce: Field Marshal, General, Lieutenant General, Major General, Brigadier General, Colonel, Lt. Colonel, Major, Captain, First Lieutenant, Second Lieutenant;

Navy: Admiral, Vice Admiral, Rear Admiral, Captain, Commander, Lieutenant Commander, Lieutenant, Ensign.

Examples:

• Gunship
  • Starfleet: The War Begins

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 9/14/2010 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Proposed Title: Games with a nobility title system

Proposed Description:

Games where the player may acquire nobility titles through completing deeds, quests, missions, or similar services. Acquiring such may allow the player to gain access to additional wealth, land, military units, etc.

Limitations:

• Games where the player is simply identified as having a military rank the option to gain a promotion to a higher title should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games where military ranks are only identified as a scoring rank without any additional benefits throughout the game should be excluded from this game group;
    • Games where military ranks are only obtainable through the completion of a story-oriented plot should be excluded from this game group.

Examples:

• Gunship
  • Starfleet: The War Begins
  • [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles as well? you can become Duke Mania or Duke Dementia

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I should mention something about some sort of promotion ladder you can climb up. Obtaining one title doesn't really count.

Sicarius (61518) on 9/16/2010 12:51 PM · Permalink · Report

what about Mount&Blade: Warband? One of the possibilties is to become a king/queen and rule a faction but you don't necessarily go through some sort of title progression to achieve this goal.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 2:11 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Nope. Sorry, mate. It's essentially dedicated to games that focus on climbing a promotion ladder.

Dang should re-write the description again.

[edit] I'll download the game just to be sure. Maybe it's a new hybrid I'm not aware of.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/18/2010 3:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just downloaded the game. Dang it, Sicarius. I don't think I'll be hanging in MG for awhile. :)

Horse archery. Hmm. Definitely a hybrid, this one.

MZ per X (3017) on 9/19/2010 1:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Windows XP? :o)

The included pinball game had you do missions and climb up a military ladder when successful.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/19/2010 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MZ per X wrote--]Windows XP? :o)

The included pinball game had you do missions and climb up a military ladder when successful. [/Q --end MZ per X wrote--] Yep. Space Cadet qualifies. Never made it past the second promotion.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/13/2010 6:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games with Developer Rooms

• Before games had ending credits, and before many games offered any credit to their creators at all, there was Warren Robinett's secret room in Adventure. Since then many developers have made their names noticeable within the game worlds, both as hidden easter eggs and as part of the natural game world.
  • This group is only for rooms or buildings expressly populated by the developers of a game. In game messages or NPCs named after developers are not allowed unless they are in an area only containing references to the developer. Debug rooms or other tools that were used for the development of a game are also not applicable.
  • List:
    Adventure
    Ratchet and Clank 3
    Chrono Trigger
    Terranigma
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    Mission: Impossible
    Videocart-20: Video Whizball
    Quake II
    Roadwar 2000
    And Pokemon Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, and SoulSilver There, added the titles brought up in the last thread. Single-Player Games with Player-Determined Gender Games in which the player can choose the gender of their avatar, either by creating a character themselves or by choosing from a preset. Games with a large cast of playable characters, such as fighting games, are not included unless they include a mode where a character specifically created by the player has their own single-player storyline. If the player creates an entire party of characters, so long as the player can choose the gender of the lead/every character, it can be included. Games: Morrowind, Saint's Row 2, Deus Ex 2, Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2/Wii version), Mass Effect Still working on this one. It seems kind of wordy, but I think it's restrictive while still being useful. Maybe it needs more description fluff?

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/13/2010 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Games with Developer Rooms [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--] Mission: Impossible

lilalurl (733) on 9/13/2010 7:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I believe UT2004 would qualify, based on an easter egg in one of the stock map (frostbite): http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6185673#post6185673

Foxhack (32102) on 9/13/2010 8:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Games with Developer Rooms[/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]Final Fantasy II / IV.

leilei (343) on 9/13/2010 9:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

• Games with grapple hook/tether element

Bionic Commando is the big example of this with the grappling hook jump, but the tether bit would also include hauling stuff in Solar Jetman, etc.

• Controversial Games

Games that made the rounds in the media for content for some reason or another. The usual suspects apply (Night Trap, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Soldier of Fortune, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Polybius, Mass Effect, Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf)

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start leileilol wrote--]* Controversial Games

Games that made the rounds in the media for content for some reason or another. The usual suspects apply (Night Trap, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Soldier of Fortune, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Polybius, Mass Effect, Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf) [/Q --end leileilol wrote--] I would for now advise against this one. It'll be a nightmare on the approvers just to verify.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/14/2010 7:07 AM · Permalink · Report

I would use the rule "only if there is an approved trivia entry about it".

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:19 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I would use the rule "only if there is an approved trivia entry about it". [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] That could work. Since approving trivia is already a nightmare for approvers to verify. :p

vedder (70667) on 9/14/2010 7:17 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start leileilol wrote--]Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf [/Q --end leileilol wrote--]

Why was that?

chirinea (47504) on 9/14/2010 3:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] [Q2 --start leileilol wrote--]Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf [/Q2 --end leileilol wrote--]

Why was that? [/Q --end vedder wrote--]Maybe because it's Tiger Woods and he cheats on his wife and all... =P

Foxhack (32102) on 9/14/2010 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [Q2 --start vedder wrote--] [Q3 --start leileilol wrote--]Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf [/Q3 --end leileilol wrote--]

Why was that? [/Q2 --end vedder wrote--]Maybe because it's Tiger Woods and he cheats on his wife and all... =P [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]There's a South Park video file embedded in the dummy / padding file. It was only included in the first print, then the game was recalled and reprinted without the video.

Controversial? Not in the slightest.

vedder (70667) on 9/14/2010 7:20 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start leileilol wrote--]* Games with grapple hook/tether element

Bionic Commando is the big example of this with the grappling hook jump, but the tether bit would also include hauling stuff in Solar Jetman, etc.

• Controversial Games

Games that made the rounds in the media for content for some reason or another. The usual suspects apply (Night Trap, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Soldier of Fortune, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Polybius, Mass Effect, Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf) [/Q --end leileilol wrote--]

And does the game itself have to be controversial, or does it only have to have been in the negative spotlights. For example there's nothing controversial about B-17 Flying Fortress, but if I remember correctly it gained some controversy over the apparent pornographic content on the CD.

Cantillon (75426) on 9/14/2010 8:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes.

Parf (7873) on 9/26/2010 8:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Another tether game: Wik & the Fable of Souls.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Child protagonist. Wonder why this never came up. Problem for this group I've detected so far:

• Age. No idea what the age limit should be;
  • Example: Fable: The Lost Chapters. Player gets to play a child for the first 10-15 minutes. Should this be included.

kate moss on 9/14/2010 9:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 10:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Currently pending. Games featuring supermodels with no boobies. :p

Parf (7873) on 9/14/2010 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of Kate Moss... is there any game aside from Fallout where you can get addicted to drugs? I just thought that was a rather unusual gameplay mechanic.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Narcotic themed, somewhat abundant (need to create a group for this too). Addicted to drugs, can't recall any besides fallout.

Foxhack (32102) on 9/14/2010 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]Speaking of Kate Moss... is there any game aside from Fallout where you can get addicted to drugs? I just thought that was a rather unusual gameplay mechanic. [/Q --end Parf wrote--]Doesn't the recent NARC remake have that?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 9/15/2010 6:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Not sure about addiction, but you could definitely use narcotics. Get kicked off the force for it, too.

Similarly, Morrowind and and Oblivion had Skooma, which would reduce your character's intelligence for a temporary stat boost. Weren't any addiction mechanics, though.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/17/2010 1:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Wizard Games' Rockstar was strongly concerned with this dynamic.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/14/2010 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd say that anyone younger than 14 would be a good cutoff range. That way you don't start catching the thousands of JRPG protagonists in the 14-17 age range. Also playing as a child would have to take up at least 50% of the game or 50% of the playable characters. That would exclude Fable, but would include games like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. You could also make it inclusive if it was possible to complete the game from start to finish with a child character, like how one of the playable characters in Captain Commando is a baby in a mobile armor.

Oh, might also want to include a necessity for children to be children both in the mental and physical aspects. On the one side this would exclude Dizzy from Guilty Gear X, as she's technically three years old, but certainly doesn't look it, and on the other hand would exclude all those creepy paedophile-bait Japanese games.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Mental aspects?

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/14/2010 9:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Children that act like children as opposed to nine year-olds who act like an adult because they're really a seven hundred year-old vampire, or whatever.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/17/2010 1:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Jack in the Dark

Earthbound? Baby Runs This Mofo

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 9/14/2010 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Please also re-post "ignored" requests here, until someone is in the mood to push the envelope.

[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

On that note...

Title: AK-47
    Description: games that feature the AK-47 assault rifle and its variants.
    Limitations:

• It must be usable
    • Can not be a facsimile

Games:

• Call of Duty 4: Modern warfare
    • Call of Duty: Modern warfare 2
    • Metro 2033

Thoughts? Comments? Heckles?

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, if you want to be ambitious like the aircraft and automobile game groups. Might as well include every dang licensed weapon in existence.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Here's what it probably should look like:

Proposed Title: Assault Rifle: AK-47

Proposed Description

Games featuring the use of an AK-47 or Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 and (when available) its ammunition the 7.62x39mm cartridge in a prominent role.

Limitations

• The player must actively be able to use the mentioned weapon and/or its designated ammunition. Games that feature the AK-47 but does not allow the player to actively use it should be excluded from this game group;
    • The AK-47 designated name must be identified in-game or in the manual. Games indicate the graphical display of an AK-47 however does not provide an explicit identification of the weapon should be excluded from this game group.

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 9/14/2010 7:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, but should still include variants i think.

EDIT: I think the "or its designated ammunition" should be lost. it's safe to say that guns completely unreleated to the AK-47 probably use the 7.62x39mm rounds as well.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 7:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You don't want to go crazy and create a game group for each variant?

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 9/14/2010 8:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]You don't want to go crazy and create a game group for each variant? [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

What would be the point? At the end of the day, that probably amounts to splitting hairs. Eventually we could end up with a "golden AK-47" game group that would be just as well be part of this game group.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 8:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]You don't want to go crazy and create a game group for each variant? [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] What would be the point? At the end of the day, that probably amounts to splitting hairs. [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--] You really should look at the aircraft and the automobile game groups. Didn't you know we split hairs in our free time? :p

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 9/14/2010 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

(1)I'll rephrase that, it would be spliting hairs pointlessly BUT (2) point taken with the Aircraft: FJ Fury game group.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/14/2010 9:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Might as well just make it a group for Kalishnikovs in general. There are plenty of games that will have a 74 or other model but still call it a 47 because that's the culturally recognized model. Same thing happens in movies.

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 9/14/2010 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Well, if you want to be ambitious like the aircraft and automobile game groups. Might as well include every dang licensed weapon in existence. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I only suggest the AK based on its historical/cultural/iconic significance. Just a thought though.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/14/2010 8:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games with female armor suits which actually would protect someone during a fight.

Restrictions: Only games with detailed graphics showing the armor and the soldier using it are allowed into the game group. Guideline: If you can't tell by the graphics alone if a piece of armor is suitable for combat or not it is not allowed into this group.

Special rules for games in which you can change your armor:
    All available standard armor has to fit the description of this group. Exception: If the suit in question is clearly marked as "Casual suit", "Bathing suit" etc. it doesn't count as "armor suit" for the purpose of this group, even if it can be used in battle. Exception of the exception: the exception doesn't apply if there are no regular armor suits available, at least not for a large part of the game.

This group is not restricted to player characters, e.g. if the protagonists is a male and he meets female warriors which only wear real combat armor the game goes in.

Examples for included games:
    Pfff, hmmm, well...

Conclusion: Definitely too much definition effort for a joke post.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/14/2010 8:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Should've told you before hand. My boobie armor game group was already rejected. :p

This just in: Import of steel-plated bra's and chain mail g-strings were consequently embargoed by feminist groups.

vedder (70667) on 9/14/2010 8:56 PM · Permalink · Report

But those suits of armor DO protect those women.

Protect their fashion sense that is.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/15/2010 3:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Protect their fashion sense that is. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]Eh? Women don't have fashion sense. Hell, the fashion industry doesn't have fashion sense. Hell, fashion has no sense period. :p

Parf (7873) on 9/15/2010 4:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start vedder wrote--]Protect their fashion sense that is. [/Q2 --end vedder wrote--]Eh? Women don't have fashion sense. Hell, the fashion industry doesn't have fashion sense. Hell, fashion has no sense period. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." -- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

MZ per X (3017) on 9/15/2010 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--] Conclusion: Definitely too much definition effort for a joke post. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] No need for a joke post, there should be quite a bunch of RPG's that feature female-only armor. Late Wizardry games come to mind, as well as Drakensang for instance.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/14/2010 9:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Speaking of cars:

Games in which you can drive the Subaru Impreza WRX and all its variants.

Limitations

• The car must be playable! If the car only appears in a game but you can't drive it, the game should not be included in this game group.
    • Only real cars! No fictional types or lookalikes with similar sounding names accepted.

Related links

Games in which you can drive the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and all its variants.

Limitations

• The car must be playable! If the car only appears in a game but you can't drive it, the game should not be included in this game group.
    • Only real cars! No fictional types or lookalikes with similar sounding names accepted.

Related links

Both of these are fairly important tuner cars that really ought to have groups. Off the top of my head they're both in SEGA GT 2002, SEGA GT Online, and R: Racing Evolution, but they're probably in every licensed racer released after Gran Turismo. I think Gran Turismo was even the reason they sell Lancer Evos outside of Japan at all.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 9/15/2010 8:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with physical copy protection

Proposed Description: The player has to use physical objects ('feelies') included in the game box to continue the game, for instance twelve-sided dice, a map or a calendar to find symbols or words. Failing to do so will prompt the game to exit or any equivalent inhibiting the player to continue the game.

Example games: The Whispered World (first edition only), Beyond Zork, Zork Zero

Excluded: Games that require the player to enter words, letters or symbols from a paper manual or code-wheel.

