🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Hello?

xxxxxxxxxxx (196) on 1/25/2011 1:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

remove

Klaster_1 (57612) on 1/25/2011 1:28 PM · Permalink · Report

It's OK to wait for approval from several months to, sometimes, years. Also, if you have enough time