MZ per X (3017) on 9/15/2010 8:48 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start PolloDiablo wrote--]Proposed Title: Games with physical copy protection [/Q --end PolloDiablo wrote--] When I read the title, I thought about B.A.T. 2 which had a parallel dongle for copy protection. :o)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/17/2010 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Loom relied on the use of spells written in the magic handbook; also, reading the spells depended on looking through the red cellophane also included.

Alaka (105740) on 9/17/2010 3:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Might as well add Startropics too. Without that letter you'd be pretty much stuck. :D

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 5:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Will add this group after the manual copy protection game group.

One question. If a game uses physical copy protection, some of which also uses the manual. I suspect it qualifies for both?

[edit] If someone remembers a screenshot already in the database referring to this, kindly point it our, so I can update the game group with examples.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 9/17/2010 8:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah a game can qualify for both if a manual AND a physical object are used :)

ZenicReverie (2132) on 5/13/2011 6:44 PM · Permalink · Report

The Humans had copy protection.

The Amiga version used the manual: http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/humans/screenshots/gameShotId,253235/

The DOS version had a separate sheet of paper that has a chart of images: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/humans/screenshots/gameShotId,209610/

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/16/2010 1:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Detective Conan/Case Closed licensees (or simply "games", whatever is correct in your opinion)

Part of this group: 1)http://www.mobygames.com/game/wonderswan/meitantei-conan-nishi-no-meitantei-saidai-no-kiki- 2)http://www.mobygames.com/game/wonderswan/meitantei-conan-majutsushi-no-chousenjou 3)the Case Closed Wii game which is sitting in the queue for nearly a month now + roughly 10-15 other Meitantei Conan games released on platforms including WonderSwan, GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo DS and Wonderswan Color, which were traditionally released only in Japan, and are not yet added to mobygames.

So can someone please approve that Wii game, so I could add the screens and whatever else it needs, and finally forget about this task? :(

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 11:06 AM · Permalink · Report

• Games with radiation
    • Games with superheroes (should be a sub-genre instead I believe...or maybe not)
    • Undercover Protagonists
    • Games with multiple endings (this one has been pending for a long time)
    • Games featuring player-controlled party (no, not that party, need better title)
    • Games featuring er...don't know what it's called (ability to distribute turn points for precision shots, like in Fallout and Jagged Alliance...Games with Precision Shots?)
    • Games with farming

Is that gravity thingy game group online yet?

lilalurl (733) on 9/17/2010 12:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Bear with me since this is my first game group suggestion]

Proposed Title: Games with quick-switchable equipment sets

Proposed Description:

Games that allow the player to switch between two (or more) equipment sets at the press of a key or a button.

Proposed Limitations:

Games in this group allow such a switch in the main game screen. Therefore, games that require the player to go through an inventory screen to operate the swap are excluded.

Example games:

• Torchlight
  • Titan Quest
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 1:33 PM · Permalink · Report

First introduced by Neverwinter Nights (2002) if I'm not mistaken. I'll get on it in a bit.

That Titan Quest sure needs to be added into a "Diablo clones" game group.

Foxhack (32102) on 9/17/2010 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

This should be amended so it specifically mentions that more than one equipped item is changed at the press of a button, or games with quick weapon switching might qualify for it.

lilalurl (733) on 9/17/2010 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Thought that "equipment set" covered this. And also allows the possibility to actually have just one item being changed in the case that both equipment sets are similar except for one item).

But not being a native English speaker I may be wrong.
    Suggestions for better wording are welcome.

Foxhack (32102) on 9/17/2010 5:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lilalurl wrote--]Thought that "equipment set" covered this. And also allows the possibility to actually have just one item being changed in the case that both equipment sets are similar except for one item).

But not being a native English speaker I may be wrong.
    Suggestions for better wording are welcome. [/Q --end lilalurl wrote--]I'm not a native speaker either. I just like to find loopholes in descriptions. ;)

Better safe than sorry.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/17/2010 6:22 PM · Permalink · Report

As a native English speaker I'd say that, although "set" could potentially refer to a single item, it would mean more than one.

Foxhack (32102) on 9/17/2010 6:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]As a native English speaker I'd say that, although "set" could potentially refer to a single item, it would mean more than one. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]And then come the non-native English speaking approvers to mess things up. :p

Don't leave things ambiguous, make sure everything is -explained fully-. Just in case.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 7:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Hold yer horses, boys. I'll get on it later on.

Yep, he meant equipment sets. Though this is impossible to verify unless you've played the game. Just a heads up.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 2:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Come to think of it, I wonder why we don't have this game group already. Hmm.

Proposed Title: Diablo clones [Note: the term 'clone' is under dispute]

Proposed Description:

Role-playing games inspired by Diablo or Diablo II and copies similar gameplay mechanics, many of which first were introduced or popularized by Diablo to a high degree.

To qualify as a Diablo clone, the game must fulfill all of the following criteria:

• Equipment Slots
      Equipment slots refer to graphical slots as an alternate for quick assessable items. Slots, depending on the game, may be as numerous as ten slots or more. Some games have used less, while others introduced additional windows for more slots. To use the items in the equipment slots, the player may press a specified key (usually numerical). Some items in the slots may also feature cool-down effects.
      Example Screenshots: [example], [example], [example].
    • Armor and Weapon Sets
      Armor sets and Weapon Sets refer to matching armor or weapons, if worn/wielded in a complete set will provide additional bonuses to the playable character(s) wearing them. Special sets are sometimes identified with a unique "name color" different from ordinary items (usually white) such as blue, purple, or gold.
      Example Screenshots: [example], [example], [example].
    • Isometric Real-Time Hack-and-Slash
      Many of the first Diablo clones used the same perspective. An isometric point of view where the majority of gameplay consists of attacking monsters by clicking on them numerously until they die.
    • See-Through Auto-Mapping
      An automapping feature either always visible in-game or may be made visible after pressing a specified key. The auto-map is featured as not to disrupt real-time gaming by using a see-through display, the density of which for some games may be altered by the player.
    • Randomly Created Dungeons and Randomly Everything Else
      Dungeons or the environment used is usually randomly created. This also applies to monsters, minor bosses, dropped items, chests, etc.
    • Minor Bosses
      Minor bosses refer to stronger versions of the random monster, usually identified by a different colored title, similar to armor or weapon sets. Minor bosses usually guard chests that appear to be more valuable than ordinary chests and may drop more valuable items.

Limitations
    Diablo games should be excluded from this game group.

Sheeid, I write fast when I want to.

vedder (70667) on 9/17/2010 2:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Ehrm, won't this group become redundant once we have the new genre system in place?

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 2:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Er. Which sub-genre?

vedder (70667) on 9/17/2010 2:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Hack & Slash RPG?

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Hack & Slash RPG? [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Depends on which hack & slash you're referring to. The term was introduced way before Diablo. Many people incorrectly believe that Diablo introduced this term.

vedder (70667) on 9/17/2010 3:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Of course, Diablo is little more than a more graphically interesting Rogue variant.

And of course games like Golden Axe are excluded from the sub-genre because they are not RPGs (that's why included RPG in the name)

So, yes you are right, the sub-genre would be a larger group than the games you described in your game-group.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/17/2010 2:57 PM · Permalink · Report

If you could (well, with a bit of creativity) argue that Baldur's Gate II is a Diablo clone there is something wrong with your definition. "Real-Time Hack-and-Slash" needs to be mandatory.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 3:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wouldn't be surprised. BioWare copied a lot of features from Diablo. Though I only see "Equipment Slots" as the only one Baldur's Gate II uses?

Three strikes to qualify.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/20/2010 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Dang it. Now the voices in my head what me to make a GTA clone game group too.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/21/2010 7:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Dang it. Now the voices in my head what me to make a GTA clone game group too.

"Sandbox" games (featuring open-ended gameplay regardless of mission progression) could be a valid group... pioneered in the mainstream by SimCity, other high points would include the Black & White and the GTA games.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/19/2010 3:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Er, a head's up to why this game group was escalated?

vedder (70667) on 10/21/2010 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Er, a head's up to why this game group was escalated? [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I don't have access to the queues right now, but last time I saw it I think most approvers (including myself) thought it was a bit arbitrary. It goes into insane detail to group just a handful of games under the moniker of Diablo, while most of the prerequisites are definitely not first seen in Diablo.

It's like creating a game group for "Shooters, with blue coloured enemies and a level editor and a gun that goes 'pew pew'"

Indra was here (20760) on 10/21/2010 12:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Er, a head's up to why this game group was escalated? [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]It goes into insane detail to group just a handful of games under the moniker of Diablo, while most of the prerequisites are definitely not first seen in Diablo. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Only reason why I created this game group is because many 'RPG gamers' over here only play Diablo-type games. There are actually a lot of them than you might expect.

Gameplay of both Diablo 1 and 2 (as mentioned in game group description) are unique enough in gameplay I believe to warrant such an exception and introducing such a novelty, to such an extent that many following clones have mimicked the game in almost every aspect.

The reasoning to the detail is of course to avoid confusion. This isn't Pac-man, where the characteristics are obvious, although any game group/genre/definition without a clear descriptions as we have seen in the past will leave room for problematic hybrids.

Assumptions are negated with mandated description. Without such detail, the game group would be confusing for both approvers and contributors and result in an endless debate since people tend to never bother with the details until a problem arises.

And yes, it is like creating a game group for "Shooters, with blue coloured enemies and a level editor and a gun that goes 'pew pew'", if such an occasion provoked an industrial response where such characteristics are identified as trademark for mentioned game.

If I were to lessen the grip on the requirements, I disclaim the problems I foresee by contributors adding half of the RPG database to this game group. :p Unless of course there are some aspects of those requirements where I am thoroughly mistaken.

/end

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 10/21/2010 2:55 PM · Permalink · Report

I am no game group approver but I think your definitions are much too wide. A definition in which Neverwinter Nights could count as Diablo clone is definitely wrong.

formercontrib (157536) on 10/21/2010 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

The whole group named as Diablo clones makes no sense for me, especially not then when it isn't the source, many years before P&P Hack&Slay and games like Gauntlet exists, Diablo isn't more than a clone of those.

Create a Game Group, if not already existing, for Hack&Slay, there we put in all these games, and the definition is much more precise then calling it "Clones of the H&S clone Diablo).

Indra was here (20760) on 10/21/2010 4:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start joyvalley wrote--]The whole group named as Diablo clones makes no sense for me, especially not then when it isn't the source, many years before P&P Hack&Slay and games like Gauntlet exists, Diablo isn't more than a clone of those. [/Q --end joyvalley wrote--] Historically, perhaps.

Same reasoning to RTS games. It's been discussed that the first game that introduced using this particular method of game play was not entirely popular. It was only recognized later with games like Dune 2, so much that it provoked a series of 'copy-cats' aiming to cash in on the popularity of it.

Michael Jackson may have borrowed some of his moves from Elvis or Donkey Kong, who knows. Question is, is it a popular trademark signature?

It would be easier if the RPG fanbois came up with a more defining name (e.g. god-games, 4x, etc.) but strategy fanbois seem to have more sense in this regard. Or we could rename it to "Action RPG" and confusion to it all. :p

Indra was here (20760) on 10/21/2010 4:13 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I am no game group approver but I think your definitions are much too wide. A definition in which Neverwinter Nights could count as Diablo clone is definitely wrong. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Hmm.

NWN gameplay-wise may warrant exclusion, despite borrowing heavily from Diablo and Fallout. Though the only hint in this regard is that Diablo clone's (this title somewhat bothers me) are specific to isometric/similar view points.

Will probably fix the description when an approver WIPs it back.

vedder (70667) on 10/21/2010 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

O.k. to be more specific. There's multiple problems I have with the game group.

a) The name is detrimental to the games in the group. As if all the games in the group offered nothing new to games and are just re-skins of Diablo. Saying Neverwinter Nights is a diablo clone is kind of saying it isn't an online alternative for D&D with a comprehensive toolset. Saying Divine Divinity is a Diablo clone is completely ignoring the story and quests and the versatile character creation system. Likewise saying WoW is a Diablo clone overlooks that it's also a MMO. Etc. I think the term is used more by people who didn't like Diablo because it wasn't D&D-like enough for their tastes. As in "Hey, did you try that new RPG Titan Quest?" "Ew, that's a Diablo clone!". The same thing happened before with the term DOOM-clone. All positive reviews of FPS games just called them first person shooters or just ignored the term, but all negative reviews threw the term around plentifully.

b) I don't think the overlay map or minor bosses are what defined diablo. The streamlined RPG elements, combined with a point & click interface (with quick slots) and the "Loot Fever" are. And maybe the fact that you control only a single main character.

c) Terok Nor added the following note to your submission:

"What purpose does this group serve, especially with that definition?

If I make a dialogue-heavy, story driven RPG that also has an overlay automap, equipment slots and armor sets it's suddenly a Diablo clone? That's ridiculous."

To which I agree. The following description lets in too many different kinds of RPGs. And in particular those who used the Diablo formula as a basis but greatly expanded on it, shouldn't be in a group called "clone". That would be the same as putting Fallout 3 in DOOM-Clone group. Because it has non-human enemies, shooting, a 1st person perspective and brown-ish textures. It just doesn't make sense, because there's so much more there (and also so much that isn't there).

d) The only RPGs I can think of right now really copied the formula of Diablo without really enhancing it significantly were Dungeon Siege, NoX and Titan Quest (Note I didn't play any of these, so I could be wrong). Although there are like a couple other more obscure 'clones' I wouldn't say that's a lot.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/21/2010 4:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]a) The name is detrimental to the games in the group. As if all the games in the group offered nothing new to games and are just re-skins of Diablo. Saying Neverwinter Nights is a diablo clone is kind of saying it isn't an online alternative for D&D with a comprehensive toolset. Saying Divine Divinity is a Diablo clone is completely ignoring the story and quests and the versatile character creation system. Likewise saying WoW is a Diablo clone overlooks that it's also a MMO. Etc. I think the term is used more by people who didn't like Diablo because it wasn't D&D-like enough for their tastes. As in "Hey, did you try that new RPG Titan Quest?" "Ew, that's a Diablo clone!". The same thing happened before with the term DOOM-clone. All positive reviews of FPS games just called them first person shooters or just ignored the term, but all negative reviews threw the term around plentifully.

I suspected as much. The title is a tad blunt. Though Diablo-Inspired Games feels somewhat odd, though possibly more correct. I must admit that the term 'clone' may be incorrect. If someone can identify a more popular term that translates as "borrows the gameplay heavily like more than 70%"

I do not use the term 'clone' in a negative sense (and totally unaware if it indeed used in such cases --> as stated in the game group description: Role-playing games inspired by Diablo or Diablo II and copies similar gameplay mechanics). I suspect if the term 'clone' was replaced, that basically makes any negative assumptions about the game group a tad redundant.

b) I don't think the overlay map or minor bosses are what defined Diablo. The streamlined RPG elements, combined with a point & click interface (with quick slots) and the "Loot Fever" are. And maybe the fact that you control only a single main character.

Defined Diablo, not really. If you want a really specific hardcore game group description, I would have separated it into primary and secondary characteristics. Though I have yet to identify games that follows Diablo-style gameplay but omits this feature.

I excluded the single character only because of Dungeon Siege. Party-controlled Diablo.

c) Terok Nor added the following note to your submission:

"What purpose does this group serve, especially with that definition?

If I make a dialogue-heavy, story driven RPG that also has an overlay automap, equipment slots and armor sets it's suddenly a Diablo clone? That's ridiculous."

To which I agree. The following description lets in too many different kinds of RPGs. And in particular those who used the Diablo formula as a basis but greatly expanded on it, shouldn't be in a group called "clone". That would be the same as putting Fallout 3 in DOOM-Clone group. Because it has non-human enemies, shooting, a 1st person perspective and brown-ish textures. It just doesn't make sense, because there's so much more there (and also so much that isn't there).

Yes, it would. Not really ridiculous. If it identifies the same majority characteristics of gameplay, how can it not be a derivative work of Diablo? I believe the argumentation you are trying to make is if that there is possibility that some games may use the same mechanics but are overshadowed by various new features the game presents. That, perhaps.

You could put Fallout 3 in a DOOM-clone, depending on the suggested characteristics. Though as mentioned earlier, it seems the problem stems from the use of the word 'clone' and not really the characteristics themselves.

d) The only RPGs I can think of right now really copied the formula of Diablo without really enhancing it significantly were Dungeon Siege, NoX and Titan Quest (Note I didn't play any of these, so I could be wrong). Although there are like a couple other more obscure 'clones' I wouldn't say that's a lot.

Dungeon Siege and Titan Quest, yes. I know at least one other similar game. Besides, it the requirement for a game group is only 2 games. :p [Q --end vedder wrote--] Input appreciated.

All I'm saying is, what needs to be fixed?. Any other non-constructive input without reasoning is a tad redundant since we can't work with that.

Which reminds me. Fallout clones. Hmm. Only know one game unfortunately. Maybe later. :p

vedder (70667) on 10/21/2010 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] d) The only RPGs I can think of right now really copied the formula of Diablo without really enhancing it significantly were Dungeon Siege, NoX and Titan Quest... [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

... and Sacred.

MZ per X (3017) on 10/21/2010 6:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]d) The only RPGs I can think of right now really copied the formula of Diablo without really enhancing it significantly were Dungeon Siege, NoX and Titan Quest (Note I didn't play any of these, so I could be wrong). Although there are like a couple other more obscure 'clones' I wouldn't say that's a lot. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Oh, there's quite a bunch of those around here. But I don't think a game group "Diablo clones" should exist, too.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 10/22/2010 5:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Tossing in my opinion too that this is way too subjective to be useful.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/21/2010 1:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Proposed Title: Diablo clones

Examples:
    Titan Quest, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, World of Warcraft, etc.

[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I just don't have the words. So wrong. So very wrong.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/21/2010 5:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Changed the thread description a bit, though I need more input to avoid future confusion if any.

[1] Noted: the use of the term 'clone' to be misleading and misinterpreted
    [2] Changed requirements to 'must fulfill all' instead of the minimal three.

Er. Anything else?

[edit] Variants (not quite sure what this means either), perhaps? I have trouble finding a proper name when we don't have a dang standard for this sheeid. :p

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/22/2010 8:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [edit] Variants (not quite sure what this means either), perhaps? I have trouble finding a proper name when we don't have a dang standard for this sheeid. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Maybe Mimicry or Imitation characterizes better the intent of the group. Diablo Clone seems to be a wide-spread, though improperly used term for anything Hack'n Slash like... :-o

Indra was here (20760) on 11/1/2010 8:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Re-edited, re-submitted, and re-praying.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.

sniff

Lain Crowley (6630) on 11/1/2010 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I can't imagine this being put through unless you can crop that down to less than 200 words.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/1/2010 9:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]I can't imagine this being put through unless you can crop that down to less than 200 words. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--] More actually. Practically wrote a dang Diablo article.

sniff

[edit] Actually, I'm relying more on my shamanic powers, trademark sneer, and overwhelming charisma cough than the revised description. :p

Indra was here (20760) on 11/16/2010 2:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Diablo variants is now online!

If this doesn't attract Asian-based gamers, I don't know what will. :p

Er, do you think Diablo games should be included here? Dunno why I added that exclusion.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/17/2010 3:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Wonders why I don't get points for creating these game groups with insanely long descriptions?

Oh, well.

Alaka (105740) on 9/20/2010 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games with mandatory character switching

Proposed Description:

Games that force the player to control more than one character in order to get through the game. Players are forced to switch characters because each character has specific abilities that the others lack.

Limitations

• Games must allow for on the fly switching of characters;
    • Games that allow for character switching, but it being a feature that is not an integral part in order to get through the game should be excluded from this game group. Example games:
    • The Lost Vikings
    • Norse by Norse West: The Return of the Lost Vikings
    • Trine
    • Maniac Mansion
    • Project Eden

Indra was here (20760) on 9/20/2010 11:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Er. Mandatory seems to be too strong a word I suppose in reflection to the description or maybe I'm confusing the definition of mandatory with something else.
    Questions:

• Mandatory vs. optional switch variations:
      --> Mandatory: Character change due to plot without the player consent;
      --> Forced Change: As per current description;
      --> Optional Change: Sex operations excluded. :p

Though come to think of it doesn't these type of games where the player may control more than one character usually is forced to switch characters regardless?
    --> Multiple Protagonists or something like that.

Alaka (105740) on 9/20/2010 11:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Er. Mandatory seems to be too strong a word I suppose in reflection to the description or maybe I'm confusing the definition of mandatory with something else.
    Questions:

• Mandatory vs. optional switch variations:
      --> Mandatory: Character change due to plot without the player consent;
      --> Forced Change: As per current description;
      --> Optional Change: Sex operations excluded. :p [Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I could go with Forced Change if everyone thinks its a more fitting term.

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Though come to think of it doesn't these type of games where the player may control more than one character usually is forced to switch characters regardless?
    --> Multiple Protagonists or something like that. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Please give an example of a game that you are thinking of and I will do research into why it fits or doesn't fit in this group. This group is for a specific type of game, not just one where two different protagonists are controllable. (Hence why I added that switching on the fly to the other character is a necessity for a game to be included in this group.)

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/21/2010 12:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Final Fantasy X, for one. While you can pimp out a single character to be best at everything in the end game, for most of the normal progression of the game you'll have to swap characters in and out to be able to defeat enemies.

Alaka (105740) on 9/21/2010 1:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Final Fantasy X, for one. While you can pimp out a single character to be best at everything in the end game, for most of the normal progression of the game you'll have to swap characters in and out to be able to defeat enemies. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]

No, I don't think Final Fantasy X fits here. Enemies at some point in the game that can be beaten by a one man army should pretty much disqualify it from consideration.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 9/21/2010 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

So if a game starts with, say, three characters who have to be swapped between, but in the last 15% of the game two characters die and the remaining character now has everyone's powers, then that game would be excluded?

Alaka (105740) on 9/21/2010 4:46 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]So if a game starts with, say, three characters who have to be swapped between, but in the last 15% of the game two characters die and the remaining character now has everyone's powers, then that game would be excluded? [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]

Well, since this group is meant for games in which each characters individual unique set of skills has to work in unison with the other characters unique set of skills in order to overcome obstacles to get through the game, it should probably be a no to a game like that.

On the other hand, I could always add an on an addendum that games that feature a majority of the above mentioned type of gameplay would be worthy of consideration for this group.

Although, this would still disqualify games like FFX. I'm pretty sure switching between characters during combat isn't a requirement to get through that game. Sure it makes the going easier, but enemies are still defeatable with any three characters in your party. For the games I want for this group, it should be impossible to advance (gameplay wise) without the help from another character.

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong about FFX, because I'm going off memory from that and its been a couple of years since I've played it.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/21/2010 7:39 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Well, since this group is meant for games in which each characters individual unique set of skills has to work in unison with the other characters unique set of skills in order to overcome obstacles to get through the game, it should probably be a no to a game like that. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--]

I get now. This feature only works for "heavy puzzle-solving" adventure type games. Multiple characters where any character can advance the game doesn't apply.

E.g. Maniac Mansion: One puzzle may only be solved by a character who has photography.

Hmm. Coming up with a precise title is a bit tricky though. I suspect the title should represent: Forced character swapping due to puzzle obstacle.

MZ per X (3017) on 9/21/2010 6:27 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Proposed Title: Games with mandatory character switching [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] On a more obscure note, Gunlok comes to mind.

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/28/2010 1:46 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure Gunlock had certain missions that could only be accomplished by commanding a certain character. Though it's still a party based game where you can command more than one character at a time, if I remember right.

MZ per X (3017) on 9/28/2010 8:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I own the game and played into it years ago, too, but it just won't run on WinXP nowadays. :(

piltdown_man (232878) on 11/24/2010 1:40 PM · Permalink · Report

You sure Gunlok won't play under Win XP? I used to buy & sell games. My records show I play-tested this one under XP and it played without a problem.

MZ per X (3017) on 11/24/2010 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Now that you question it, I had Windows 2000 running back then. Sorry for the misinformation.

vedder (70667) on 9/21/2010 7:23 AM · Permalink · Report

best to exclude coop games in the limitations.

Alaka (105740) on 9/21/2010 8:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] I get now. This feature only works for "heavy puzzle-solving" adventure type games. Multiple characters where any character can advance the game doesn't apply.

E.g. Maniac Mansion: One puzzle may only be solved by a character who has photography. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Yes, this is pretty much the gist of it.

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Hmm. Coming up with a precise title is a bit tricky though. I suspect the title should represent: Forced character swapping due to puzzle obstacle. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Yeah, I had trouble coming up with a good group title for this. Probably what caused a lot of the confusion in the 1st place. :D I would drop the puzzle part of your suggestion though and maybe just call it Forced character swapping due to obstacles. The reason for this is that some obstacles involved are overcome more with the physical then the mental faculties.

[Q --start MZ per X wrote--] On a more obscure note, Gunlok comes to mind. [/Q --end MZ per X wrote--]

From a quick cursory glance, it looks like it could be a title to add to the group. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the suggestion.

[Q --start vedder wrote--]best to exclude coop games in the limitations. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

I'm a little hesitant to do this. LEGO Batman: The Videogame is a game that most likely fits in this group and I think that allows for co-op gameplay.

vedder (70667) on 9/21/2010 9:55 AM · Permalink · Report

We broke the forum very thoroughly, by the way. Not only am I saying things I didn't say, but also we are all part of ALAKA's other post.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 9/21/2010 7:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Games that force the player to control more than one character in order to get through the game. Players are forced to switch characters because each character has specific abilities that the others lack.

the Questprobe Fantastic Four game

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 9/21/2010 9:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

This group contains all unofficial add-ons for the Microsoft simulator games, including the Flight Simulator series, the Combat Flight Simulator series and Space Simulator.

All games in this group need to fulfill the following two requirements:

• They are not published by Microsoft; official add-ons go to the regular game groups
    • They can't be played on their own and need one of the previously mentioned games to run. This includes games which can be additionally used with non-Microsoft games.

The reason for this game group is the fact that there are a gazillion unofficial add-ons available. Way, way, waaaaaaaaay more than official installments.

I am not sure if to include add-ons for the Train Simulator series.. I guess there are more than enough games available to warrant its own game group.

vedder (70667) on 9/22/2010 7:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm positive that if we were to add all unofficial Flight and Train Sim add-ons to the database, we could easily double, triple or quadruple the number of database entries we have. So yes, they can have their own group :)

Foxhack (32102) on 9/22/2010 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought we already added those addons to the site. :p

In fact, I thought we already HAD a game group for them!

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 10/16/2010 1:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I just discovered that there is only one official entry in the Train Simulator series. All unofficial add-ons can go in the existing game group. Flight Simulator group pending.

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/24/2010 12:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Hanse Series

Proposed Description:

Games based on the original Hanse trade simulation by Ralf Glau, focusing on the Hanseatic League.

Limitations:

Only games that are evidently successors of Hanse and focus on the Hanseatic League.

Examples:

1. Hanse (not on file yet)
    2. Hanse: Die Expedition
    3. Hanse 1480: Das Vermächtnis
    <hr>

Proposed Title: Hanse Legacy

Proposed Description:

Games that mimic or are based on the gamplay of Hanse by Ralf Glau.

Limitations:

• All games that are evidently successors of Hanse
    • All games that copy the gameplay of Hanse. The Games should include sea trade, building of ships, warehouses and dynasty maintenance

Examples:

4. Vermeer
    5. Vermeer: Die Kunst zu erben
    6. Vermeer 2
    7. The Patrician
    8. Patrician II
    9. Patrician III
    <hr>

Proposed Title: Hanseatic League themed Games

Proposed Description:

Games that are set in the Hanseatic League by plot or theme.

Limitations:

• The games must actually refer to the Hanseatic League as economic trading alliance.
    • The plot must be focused on Northern Europe in the 13th–17th centuries

Examples:

4. The Patrician
    5. Patrician II
    6. Patrician III
    7. The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas
    <hr>

Proposed Title: Die Fugger Legacy

Proposed Description:

Games based on the dynasty maintaining trade/merchant simulation Die Fugger

Limitations:

• The Games must be linked to Die Fugger by development or the Fugger dynasty theme

Examples:

1. Die Fugger
    2. Die Fugger II
    3. Europa 1400: The Guild
    4. The Guild 2
    5. The Guild 2: Venice
    6. Die Gilde DS

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/17/2010 12:01 AM · Permalink · Report

no comment at all? :-((

I feel at least "Hanse Series" should be considered as new entry. I admit that the others are just supersets of questionable quality and maybe lots of redundancy.

MZ per X (3017) on 10/18/2010 8:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't worry. As with many things here, it just takes time. :o)

Indra was here (20760) on 10/19/2010 3:43 AM · Permalink · Report

The game groups you proposed are somewhat problematic. The first one seems obvious, the later game groups seem to be overlapping each other.

I would help more with these game groups, however I'm only familiar with the Guild series unfortunately.

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/19/2010 10:24 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]The game groups you proposed are somewhat problematic. The first one seems obvious, the later game groups seem to be overlapping each other.[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] I anticipated these would be controversial. I just had the idea someone would like to search for games like Hanse based on gameplay/succession, or alternatively by theme/setting.

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]I would help more with these game groups, however I'm only familiar with the Guild series unfortunately. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] The Guild actually evolved from Die Fugger. There is some trivia explaining the developers had to change the title of the series due to legal dispute with a Fugger descendant. The more I think about, I get the impression that the two existing groups "Die Fugger Series" and "The Guild Series" should rather be merged instead of adding my proposed super-set legacy group!?

Indra was here (20760) on 10/19/2010 11:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zerobrain wrote--]The Guild actually evolved from Die Fugger. There is some trivia explaining the developers had to change the title of the series due to legal dispute with a Fugger descendant. The more I think about, I get the impression that the two existing groups "Die Fugger Series" and "The Guild Series" should rather be merged instead of adding my proposed super-set legacy group!? [/Q --end Zerobrain wrote--] Well, after the little research I did based on the information available in the MG database, I have come to a tentative conclusion:

• Europa 1400: The Guild needs to be added to the Die Fugger series;
    • I would advise to the merging of of Die Fugger and The Guild games (until further evidence is provided), as it appears that there is no consistent continuation of publishers and developers. Which in my head translates as: "Who the hell owns the Intellectual Property of these games?"
    • Need further info for those Hanse games. Although the game description of Hanse 1480: Das Vermächtnis mentions it as the successor to Hanse: Die Expedition, successor does not necessarily mean sequel. Even more so since the publisher and developer of both games are different. Patrick? I have odd suspicion this has been discussed before in the past.

MZ per X (3017) on 10/19/2010 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I think that the Hanseatic League group should be a no-brainer - at least.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/19/2010 9:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Almost. Unfortunately for me, I've played Darklands which has the Hanseatic League as one of the two available German trade groups (provide quests, sell items, etc.) So, not exactly sure to what extent this game group should include/exclude.

MZ per X (3017) on 10/20/2010 6:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games involving the Hanseatic League

Proposed Description:

Games that involve the Hanseatic League as an important part of the theme, plot or game play.

The Hanseatic League (also known as the Hanse or Hansa) was an economic alliance of trading cities and their guilds that dominated trade along the coast of Northern Europe in the later Middle Ages. It stretched from the Baltic to the North Sea and inland during the Late Middle Ages and early modern period (ca. 13th–17th centuries). The Hanseatic cities had their own legal system and furnished their own protection and mutual aid, and thus established a sort of political autonomy and in some cases created political entities of their own.

(Description taken from the Wikipedia entry.)

Limitations:

• The games must actually refer to the Hanseatic League in its historical meaning as an economic alliance of trading cities.
      • The game shall take part in Northern Europe of the 13th–17th centuries.

Examples:

4. The Patrician
      5. Patrician II
      6. Patrician III
      7. The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas

qwertyuiop (49956) on 9/24/2010 9:32 PM · Permalink · Report

games in the Chocolatier series. There's 3 in mobygames right now.

Alaka (105740) on 10/6/2010 2:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start qwertyuiop wrote--]games in the Chocolatier series. There's 3 in mobygames right now. [/Q --end qwertyuiop wrote--]

Submitted. Pending approval. I added the fourth game by the different developer because it still involves the Baumeister Confection shops.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/6/2010 2:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved. Added minor description.

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/6/2010 9:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Dig-Dogs Series

Proposed Description:

Educational Games featuring the three Dig-Dogs characters introduced in Dig-Dogs: Streetbusters.

Examples:

1. Dig-Dogs: Streetbusters
      2. Dig-Dogs: Factory X

Alaka (105740) on 10/6/2010 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zerobrain wrote--]Proposed Title: Dig-Dogs Series

Proposed Description:

Educational Games featuring the three Dig-Dogs characters introduced in Dig-Dogs: Streetbusters.

Examples:

1. Dig-Dogs: Streetbusters
      2. Dig-Dogs: Factory X

[/Q --end Zerobrain wrote--]

Submitted. Pending approval.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/6/2010 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved. Title fixed.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 10/16/2010 10:06 AM · Permalink · Report

We have two almost identical groups:

• Star Wars: Dark Forces series
      • Star Wars: Jedi Knight series

I think one of them should be removed. Probably "Dark Forces", because all the games (except Dark Forces) have "Jedi Knight" in title.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 10/16/2010 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of, can we please delete the "Mobile Suit Gundam series" group? It seriously has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/16/2010 5:30 PM · Permalink · Report

I think both groups are relevant in their own right. Dark Forces was the initial title. The Jedi Knight games are just followups. Though it may be questionable if the "Dark Forces Series" should include JK Games without Dark Forces in the title (starting with JK2), or if that group would be better off renamed to "Dark Forces Legacy"

Crawly (1417) on 10/17/2010 8:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

How about "Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series"?

Zerobrain (3052) on 10/17/2010 11:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--]How about "Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series"? [/Q --end Crawly wrote--] I'd acclaim that.

R H (3) on 10/22/2010 6:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but i have some obvious one.

Weapon based Fighting Games

For games like the Soul Calibur Series as example Mace - the Dark Age, Cardinal Syn and probably 70-150 other fighting games

are there 2D Fighting Games and 3D Fighting Games Gamegroups already btw?

Zerobrain (3052) on 12/3/2010 11:01 AM · Permalink · Report

So how about that? For we won't find precise criteria to qualify the the games that should be in each of these groups that seems to me the better alternative.

leilei (343) on 12/3/2010 11:18 AM · Permalink · Report

You could even call it "Star Wars: The Kyle Katarn Saga" for the group in case the slash/colon cancer gets nasty.

vedder (70667) on 12/3/2010 11:46 AM · Permalink · Report

Except that Kyle Katarn isn't in Jedi Academy.

Terok Nor (41733) on 12/3/2010 12:00 PM · Permalink · Report

He is, he's just not playable.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/1/2010 7:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Farming Games is now live. Wonder why we didn't think of this years ago. :p

vedder (70667) on 11/1/2010 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

That group is going to flood once we allow beta Facebook games!

Indra was here (20760) on 11/1/2010 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]That group is going to flood once we allow beta Facebook games! [/Q --end vedder wrote--] We already do!

psst, don't tell the admins
      /schemes mischievously

MZ per X (3017) on 11/2/2010 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start vedder wrote--]That group is going to flood once we allow beta Facebook games! [/Q2 --end vedder wrote--] We already do! [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Please PM me with all the dirty details !! :o)

MZ per X (3017) on 11/2/2010 9:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Farming Games is now live. Wonder why we didn't think of this years ago. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Are games about gardening to be included?

Indra was here (20760) on 11/2/2010 9:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Er, have to ask Kabushi.

Kabushi (260810) on 11/2/2010 11:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think there are enough such games for a group of its own.

Like this classic.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/3/2010 10:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Interesting.

Mowing the lawn wasn't my idea of gardening.

Kohler 86 (7870) on 11/4/2010 4:05 AM · Permalink · Report

What about a "Games using Gun-Stick" group?

The Gun-Stick was an optical gun created by MHT for several 8-bit computers.

Some games that supported it were:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/solo http://www.mobygames.com/game/bestial-warrior http://www.mobygames.com/game/target-plus http://www.mobygames.com/game/mike-gunner http://www.mobygames.com/game/cosmic-sheriff http://www.mobygames.com/game/trigger Guillermo Tell Space Smugglers

Indra was here (20760) on 11/4/2010 2:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kohler 86 wrote--]The Gun-Stick was an optical gun created by MHT for several 8-bit computers. [/Q --end Kohler 86 wrote--]Hardware should be a tech spec instead. These are powers only admins can add.

vedder (70667) on 11/4/2010 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Nonsense

Indra was here (20760) on 11/4/2010 2:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually, that should a tech spec too.

Controlling the air flow? Don't these people have a life? :p

Rola (8486) on 11/5/2010 8:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Now imagine some malware taking control of that system! Uncontrolled cooling + fans teamed with disco flashing lights... you'll bite off the power cord!

[/offtopic]

BuzzBomber (779) on 11/6/2010 7:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Evocation Series

Proposed description: Point-and-click adventure series by Dedalomedia

Examples:

• Evocation: La Sfida
      • Evocation: Zwischen Traum und Wirklichkeit (please, change the title of this...)

Indra was here (20760) on 11/6/2010 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Game group pending approval. Did not include Dedalomedia as no release info supports this yet.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 11/6/2010 5:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Would this be a good place to ask for a game group to be renamed (considering how much luck I've been having asking for the unnecessary Mobile Suit Gundam gamegroup to be deleted...). The Disaster Report series gamegroup should probably be renamed to Zettai Zetsumei Toshi/Disaster Report series, or even just Zettai Zetsumei Toshi series. It's not a Disaster Report series, because only one of the games, in one region, has been named Disaster Report. Meanwhile all four of the games have been named ZZT in Japan, so if you want something tying them together, that's it.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/6/2010 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Only admins can do that safely. We have a workaround from the approver side to do it, but it has some nasty side-effects.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/7/2010 11:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Submitted several new game groups yesterday just to annoy the approvers :) and just found out that a 'technological tree' which I seem to recall I have discussed has yet to be created.

I seem to be a wee bit confused with Technological Tree vs. Research. Is it considered the same thing in essence, for example researching technologies in Master of Orion vs. X-Com. If it's the same deal, no problem. Just wondering of any other possible interpretations. Thank you.

Zerobrain (3052) on 11/8/2010 6:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I think "research" indicates an active process that can be influenced while "Technological Tree" has some kind of static component. I think remember some RTS games that use the term "Technological Tree" to force the building of certain structures in a specific order. IMHO that has nothing to do with research.

vedder (70667) on 11/8/2010 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

On the contrary, a tech-tree seeks to give (limited) freedom when it comes to research. Unlike a linear path there are at any point always multiple choices to choose from. This is both true for games like Civilization and StarCraft.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/8/2010 8:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope. I still don't get it.

An example game of "research" but not a "technological tree", would help.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/15/2010 1:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, since 6 of meine game groups are being ignored, might as well add more to the list:

• Space Pirates
      • Games with global reputation
      • Games with personal - party reputation
      • Games with NPC Reputation
      • Games with monster training
      • Games with monster breeding
      • Games with horseback riding
      • Games with jousting
      • Games with arena fighting
      • Games with skill-based character development
      • Games with level-based character development
      • Games with manual character development
      • Games with automated character development
      • Games with character classes
      • Alien / Extra-terrestrial protagonist
      • Games with tattoo / tattooing features
      • Games with haircut features
      • Games with purchasable (sea) ships
      • Games with purchasable automobiles / cars
      • Games with purchasable (space) ships
      • Games with diplomacy
      • Games with building design / architecture
      • Games with customizable weapons
      • Games with customizable armor
      • Games with customizable ships
      • Games with customizable vehicles
      • Games with customizable mushrooms
      • Ga..must...stop....

This is what happens when my game groups get ignored. :(

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 11/24/2010 5:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Here's one for you, Indra: Games with jiggle physics. Or how about: Games with destructible clothing/armor.

Robotic protagonists? Robot Pilot protagonists? Biomechnical protagonists? Protagonists with unnaturally-colored hair? I've never really figured out how these end up in the system...we talk about them, then nothing happens, then some while later one of them might show up.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/24/2010 6:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]Here's one for you, Indra: Games with jiggle physics. Or how about: Games with destructible clothing/armor.

I've never really figured out how these end up in the system...we talk about them, then nothing happens, then some while later one of them might show up. [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] What in the hell is jiggle physics? Not sure I want to play the a game that has that. :p

Game group approval is a biatch. Should just make a one-liner description like the rest of them, usually gets approved faster despite being always problematic 3 years later. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 11/24/2010 6:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]What in the hell is jiggle physics? Not sure I want to play the a game that has that. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--] Never heard of Dead or Alive? You know, games that have...erm...certain parts of the female anatomy wobble (un)realistically. Sometimes there's equal opportunity, and men get it too (see: Rufus in Street Fighter IV, Astaroth in Soulcalibur). It's quite common in fighting games, but shows up in a lot of other titles, especially Japanese games. :P

I feel like I'm being trolled having to sit here and explain it. >_>

Indra was here (20760) on 11/24/2010 6:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]Never heard of Dead or Alive? You know, games that have...erm...certain parts of the female anatomy wobble (un)realistically.

I feel like I'm being trolled having to sit here and explain it. >_> [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] Sorry, mate. I actually had no idea what it was. Jiggle. That's appropriate. A bit too appropriate a name if you'd ask me. Well, at least I know where your priorities lie now. Muahaha. :)

Don't think I'll help you make this group. I doubt in my ability to focus due to the content involved. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 11/24/2010 7:46 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm actually more wondering if it's the sort of thing that would get shot down if I even tried to submit it. The idea of documenting such a thing doesn't really exude professionalism. ;)

Indra was here (20760) on 11/24/2010 7:50 AM · Permalink · Report

If would be easier if it was an official technical name. Not sure if it is...seems to be in undecided 'slang phase'. Don't really know. If it is indeed the technical name for it, I don't see why not.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 11/24/2010 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]If would be easier if it was an official technical name. Not sure if it is...seems to be in undecided 'slang phase'. Don't really know. If it is indeed the technical name for it, I don't see why not. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--] Nah, the slang term for it is "boob physics". ;)

"Realtime physics-based character model deformation" doesn't really have the same ring to it for some reason.

Indra was here (20760) on 11/24/2010 9:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]Nah, the slang term for it is "boob physics". ;)

"Realtime physics-based character model deformation" doesn't really have the same ring to it for some reason. [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] I would prefer calling it 'Computer animation studies on the over-imaginative use on the law of physics and the cultural perspective on the continued degradation and stereotyping of the female dignity and physic by over-exposed 3D animators to the online porn industry, not intended for children and over-enthusiastic adults like Oleg" game group.

Emphasis on Oleg. :)

Sounds like a swell game group. :p

Indra was here (20760) on 11/24/2010 7:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]Or how about: Games with destructible clothing/armor.

Robotic protagonists? Robot Pilot protagonists? Biomechnical protagonists? Protagonists with unnaturally-colored hair? [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] Don't know what destructible clothing is for. I have an idea what kind of games may qualify, but I don't think that's your original intention. Or maybe it is. cough :)

For robot. Not until we can decide on whether or not robot, AI, cyborg, biomechanical, inter-dimensional circuitry, vacuum cleaner with an attitude, are the same things or not and whether or not each should be identified separately.

Protagonists with unnaturally-colored hair? I don't see the use. But then again we already have Protagonists with mullets on board. Next question is whether or not bald dudes get the same attention.

MobyFashion really isn't my thing. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 11/24/2010 8:28 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]Don't know what destructible clothing is for. I have an idea what kind of games may qualify, but I don't think that's your original intention. Or maybe it is. cough :)[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--] If you're thinking of the sort of stuff Oleg submits, not really. Sort of. Maybe? I guess you could call that destruction. :P

But I'm thinking more like in action games where when the character gets hit, their clothing gets visibly damaged. I've been playing the recent Fist of the North Star game and it does this. Looks pretty cool, actually. You usually end up with a shirtless Kenshiro by the end of the stage. I've seen it a few other times, too...though like boob physics it's most common in fighting games.

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]For robot. Not until we can decide on whether or not robot, AI, cyborg, biomechanical, inter-dimensional circuitry, vacuum cleaner with an attitude, are the same things or not and whether or not each should be identified separately.[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--] Funny how you mention biomechanical as a separate thing, since I did too. I dunno, there's pretty well-established definitions of what a "robot", "cyborg", and "android" are, and most games seem to be full of themselves enough that they explain it well enough to figure out. ;)

Incidentally, is there actually a game out there where you play as a vacuum cleaner with an attitude?

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]Protagonists with unnaturally-colored hair? I don't see the use. But then again we already have Protagonists with mullets on board. Next question is whether or not bald dudes get the same attention.

MobyFashion really isn't my thing. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--] Unnatural hair colors would be every Japanese game ever made. Bald protagonists would just be every console game released in the last six years. Probably pointless, it was kind of a joke anyway...but then I suppose so was the mullets group. Does Captain Planet really have a mullet?

Indra was here (20760) on 11/24/2010 9:37 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--][1] But I'm thinking more like in action games where when the character gets hit, their clothing gets visibly damaged. I've been playing the recent Fist of the North Star game and it does this. Looks pretty cool, actually. You usually end up with a shirtless Kenshiro by the end of the stage.

[2] Funny how you mention biomechanical as a separate thing, since I did too. I dunno, there's pretty well-established definitions of what a "robot", "cyborg", and "android" are, and most games seem to be full of themselves enough that they explain it well enough to figure out. ;)

[3] Incidentally, is there actually a game out there where you play as a vacuum cleaner with an attitude?

[4] Unnatural hair colors would be every Japanese game ever made. Bald protagonists would just be every console game released in the last six years. Probably pointless, it was kind of a joke anyway...but then I suppose so was the mullets group. [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] [1] Propose this again sometime in the future. Haven't been exposed to such games as of yet and would prefer to have a clear picture on the exact mechanics. Perhaps another approver would indulge your fantasies. cough :)

[2] Actually it's the hybrids and combinations of one or more of them is what I'm afraid of. I wouldn't know under what category a "talking refrigerator capable of online functions" would qualify under.

[3] Thus far, I've played a Paint Roller and a Floppy Disc. Household / Electronic appliance protagonists sounds like an idea, but like I said. Wouldn't know about that refrigerator.

[4] Well, if you're bored enough. Why not. Personally I'm more interested in games that allows you to change your hairstyle like Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 11/21/2010 8:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Title: Ex Machina series.

Description: Series of truck racing, action and merchant games set in post apocalyptic world of Earth, developed by Targem Games.

Should include those four games.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 11/29/2010 1:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

'Imperium Romanum series' for Imperium Romanum games.

'V tylu vraga series' for В тылу врага games

'Hard Truck series' should be renamed to 'Dalnoboyshiki series', since it's russian and should have more games in it.

<hr>

Game group title: V tylu vraga series.

Description: Best Way's World War II strategy series, published in Russia under title of «В тылу врага».

Problems: Those game were published under different titles in other countries, like Faces of War or Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, so it should be judged by russian title. You can check it here.

<hr>

Klaster_1 (57613) on 1/14/2011 6:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Title: Polnyj privod series.

Description: Series of off-road vehicles simulators developed by 1C-Avalon.

Currently it should include 4x4 Hummer and Polniy privod. Ves' UAZ. Zolotoe izdanie, but there are literally ton of games not in database yet.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 1/13/2011 3:46 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Back to the Future: The Game series.

Description: The series of episodic adventures based on Back to the Future movies and developed by Telltale Games.

Since it's episodic nature, we'll need the group anyway, so better to done things early, with only one of five out at this moment.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 1/14/2011 6:51 PM · Permalink · Report

The convention I was told was that groups aren't allowed until at least two members of the series are already live in the database.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 1/14/2011 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, but there are four proper groups with at least two members. What about them?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 1/14/2011 8:22 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sorry, we're not still discussing the only-one-episode-released-yet Back to the Future episodic series by Telltale, are we?

Klaster_1 (57613) on 1/14/2011 8:30 PM · Permalink · Report

I agreed with your statement about "two games" policy, so BttF question was closed.

jean-louis (75256) on 12/3/2010 9:08 AM · Permalink · Report

'Games using the Geo-Political Simulator engine', such as Geo-Political Simulator, Rulers of Nations.

jean-louis (75256) on 12/19/2010 7:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Rainbow Web series

Proposed Description:

Games in the lineage of Rainbow Web by Sugar Games. These games are typically casual games.

Limitations:

"Rainbow Web" in the title

Example games:
      Rainbow Web http://www.mobygames.com/game/49584
      Rainbow Web 2 http://www.mobygames.com/game/rainbow-web-2

Zerobrain (3052) on 12/3/2010 10:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: So Blonde series

Proposed Description:

Games in the lineage of So Blonde by Wizarbox. These games are typically adventures featuring the character Sunny Blonde stranded on Forgotten Island.

Limitations:

To be linked to the series the games must meet at least two of the following criteria:

• "So Blonde" in the title
      • the character Sunny Blonde (preferably as protagonist)
      • story around the Forgotten Island

Example games:

• So Blonde
      • So Blonde: Back to the Island

Zerobrain (3052) on 7/27/2011 12:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Hello? Anyone out there? Shouldn't be that tough to confirm this group! Or did I mess up the description in some way I don't realize?

PolloDiablo (16853) on 7/29/2011 6:35 AM · Permalink · Report

What will we do with Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle? http://www.captainmorgane.com/ http://adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2285 It's a spin-off but it's the same game world, inhabited by the same NPC and characters, uses same engine, made by same developers, same writers. I'd say it's part of the So Blonde series.

Zerobrain (3052) on 8/1/2011 9:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, I think the description and limitations I set up, are fine with Cpt. Morgane, at least if Sunny Blonde is in the game too. Otherwise the group should be named "So Blonde universe" maybe. I think in the current state of three games or so that's nothing to worry about. Once this should evolve into a real continuous series, or otherwise a Spin-off/alternate Story Collection, or both, there may be need for action.

Kabushi (260810) on 7/27/2011 12:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Pending now

Zerobrain (3052) on 8/1/2011 9:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Finally! ;-)

PolloDiablo (16853) on 12/12/2010 6:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Games using Centauri's CPAL3D engine

http://www.centauriproduction.com/technologie.php

AlternativA (will be adding shortly if no-one beats me to it), Gooka, Ferdy the Ant, Memento Mori, Domestic Violence: Game Over, Evil Days of Luckless John.

Games using Centauri's CPAL2 engine

A Fairy Tale About Father Frost, 4 Leaf Clovers, Fifth Disciple

Crawly (1417) on 12/16/2010 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games based on interactive television game shows

Proposed Description:

Games which were originally featured on interactive television game shows, and played by select audience members via the telephone.

Examples:

• Hugo
    • Hugo: Wild River
    • Tush-Tush

lilalurl (733) on 12/16/2010 11:39 PM · Permalink · Report

There is also a game called Coba, which is heavily inspired by Hugo: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/part1/company-dongseo.htm

Someone would need to make an entry for it first though.

Crawly (1417) on 2/7/2011 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

:/\

Kohler 86 (7870) on 1/6/2011 7:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Hat Trick Hero series

Soccer game series by Taito Corporation

Games: http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/hat-trick-hero-2 http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-saturn/hattrick-hero-s http://www.mobygames.com/game/european-football-champ

Alaka (105740) on 1/7/2011 4:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kohler 86 wrote--]Proposed Title: Hat Trick Hero series

Soccer game series by Taito Corporation

Games: http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/hat-trick-hero-2 http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-saturn/hattrick-hero-s http://www.mobygames.com/game/european-football-champ [/Q --end Kohler 86 wrote--]

Approved.

Kohler 86 (7870) on 1/9/2011 5:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks ^_^

BdR (7206) on 1/7/2011 9:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Rush Hour clones

Games based on the "Rush Hour" puzzle game and cards published by Binary Arts. The puzzles consist of a grid that contains rectangles. The rectangles can only slide either horizontally or vertically and the played must move a certain piece to the exit.

http://www.johnrausch.com/slidingblockpuzzles/rushhour.htm

There are plenty clones out there, not all on MobyGames. But at least these 3 MobyGames entries would fit the group: The Styx by Globefish, Jammed by AtariAge, Absolute Puzzle by GlobalFun AB ... maybe there are more on MB that I haven't found yet

vedder (70667) on 1/7/2011 9:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Would call it Rush Hour variants. Less negative.

BdR (7206) on 1/8/2011 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

The word "clone" doesn't automatically have a negative connotation to me but okay... "Rush Hour variants" would be fine too.

I also found three more games that would fit this group:

Smart Games Challenge #1 and Smart Games Stratajams (Car Jam puzzles), and Cassandra's Journey 2 by JoyBits (parking lot puzzles).

By the way "Smart Games Challenge #1" is released in 1996, a year before Rush Hour... hm that's kind of interesting

Klaster_1 (57613) on 1/8/2011 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Could it be not the video game as base? Mechanics seems to be easy replicated in real life, maybe you should perform more research?

Alaka (105740) on 1/8/2011 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

It says here the idea's been around since at least the late 1970s.

BdR (7206) on 1/8/2011 6:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

@ALAKA; thanks for the link. So, the updated description could be:

Rush Hour variants

Games based on "Rush Hour" puzzles, which were first invented by Nob Yoshigahara and later popularized by Binary Arts. The puzzles consist of a grid containing rectangles, each rectangle can only slide either horizontally or vertically and the player must move a certain piece to the exit.

BdR (7206) on 2/7/2011 9:21 AM · Permalink · Report

So, is "Rush Hour variants" a workable new group then?

Indra was here (20760) on 1/10/2011 6:53 PM · Permalink · Report

So, how does this look?

Compilations: Beneath a Steel Sky.

Dunno about you, but to me it seems easier to access.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 1/10/2011 7:27 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't want to be a pedant (Oh, who am I kidding? I'm an approver after all...) but the sentence somehow bugs me because Beneath a Steel Sky is not a compilation.

What about Special Editions and Remakes? I remember I had a strong opinion about that in the last discussion but I forgot it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 1/10/2011 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm happy to be the pedant. The solitary release of BASS can't be part of a group called Compilations: BASS because it was not a compilation! This is all just game release info, and in some future iteration of the database will be trackable as such..

Indra was here (20760) on 1/10/2011 8:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Hard crowd to please. :p

Tried to revise it a couple of times, but didn't really like any versions I came up with. Last attempt was just to add this:

Note: Mentioned game included for technical purposes.

Any good?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 1/10/2011 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

It's just a bit too plainly a kludge, trying to make one part of the website do something that another part ought to be doing.

Indra was here (20760) on 1/10/2011 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

...or we could just wait paint dry while waiting for the correct feature to be or not to be implemented in the mean time. :p

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 1/10/2011 8:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I have another one: Day of the Tentacle should be in the Maniac Mansion group as it contains a full version of MM, right? But it is also no compilation! (Except if DOTT is contained in a compilation which means MM is also contained in the compilation....)

We lived over ten years with this awful handling of compilations. So it is probably worth to wait a couple of months more - if there is a redesign coming due to GameFly this issue will be probably corrected. If not we can always dig out this workaround again.

Indra was here (20760) on 1/10/2011 8:28 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I have another one: Day of the Tentacle should be in the Maniac Mansion group as it contains a full version of MM, right? But it is also no compilation! (Except if DOTT is contained in a compilation which means MM is also contained in the compilation....)

We lived over ten years with this awful handling of compilations. So it is probably worth to wait a couple of months more - if there is a redesign coming due to GameFly this issue will be probably corrected. If not we can always dig out this workaround again. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Yeah. Should've used that one instead for a trial version due to its unique nature. Though with the current system, I would still stand by the game group title (for a more orderly approach). The description would require a more eloquent standard though.

Don't like if's anymore. Wishful thinking has been removed from my MG algorithm.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 1/11/2011 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

The "Time Manipulation" game group currently includes games like Max Payne and FEAR. I am against it because the focus should be on the time manipulation aspects which are explained in great detail in the group description.

I propose a second "Games with Bullet Time" game group so this group can focus on real time manipulation. But I have to admit that I have problems to come up with a good description.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 1/11/2011 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I saw the title of this message and got excited about a new PvP dynamic...

Indra was here (20760) on 1/11/2011 8:29 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]The "Time Manipulation" game group currently includes games like Max Payne and FEAR. I am against it because the focus should be on the time manipulation aspects which are explained in great detail in the group description.

I propose a second "Games with Bullet Time" game group so this group can focus on real time manipulation. But I have to admit that I have problems to come up with a good description. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Confirmed und seconded. Slow motion features seems to be misinterpreted continuously here. Will do a revise.

Indra was here (20760) on 1/11/2011 8:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Doing a bit of tweaking. Time Manipulation refers to plot first and not necessarily game mechanics. Need some help...popular game examples for:

1. Slowing time+plot
      2. Stopping time+plot
      3. Reversing time+plot.

Can't remember which game is which.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 1/11/2011 9:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]Doing a bit of tweaking. Time Manipulation refers to plot first and not necessarily game mechanics. Need some help...popular game examples for:

1. Slowing time+plot
      2. Stopping time+plot
      3. Reversing time+plot.

Can't remember which game is which. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] 1. Braid
      2. Braid
      3. Braid

Are we talking games where the player takes an active role in said time manipulation, or simply games that use time travel as a significant plot element? Because we could include stuff like Sonic 2006 if it's the latter. I've been playing this game which has a character who can change the past within her dreams, but apart from solving puzzles within them it all plays out in dialogue sequences.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 1/11/2011 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Time Manipulation needs to be an active gameplay element. Games which feature time travel only in their story as excluded.

Indra was here (20760) on 1/11/2011 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Game device and plot. Can't know if it's time manipulation device if there isn't a plot explaining it. :)

Indra was here (20760) on 1/11/2011 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Er...judging by description, I have this odd suspicion that this was originally intended for time manipulation plots only.

Oh, great Time Manipulation game group creator, can thou art confirm?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 1/11/2011 11:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Does Day of the Tentacle count as having time manipulation gameplay as well as as plot?

Nominally every text adventure implementing the UNDO feature should, however inadvertently, qualify, though I think it's only here that it would explicitly, intentionally count.

Indra was here (20760) on 1/11/2011 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Does Day of the Tentacle count as having time manipulation gameplay as well as as plot? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Hell, yes! Not every day you use a toilet to manipulate time. :p

vedder (70667) on 1/11/2011 8:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree that games with Bullet Time should be split off.

Indra was here (20760) on 1/12/2011 4:57 AM · Permalink · Report

After re-reading the description a dozen times at least, I think the title is a bit confusing. It seems to be focusing more on time travel and altering the timeline which means that at least two timelines must be identified in the game.

I believe that the best example refers to Timequest (boy, doest that game need a description replacement).

Klaster_1 (57613) on 1/18/2011 11:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Ancient Wars: Sparta series

Description: The Sparta-themed strategy series from World Forge.

Should include Ancient Wars: Sparta, add-on Fate of Hellas and pending compilation of both.

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 2/13/2011 11:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Games with Mouse Gestures?

Like in Black and White where you cast spells using mouse gestures. Know Arx Fatalis also uses it. And a Harry potter game I once had the misfortune of playing.

Brolin Empey (841) on 2/7/2011 1:18 AM · Permalink · Report

MobyGames has a game group for the Audi TT, so why not the Volkswagen New Beetle?

Description: probably same format as the other automobile game groups. Maybe cross-reference the TT and New Beetle?

Limitations: New Beetle only, not Beetle proper. I guess the New Beetle Convertible qualifies too, even if it was introduced 5 years after the New Beetle.

For starters, you could include:

• New Beetle Tracks and Gaps
      • Beetle Crazy Cup (maybe: does it include the New Beetle in addition to the Beetle proper? The description does not mention the New Beetle.)
      • Midtown Madness series
      • Beetle [sic] Adventure Racing! (Should have been named “New Beetle Adventure Racing” because, AFAICT, it includes only the New Beetle, not the Beetle proper.)

I am assuming games with a vehicle available only from a fan/user do not qualify. Such a New Beetle is available for (at least) Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.

Possible problems: the approver needs to know the difference between the Beetle and New Beetle, even though the New Beetle is informally called a Beetle.

Yearman (29385) on 2/7/2011 5:55 PM · Permalink · Report

The car is also playable in Gran Turismo 3, GT4, GT5, Forza Motorsport 2 and 3. Should be enough titles for a New Beetle game group.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 2/7/2011 9:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You'd think, but I suggested WRX and Evo groups last september, and those still haven't been added. Car groups aren't high on the list of gamegroup priorities.

Crawly (1417) on 2/14/2011 9:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Games based on interactive television game shows (second attempt)

Proposed Description:

Games which were originally featured on interactive television game shows, and played by select audience members via the telephone.

Examples:

• Hugo
    • Hugo: Wild River
    • Tush-Tush
    • <hr>

Proposed Title: Piposh series

Proposed Description:

An series of adventure games by Guillotine.

Examples:

• Piposh Hollywood
    • Piposh 2
    • Piposh 3D: The Revolution (pending approval)

Crawly (1417) on 3/25/2011 2:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--]Proposed Title: Piposh series

Proposed Description:

Examples:

• Piposh Hollywood
    • Piposh 2
    • [/Q --end Crawly wrote--] Still waiting for the group. The last missing game of the series has already been approved.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 3/25/2011 2:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm waiting for groups since November already. Maybe some warm summer day will present such a rare gift.

Crawly (1417) on 3/25/2011 2:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]I'm waiting for groups since November already. Maybe some warm summer day will present such a rare gift. [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--] I do wonder how it works, since some games seem to get their own series group instantly upon approval. :P

Alaka (105740) on 3/25/2011 4:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--] [Q2 --start Crawly wrote--]Proposed Title: Piposh series

Proposed Description:

Examples:

• Piposh Hollywood
    • Piposh 2
    • [/Q2 --end Crawly wrote--] Still waiting for the group. The last missing game of the series has already been approved. [/Q --end Crawly wrote--]

Approved.

Klaster, please list the titles of the groups that you are waiting on to be submitted and I will submit them. BTW, I think it's time for a new game group request thread. This one's getting to big and group requests seem to be getting lost in the mix.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 3/25/2011 6:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q]Klaster, please list the titles of the groups that you are waiting on to be submitted and I will submit them.[/Q]

• Ex Machina series
      • Imperium Romanum series
      • V tylu vraga series
      • Polnyj privod series
      • Ancient Wars: Sparta series

Alaka (105740) on 3/26/2011 1:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--] [Q2 --start ALAKA wrote--]Klaster, please list the titles of the groups that you are waiting on to be submitted and I will submit them. [/Q2 --end ALAKA wrote--]

• Ex Machina series
      • Imperium Romanum series
      • V tylu vraga series
      • Polnyj privod series
      • Ancient Wars: Sparta series

[/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--]

All have been approved.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 3/29/2011 8:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks!

Crawly (1417) on 3/25/2011 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--] [Q2 --start Crawly wrote--] [Q3 --start Crawly wrote--]Proposed Title: Piposh series

Proposed Description:

Examples:

• Piposh Hollywood
    • Piposh 2
    • [/Q3 --end Crawly wrote--]

Still waiting for the group. The last missing game of the series has already been approved. [/Q2 --end Crawly wrote--]

Pending approval.

Klaster, please list the titles of the groups that you are waiting on to be submitted and I will submit them. BTW, I think it's time for a new game group request thread. This one's getting to big and group requests seem to be getting lost in the mix. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] Thanks :)

By the way, I'm waiting for "Games based on interactive television game shows" and "Games revolved around the Arab-Israeli conflict" which are listed on the thread as well. :P

chirinea (47504) on 2/19/2011 6:45 PM · Permalink · Report

I was here thinking: what about creating groups for magazine covermounts? I mean, gathering all games featured in a certain magazine under a group bearing the magazine's name. Should it be done?

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 2/19/2011 7:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]I was here thinking: what about creating groups for magazine covermounts? I mean, gathering all games featured in a certain magazine under a group bearing the magazine's name. Should it be done? [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Might be nice to see.

chirinea (47504) on 2/19/2011 8:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess it should be formated like our Engine groups or Aircraft groups, something like "Magazine covermount: Nameofthemagazine", or maybe "Covermount: nameofthemagazine".

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 2/19/2011 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I wanted to write a witty remark in which I disregard this idea because it is covered with "distributed by". Similar to Steam whose game group was terminated because of this reason.

Then it occurred to me that magazine publishers may have multiple magazines with covermounts under their publications.

chirinea (47504) on 2/19/2011 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Not to mention that some distributors (at least here in Brazil) distribute magazine covermounts and regular releases.

Lain Crowley (6630) on 3/1/2011 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

A series of action games set on battlefields both fictional and based on reality. While diverse in settings, most Musō games have a common thread of the "Warrior worth a thousand". The player can choose from multiple personages from each side in a conflict, and their chosen avatar is capable of cutting a path through hundreds of soldiers in order to face enemy generals.

Included games: Everything currently in the Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and Warriors Orochi game groups, as well as Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.

I'm calling them Musō games because that's the only common naming thread for the franchise. Prior to Dynasty Warriors Gundam calling them the "Warriors" series might have worked, but then Ken's Rage fouled everything up by not having any sort of series title at all.

Crawly (1417) on 3/5/2011 9:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Realized there are more games in the category than originally expected.

Proposed Title: Games revolved around the Arab-Israeli conflict

Proposed Description:

Games based on the various aspects of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Examples:

• Intifada
    • Wings over Israel
    • Under Ash
    • Under Siege
    • Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force
    • Conflict: Middle East
    • Divided Ground: Middle East Conflict 1948-1973
    • Global Conflicts: Palestine
    • Southern Command
    • Conflict
    • Peacemaker

Lain Crowley (6630) on 3/5/2011 4:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

~~~8AM, i can not read, kill me now.~~~

Indra was here (20760) on 3/5/2011 5:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Main campaign/story/theme vs. scenario/sub-plot/single level has always been an annoying issue I have yet to find a satisfying solution for.

[edit] Personally, game group life would be much easier if it were separated into two separate groups, one for the aforementioned former, one for the later. E.g. [1] Arab-Israeli conflict games and [2] Games with Arab-Israeli conflict content.

But that's just me.

[edit][edit] The former would be better off one day as a sub-genre or whatever feature that is subject to the search engine...and...oh, nevermind.

[edit][edit][edit] Sheeid, somebody stop my brain. The Arab-Israeli conflict should one day (or now) be separated into (to my knowledge) at least three different era's. That first war, the second war, and none of the above (general).

Crawly (1417) on 3/5/2011 5:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]Main campaign/story/theme vs. scenario/sub-plot/single level has always been an annoying issue I have yet to find a satisfying solution for.

[edit] Personally, game group life would be much easier if it were separated into two separate groups, one for the aforementioned former, one for the later. E.g. [1] Arab-Israeli conflict games and [2] Games with Arab-Israeli conflict content.

But that's just me. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] I get the issue, but I think the optimal solution would probably require minor website innovations.

I see the point of your suggestion, but I'm not sure how many games could exclusively belong to the second group, I can't think of any.

[edit]Theoretically, the confict could be separated to a lot of groups - there have been more than two wars as well as two Intifadas, and there could be a separation between the Arab-Israeli conflict and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. But since there aren't many games in the main category, I don't see the point.

Indra was here (20760) on 3/5/2011 7:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Crawly wrote--]Theoretically, the conflict could be separated to a lot of groups - there have been more than two wars as well as two Intifadas, and there could be a separation between the Arab-Israeli conflict and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. But since there aren't many games in the main category, I don't see the point. [/Q --end Crawly wrote--] Look again. At least for many scenario-only based maps, many of which refer to a specific conflict...which also includes the aftermath of mentioned war and UN peace-keeping periods.

Few however, have Arab or Jew facial features, or I could turn this thread into yet another stereotyping rampage. Dang. :p

Arab/Jew/Chinese/Indian protagonists anyone? We already have blacks online. Not mentioning the others would be racist. Muahaha!

Crawly (1417) on 3/5/2011 7:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] [Q2 --start Crawly wrote--]Theoretically, the conflict could be separated to a lot of groups - there have been more than two wars as well as two Intifadas, and there could be a separation between the Arab-Israeli conflict and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. But since there aren't many games in the main category, I don't see the point. [/Q2 --end Crawly wrote--] Look again. At least for many scenario-only based maps, many of which refer to a specific conflict...which also includes the aftermath of mentioned war and UN peace-keeping periods.

Few however, have Arab or Jew facial features, or I could turn this thread into yet another stereotyping rampage. Dang. :p

Arab/Jew/Chinese/Indian protagonists anyone? We already have blacks online. Not mentioning the others would be racist. Muahaha! [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] Ok, I did search and find a couple so far - Cold War Conflicts and A Line in the Sand.

But in any case, I think we should go with the original suggestion, which is in the same style of the current war-based groups (World War I/II games, Vietnam War Era games, Civil War games), and see what should be done with games that only include some related content later.

Scaryfun (20378) on 3/6/2011 11:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: African Setting

Proposed Description: Games that take place, partially or entirely, on the African continent in such countries as Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Madagascar, Congo, Libya, Morocco, South Africa, and Nigeria among others. Games not specifically indicated as in an African country but with obvious African animals in the environment (jungle, desert, etc.) should be included.

Limitations: Games set in Egypt have a separate game group and should not be included.

Example games:

• Africa Trail Army Ranger: Mogadishu Congo the Movie: Descent into Zinj Jungle Hunt
    • Proposed Title: Australian Setting

Proposed Description: Games that take place, partially or entirely, on the Australian continent including the island of Tasmania. Games not specifically indicated as Australia but with obvious Australian animals in the environment should be included.

Limitations: Games set in New Zealand are not allowed or you'll get the kiwis angry.

Example games:

• Dirt Track Racing: Australia Ty the Tasmanian Tiger AFL '98 Sydney 2000
    • Proposed Title: Alien Protagonists

Proposed Description: Games that have a non-human alien life-form not native to Earth as the playable character. They can have a humanoid form (a being with a head, two legs and arms that walks upright) but should have a non-human characteristic.

Limitations: If the protagonist was born on another planet but has no discernible differences from humans on Earth, they should not be included.

Example games:

• E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Klingon Honour Guard Destroy All Humans!
    • Proposed Title: Robot Protagonists

Proposed Description: Games where you play as a mechanical being that is powered by electricity and computer instructions as opposed to an organic life-form which is created and eventually dies. This includes androids (robots that resemble a humanoid with a head, two arms and legs).

Limitations: Mechanical robots which are operated by a human are not included (such as battle mechs). Cyborgs which are biological beings implanted with artificial (electronic, mechanical or robotic) parts are also not included.

Example games:

• Astro Boy Mega Man Short Circuit Transformers: War for Cybertron

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 3/7/2011 5:49 AM · Permalink · Report

If the protagonist was born on another planet but is a human descendant of Earth (such as human characters of Star Wars

Star Wars took place "long, long ago". Maybe they're human /ancestors/ 8)

Proposed Title: Alien Protagonists Proposed Title: Robot Protagonists

What about alien robots? And where do cyborgs fit in?

Scaryfun (20378) on 3/8/2011 9:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, I modified for Alien Protagonists Limitations: If the protagonist was born on another planet but has no discernible differences from humans on Earth, they should not be included.

As for Robot Protagonists, I already mentioned Cyborgs are not included. When you say "alien robots", I assume you mean robots created by aliens...there should be no difference from robots created by humans. If they have metal and electronics and are not organic, then they fit under this group.

Parf (7873) on 3/21/2011 10:24 PM · Permalink · Report

But then we have borderline cases... Superman is alien. He was born on another planet, and has super powers on earth. Would that make him fit, or is it a more cosmetic thing?

Scaryfun (20378) on 3/25/2011 9:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]But then we have borderline cases... Superman is alien. He was born on another planet, and has super powers on earth. Would that make him fit, or is it a more cosmetic thing? [/Q --end Parf wrote--] I would say that his birth on another planet and his super-powers on Earth are discernible differences form humans so that would qualify Superman as an alien protagonist. Unless people prefer to change the description to "no discernible bodily characteristics" and leave super-powers out of it.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 3/10/2011 8:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Games that were made by S&G Software and are situated on the island Capri. http://www.caprisaga.com/index.html

Games to be included:

A Quiet Weekend In Capri

Anacapri The Dream

I Misteri di Capri

PolloDiablo (16853) on 3/28/2011 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Games taking place on the fictional island Wuhu Island. Games to be included: Wii Sports Resort Wii Fit Plus Pilotwings Resort (currently adding this title for 3DS)

jean-louis (75256) on 4/10/2011 5:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Is it possible to create an "Adventure series" game group with the "Adventure" games from the company Knowledge Adventure ? Three titles to be first added to this group :

3-D Dinosaur Adventure
      http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/3-d-dinosaur-adventure
      Space Adventure
      http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/space-adventure
      Undersea Adventure
      http://www.mobygames.com/game/undersea-adventure

and more to come ...

ケヴィン (4137) on 4/26/2011 4:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I was contributing a bunch of サタコレ → Saturn Collection (budget releases) release dates today. Maybe these games deserve a group?

Lain Crowley (6630) on 4/26/2011 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Playstation Platinum and Greatest Hits have groups, so there's no reason I can think of for SATAKORE not to.

vedder (70667) on 4/26/2011 5:25 PM · Permalink · Report

And you can create the group yourself with your newfound approver powers :)

It'll still have to be approved by someone else though.

ケヴィン (4137) on 4/26/2011 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

...and my contributed releases have to get approved first, so I can add them to the group. :)

Lain Crowley (6630) on 4/26/2011 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Whoa, I had no idea I had that ability. Look out Moby, this Wensday shit is going to get real.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 5/6/2011 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Games in which the player takes the role of Alexander the Great or reenacts his Conquest of the Persian Empire.

Only games in which Alexander the Great respectively the conquest is the main focus of at least one campaign are suitable for this group.

Examples:
      The Great Battles of Alexander
      Rome: Total War - Alexander
      Alexander: The Heroes Hour (Player does not play as Alexander but his campaign serves as plot)
      Alexander

Rola (8486) on 5/9/2011 3:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games with interactive tutorial mode

Not all manuals are written perfectly, having a good tutorial mode will always help to ease the learning curve by guiding the player step by step.

Note that the tutorial must somehow interact with the player's actions - having an easy mission labeled "tutorial" yet requiring reading a chapter in the printed manual alongside doesn't count.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 5/12/2011 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Armada series A series of 4X strategy games set in space.

To include http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/armada-2525 http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/armada-2526 and its expansion http://iceberg-interactive.com/games-mainmenu-27/377-armada-2526-supernova.html (submitting that game later today)

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 5/12/2011 5:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games which closely follow the gameplay of the early Moorhuhn series: The player has a fixed position and can rotate 360°. Animals or other objects to shoot appear and disappear at the screen and shooting them rewards points and possibly power ups. There is a time limit and the goal is to get as many points as possible.

In Germany the first Moorhuhn game was very popular in 1999 and and naturally a lot of successors and similar games were released.

Examples:
      The Moorhuhn games which use the classic formula
      Alien Tequila.
      Kochmeister Pfanne 2 XXL: Nachschlag!
      Sumpfhuhn
      Die Rache der Sumpfhühner
      Die Rache der Sumpfhühner Add-on

Limitations:
      The game needs to follow the above described gameplay principle closely to be accepted in this group. Games with Rail Shooter segments - which the German gaming press likes to call "Moorhuhn sequences" - or similar mini games are not the focus of this group.

All copycats I know of are German and are obviously inspired by the Moorhuhn games. I don't know if there are any other games with this gameplay idea out there.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 5/12/2011 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Adam's Venture series Adventure games belonging to the Adam's Venture series by Vertigo Games. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/adams-venture-episode-1-the-search-for-the-lost-garden Adam's Venture: Episode 2: Solomon's Secret (will add that in the next couple of days) other future releases

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 5/13/2011 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Games in which the whole goal is to prevent someone else from harm. Typically the protected person just runs forward and the only other action he is capable of at is own is turning around when hitting a wall. The player dedicates himself to clear the path of all obstacles or taking other protective measures.

Limitations:

• The majority of the game needs to be this way. Single escort missions are not the focus of this group.
      • The player must not have direct control over the person to protect. He either needs to directly control a third person on screen or take indirect control, e.g. through a mouse pointer. For example Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is excluded because Mario is on Yoshi's back for the majority of the game.
      • Having allies which are not allowed to die is not enough to be considered for this game group. The protected persons need to helpless, not capable of making own decisions or defending themselves. This needs to be an obvious design decision, so no Daikatana, sorry.

Examples:

• All Lemmings games
      • Allegory
      • Rocko's Modern Life: Spunky's Dangerous Day
      • Sink or Swim

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 5/13/2011 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Sleepwalker

Alaka (105740) on 5/13/2011 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Maybe Ico too.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 5/14/2011 5:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Black Shades.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 5/14/2011 5:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Maybe Ico too. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] I'm not sure if it meets the strictly-defined criteria here. There's parts of the game where she isn't with you, and it's possible to grab her by the hand and tug her around directly.

Rola (8486) on 5/27/2011 8:46 PM · Permalink · Report

...to get one of my proposed game groups done? Seriously, guys, I know that groups based on historical periods may be problematic sometimes, but does it mean all current groups are without problems and inconsistencies? Would the inclusion of that Interwar group (as described in previous thread) bring the end to Mobys or something?

Parf (7873) on 5/27/2011 10:30 PM · Permalink · Report

... Yes.

O_O

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 5/28/2011 2:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Just PM any approver who seems nice, paste in a description of the group and a list of games to be included, and I assure you that it will be done :)

Rola (8486) on 5/28/2011 11:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pentatonic Duck wrote--]Just PM any approver who seems nice [/Q --end Pentatonic Duck wrote--] /me ponders as how to put it eloquently and tactfully, using all his subtlety and empathy
      Any nice people around here? Rise your hand!

Rola (8486) on 5/28/2011 8:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Jokes aside, better put it up here; besides, after the GameFly thing I'm not sure who still works as an approver.

Interwar setting

Description: Games, where the action takes place during the Interbellum, that's between the First World War and the Second World War (1918-1939, more or less, depending on "your country's vision of the world") or in other words: in (roaring) 1920s and (dirty) 1930s. Fedora hats, Tommy guns, prohibition in USA, the Great Depression, jazz & swing, rapidly growing commercial aviation and radio, the beginnings of television, introduction of sound (& color) in movies, Art Deco, Bauhaus... and those classy curvy cars! But on the other side: the rise of Nazism/Fascism and Communism... which soon led everything to be Gone With The Wind...

Limitations: Exclude games where you can set any date, like wargames with editors; games that are set during either the Great War or WW2 (these have own groups). In certain cases exceptions can be made to extend the period to early 1940s: say, if you're a private eye on a Hollywood murder case in 1942 then it's OK to include the game here, but if you're a Resistance fighter in occupied France then the game should go to WW2 group.

Games: I'll start easy with Indiana Jones ...and then noone will stop me...

Crawly (1417) on 5/28/2011 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Might be time for a new thread by the way, this one has gotten pretty messy. :p

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 5/28/2011 7:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Might be time to open game group contributions to everyone. I just don't understand why game groups need to be the one and only thing that only approvers can submit.

Indra was here (20760) on 5/28/2011 9:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]Might be time to open game group contributions to everyone. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]Schemes mischievously

Oh, I do miss creating game groups.

Rola (8486) on 5/28/2011 11:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Good heavens! And what next, fully working game browser and more themes/tags for games? You, sir, have dangerous appetites! This would shake the very foundations of this website, by Grabthar's Hammer! Fortunately this will never happen in our lifetimes!

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 5/28/2011 8:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]Might be time to open game group contributions to everyone. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Hmmm, as much as i would like to see this, three problems immediately spring to mind. 1) Isn't the approval queue clogged enough as it is? 2) We'll probably get a ton of pointless contribution ideas such as "games person x likes" and games created/published by company XYZ" 3) Do we really wan't to see more of Indra's "schemes"* to come to fruition?

*the term "schemes" is used loosely.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 5/28/2011 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--] 1) Isn't the approval queue clogged enough as it is?[/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--] If an approver uses an idea taken from here and submits the group it still needs to be approved by someone else anyway. So in fact the need to scan this thread and submit entries themselves is even more work.

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--] 2) We'll probably get a ton of pointless contribution ideas such as "games person x likes" and games created/published by company XYZ" [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--] All those submissions would be judged and rejected individually; just like in every other contribution area. If we have many ideas in this thread they tend to be overlooked and forgotten.

Sure, it is useful to discuss trivia groups first to get ideas and inspirations for the description/definition but it is useless for obvious series groups.

Indra was here (20760) on 5/29/2011 2:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--]3) Do we really wan't to see more of Indra's "schemes"* to come to fruition?

*the term "schemes" is used loosely. [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--] Oh, did I say scheme? I meant boobie.

boobies mischievously

That should give you conflicting ideas. :p

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/1/2011 3:53 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games in black and white.

Limitations:
      Only games from platforms which are capable of displaying colour. The black and white needs to be an artistic choice and not just technical limitation.

Examples:

• Noir: A Shadowy Thriller
      • Angry Business Man

I know there are more but I can't recall them at the moment.

Klaster_1 (57613) on 6/1/2011 4:31 AM · Permalink · Report

I was going to question The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom because it certainly has colours, see the screenshots.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 6/1/2011 6:26 AM · Permalink · Report

The red pies (and clones) are important gameplay-wise. There isn't much, but the game does indeed have color.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 6/1/2011 3:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Monochrome is open to interpretation -- not merely b&w, but perhaps a palette of greys, or blues or greens.

That said, here's a series of games our own users have described as black and white, many of which have been added by Sciere and suspiciously many of which employ time manipulation mechanics:

Limbo Stream Omega Enfo Bla the Shift series Noir: A Shadowy Thriller The Graveyard The Jackyard Cursor*10 series Carte Blanche SchattenJagd

There are other games that adopt a /nearly/ b&w aesthetic save for one colour for emphatic contrast, like the cat eyes in the "Black and White" cat game, or Pencil Whipped, or MadWorld and its reds for instance. Also plenty of games that start in b&w and then develop into colour (and plenty of games where the point is to bring colour to the b&w world.)

Rola (8486) on 6/1/2011 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Fantasy University is mostly black&white, but it uses color for special items.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 6/5/2011 7:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Carte Blanche does have colours in the conversation trees and when 'unlocking' new abilities.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 6/5/2011 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]There are other games that adopt a /nearly/ b&w aesthetic save for one colour for emphatic contrast, like the cat eyes in the "Black and White" cat game, or Pencil Whipped, or MadWorld and its reds for instance. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Guxt?

vedder (70667) on 6/1/2011 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

What about The Saboteur, which is partly in black & white (and red) when you play in occupied territory, but colour returns when you liberate parts of the map.

Servo (57071) on 6/1/2011 6:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The 11th Hour has a mostly black and white mode (called "spooky mode") where everything is black and white except for the puzzle elements. Looks pretty neat actually.

Also, The Colonel's Bequest. This would fall into the category of technical limitations probably, but if you play the game with a CGA card and a composite monitor you get 320x200 resolution with 4 shades of grey. For this game I think it ends up looking really good! Sierra's SCI CGA drivers were intended for RGB monitors really, but they disable color on composite displays so the games are not only playable on composite displays but look quite decent; given the murder mystery style of this game I thought it was an interesting side effect that worked really well (even though it wasn't quite what was intended as being the optimal mode). (edit: this shouldn't be included in such a group, I just thought it was pretty neat)

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/5/2011 8:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Updated description:

Monochrome games (only in shades of one color), most notably black and white.

Exceptions:

• Also includes games which are initially monochrome and the colour comes back for single levels or objects during the course of the game.
      • Games which have colour outside of the gameplay, e.g. in menus or in character development screens, are allowed.
      • Games which sparsely use colour to highlight certain elements for gameplay reasons. Use your good judgement: If the screen almost always contains a coloured element the game doesn't belong in this group.

Limitations:

• Games which are monochrome because of technical limitations, e.g. all games for the original GameBoy. It needs to be an artistic choice.
      • Games which only contain monochrome levels or a monochrome playing mode. (It is probably worth to also start a "Games with monochrome levels" group)

PolloDiablo (16853) on 6/5/2011 9:45 AM · Permalink · Report

The Lost Crown A Ghost-Hunting Adventure. Or is that too much color?

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/4/2011 9:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games with the classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle in which the player has to move a stack of discs in decreasing size to another place. He is not allowed to move more than one disc at the time or to place an disc on a smaller one. Games in this group either use it as its whole gameplay premise or feature it as single puzzle. Games which don't use discs are also welcome.

Examples:
      All Dogs Go to Heaven
      Die Türme von Hanoi
      Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

And a big load more, I'm sure. I thought we already had a group but I couldn't find it.

vedder (70667) on 6/4/2011 10:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Seem to remember Black and White had it as well. And saw it in many adventure games, although I can't even name a single one now...

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 6/5/2011 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Does Stack-Up count? It's arrangement by color rather than size, but the same basic concept.

PolloDiablo (16853) on 6/5/2011 7:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Baron of Wittard. Mass Effect.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 6/5/2011 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure it's in a zork, and it features prominently in the end of Legend of Kyrandia 2 I believe.

Indra was here (20760) on 6/5/2011 10:46 AM · Permalink · Report

It seems there is now a description regarding the status of an existing game when you're adding to a game group (i.e. pending, WIP). Lovely.

Indra was here (20760) on 6/5/2011 5:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Don't suppose there's an existing game group that's pending to be recycled to be transformed info a game group master list? It will contain no games, just related game group links for non-series game groups.

Let me know if there's one I can tinker with.

Preeety please
      Does puppy eyes impression with Guardian avatar

Ugh.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/5/2011 6:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

This one is identical to this one. Only two games which could be easily deleted in the unlikely case an admin agrees.

Indra was here (20760) on 6/5/2011 6:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, if an admin gives a go ahead or a "what's he up to this time?" look, I'll start editing soon.

Rola (8486) on 6/6/2011 2:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Couldn't find this one on the forum? Am I just getting deja vu?

Games with speech synthesis

Description: Games that use built-in speech synthesis to generate spoken dialogue on the fly, rather than use pre-recorded audio samples featuring voice actors.

Games: this has to be verified, but IIRC Maupiti Island had it and at least one of the TRACON series.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/12/2011 7:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Games in which the main protagonist is an assassin or hitman. This means he actively participates in contract killings. This needs to be his main profession (though he can have a cover identity) which means a soldier or mercenary sent on a kill mission doesn't count.

The gameplay does not need to involve his profession, but the protagonist's job must be clearly identified.

Examples:

• Hitman series
      • Assassin's Creed series
      • Small Favor series

The definition needs work, please help!

jean-louis (75256) on 6/20/2011 6:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Hothouse's series including :

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 6/20/2011 7:04 AM · Permalink · Report

I think it's a great definition, though the second paragraph is probably not needed.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 6/20/2011 7:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm trying to think of an example where the main character is a hitman but the gameplay doesn't involve any killing. All I can even think of is an adaptation of Grosse Pointe Blank that plays like a visual novel and glosses over the actual assassinations in favor of romantic dialogue trees.

...it's probably a good thing that doesn't exist.

Also: Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode and The Mafat Conspiracy belong in this group.

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/26/2011 6:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]I'm trying to think of an example where the main character is a hitman but the gameplay doesn't involve any killing. All I can even think of is an adaptation of Grosse Pointe Blank that plays like a visual novel and glosses over the actual assassinations in favor of romantic dialogue trees. [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] In Contract J.A.C.K. the protagonist is a contract killer, but in the game he only foils the plans of another crime organization.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 6/26/2011 6:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--] [Q2 --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]I'm trying to think of an example where the main character is a hitman but the gameplay doesn't involve any killing. All I can even think of is an adaptation of Grosse Pointe Blank that plays like a visual novel and glosses over the actual assassinations in favor of romantic dialogue trees. [/Q2 --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] In Contract J.A.C.K. the protagonist is a contract killer, but in the game he only foils the plans of another crime organization. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] :-(

Patrick Bregger (298434) on 6/26/2011 6:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I refer to the addendum of my group description, not specifically the non-killing part.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 6/26/2011 7:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I refer to the addendum of my group description, not specifically the non-killing part. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] I still have to tune my newly acquired telepathy powers. My apologies.

Rola (8486) on 6/20/2011 8:22 AM · Permalink · Report

I understand that mercenaries (private armies like in Jagged Alliance) should be excluded?

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 6/26/2011 6:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]I understand that mercenaries (private armies like in Jagged Alliance) should be excluded? [/Q --end Rola wrote--] Hitmen can be mercenaries but mercenaries don't have to be... you do the rest.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 6/27/2011 8:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Btw, about specific car game groups which started appearing on moby. I just found this: http://www.igcd.net/makes.php?width=1440 I must say - I'm impressed.

Rola (8486) on 6/27/2011 12:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it's a spin-off from Internet Movie Car Database (BTW: I'm there, too)

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/1/2011 9:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Setting: Interwar group is finally online!

Rola (8486) on 7/1/2011 1:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

OMG!!!1!!1!!one1exclamationmark! Miracles do happen, although sometimes you need to wait over a year ;-)

I've already started adding like crazy, but I'd better add a thread where we can discuss if certain titles should go in or not.

Thread about what goes into this game group and what shouldn't

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/1/2011 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Two more groups are online as well, but they don't show yet because they are currently empty; submitted games are pending, and the groups will be displayed once those are approved: Games with brothels and Games involving the Hanseatic League.

Err... you guys think we need a game group called Games with brothels frequented by people from the Hanseatic League?..

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 7/1/2011 4:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't we already have a group for The Witcher?

ZhangJ on 7/3/2011 1:07 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Native American

Proposed Description:

Games in which the culture, society, mythology, and aesthetic of the indigenous peoples of the Americas is a significant element. These can involve any native peoples from north or south America in any time period and any setting. There is no restriction on the genre of the game, it merely needs to convey Native American culture by some means in good faith.

Limitations:

-"Exploration" games in the vein of Colonization and Seven Cities of Gold where native Americans are present but not really depicted as anything other than a means to wealth by exploitation. Likewise, grand strategy games like Europa Universalis where natives are present but only in the most minimal and perfunctory sense. This may seem vague, but basically games that do not actually present native American culture in any meaningful way.

-Games which are horrendously offensive and bereft of even the faintest traces of intelligence or good taste. Yes, I am specifically referring to Custer's Revenge.

Examples:

Anasazi Tasholiiwe

Theocracy

Inca I/II

Prey

The Sacred Amulet

vedder (70667) on 7/3/2011 9:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Hmm you might want to remove the Europa Universalis example. In EU3 you can play as several native American tribes in order to try and fend off the colonizing European powers.

Lampbane (19575) on 7/3/2011 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Homestar Runner games

Description: Games that take place within the Homestar Runner universe, featuring characters and/or situations from that universe.

Problem/question:

Should games that are specifically referenced/shown in Homestar Runner cartoons but that do not feature Homestar Runner characters be listed within this group? (Like Clapping Party, which is mentioned in one cartoon and then is playable at the end)

Limitations: Does not include games by Videlectrix that are set in a separate universe.

Example games:

• Awexome Cross
    • Dangeresque Roomisode 1: Behind the Dangerdesque
    • Population: Tire
    • Strong Bad's Rhino Feeder
    • Secret Collect.
    • Strong Bad Zone
    • Egg Throwing Game
    • Fishing Challenge '91
    • Peg Strong Sad
    • Strong Bad's Treat Snatcha
    • TROGDOR! and all of the games in this game group.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/4/2011 2:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

In case nobody mentioned it before, I think there should be a game group for shoot 'em ups. As of right now, they're mixed in with the fps games.

Names-SHUMPS

Description-Games that involve players controlling a ship, robot, or other flying craft that shoot down multiple enemies on a horizontal or vertically scrolling or fixed screen. This includes 2D and 3D games.

Question- Should there be a sub game group for bullet hell shumps since they represent the extreme end of the genre?

Examples-

Regular Shumps-

• Galaga.
    • Gradius.
    • Axelay.
    • Iridion 3D.
    • R-Type. Bullet Hell Shumps-
    • Radiant Silvergun.
    • In the Hunt.
    • Ikaruga. Games that should not qualify-
    • Contra.
    • Metal Slug. I think games similar to these should be classified as run and gun.

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/4/2011 2:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Vedder suggested shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups as new genres in his new classification system. Since this classification will be implemented no later than in the year 2138, I think we should just be patient so that our descendants will enjoy - along with intergalactic trips and world peace - a better genre system on the world's largest and most comprehensive game database.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/4/2011 2:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Good to know my great great great grand children will be able to research what Gradius was. 8D Still, I think a bullet hell shump game group might be a good idea.

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/4/2011 3:07 AM · Permalink · Report

It's very hard to distinguish between shoot-em-ups (please don't say SHMUP! I hate that abbreviation. It sounds like a Yiddish insult) which are "bullet hells" and which are... err... "bullet heavens". We won't be able to make this distinctions clearly.

However, I second the creation of Shoot-Em-Up and Beat-Em-Up game groups. Even if the new genre system is implemented during our lifetimes, it would be much easier to make the corrections if the groups are already there.

Now, what we need is a list of these games, because there are many, many more than the examples you gave. We don't want to create such a group without having prepared a more or less comprehensive list first.

vedder (70667) on 7/4/2011 6:53 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]However, I second the creation of Shoot-Em-Up and Beat-Em-Up game groups. Even if the new genre system is implemented during our lifetimes, it would be much easier to make the corrections if the groups are already there. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

By all means yes, it'll make implementing the system a helluvalot easier!

It'll be easier now when certain gray areas are found to further define the genre description.

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/4/2011 7:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Goody. All I need now are two lists of shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups, because I'm anything but a specialist in these kinds of games. Then I'll submit the groups.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 7/4/2011 9:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Are we leaving a division between vert and hori here? For some players that's a very important characteristic -- slower, more "thoughtful" shmups like R-Type work better hori, while danmaku shmups like everything Cave has made ever (except Progear and Deathsmiles, I guess) work better vert.

How extensive should it be? Are we counting euroshmups like Xenon or Battle Squadron? Hybrid vert/hori shmups like Life Force and Philosoma? How about overhead shooters that aren't forced scrolling like Thunder Force or The Chaos Engine? How about games where the shmup is only part of the game like The Guardian Legend? Pseudo-3D games like Space Harrier or Burning Force?

I notice Daniel's proposed description specifies a "ship, robot, or other flying craft"...what about games like Triggerheart Exelica or Shikigami no Shiro where you control a human (or humanoid) character that can fly? Or stuff like Adventures of Dino-Riki that play like a shmup but star a character simply walking forward? Maybe Gain Ground? Mercs?

Gah, the more I think about this the harder it gets to find solid boundaries! Someone help me! D:

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/4/2011 9:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Are we leaving a division between vert and hori here?

No. That's already divided on the perspective sheets. Users can easily narrow the search that way.

Are we counting euroshmups like Xenon or Battle Squadron

Of course. As long as it is a shoot-em-up, it belongs in the group, no matter where it comes from.

Hybrid vert/hori shmups like Life Force and Philosoma?

Absolutely.

How about overhead shooters that aren't forced scrolling like Thunder Force or The Chaos Engine?

Now this is a tough question. I vote to include games like Thunder Forces, because their typical shoot-em-up portions are still very prominent.

How about games where the shmup is only part of the game like The Guardian Legend?

If it's just a mini-game, it shouldn't be included. If it occupies at least a third or so of the game's main gameplay, I think it should be in.

Pseudo-3D games like Space Harrier or Burning Force?

These should be definitely included.

To sum it up: in my opinion, all shoot-em-ups should be included in a single group, regardless of their viewpoints. Only games in which the shoot-em-up portions are reduced to a mini-game level should be excluded.

vedder (70667) on 7/4/2011 9:54 AM · Permalink · Report

I agree on all points.

What about shooters which stick to a small arena, such as Crimsonland, Robotron 2084 and Geometry Wars. What about more objective-based games such as Sinistar? Do they count as well?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 7/4/2011 10:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think those would be pushing us into including pretty much every 2D action game that involves shooting things and isn't a platformer. I say games like Robotron and Geometry Wars should get their own group, something like "Arena/twinstick shooters".

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 7/4/2011 9:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm still worried about the edge cases here. I wasn't asking about the Thunder Force series in general, but rather specifically about the first game, which is a top-down free-roam shooter like Bosconian or Sinistar...the second game would certainly qualify, though.

For pseudo-3D games, how about After Burner? It's very clearly of the same lineage as, say, Space Harrier or Galaxy Force, I'd be hard-pressed to call it a shmup. Same with Iridion 3D.

In The Hunt is another good example -- I wouldn't necessarily call it a shmup, even though it has many of the hallmarks -- as it's paced much more like a run-'n'-gun like Contra or Metal Slug. I can see why some people would consider it one, though I don't understand why Daniel thinks it's a danmaku. :)

One of the biggest defining factors of any shmup made since about 1982 is the forced scrolling, so it would make sense to have this be a defining restriction, except then it would exclude games like Space Invaders and Galaga. Perhaps it's that the genre simply didn't exist as it does now until Xevious, so fixed-screen games should be excluded? But then we'd also exclude something like Decimation X which is built like a modern shmup with scoring systems and powerups, but doesn't scroll.

I think I'm massively overthinking this. Probably because I love shmups... -_-

vedder (70667) on 7/4/2011 10:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Maybe an option is to create separate groups "Fixed Screen Shoot 'm Up", "Forced Scrolling Shoot 'm Up" and "Free Roaming Shoot 'm Up".

I'd say After Burner is out, it expands too much on the basic shoot 'm up premise.

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/4/2011 11:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Let's first have a list of all games that undoubtedly belong into the shoot-em-ups group. We can discuss individual entries laters, after the groups has been created and a bulk of games added.

Can you do that, djsw? Post a list of shoot-em-ups?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 7/4/2011 10:39 AM · Permalink · Report

So, this was added today, and I'm looking for opinions. Should Dynasty Tactics or Bladestorm be added to this group? They're both clearly related to the franchise, but neither actually carries the Musō branding.

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 8/8/2011 5:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Surprised it hasn't been created already, but there isn't a game group for the Star Wars: The Force unleashed series. That sort of thing tends to be done as soon as a series gets a second game.

Cantillon (75426) on 8/10/2011 11:28 AM · Permalink · Report

There is.

Starbuck the Third (22608) on 8/10/2011 2:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]There is. [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]

Cheers for that. proof if you need it that I'm going blind...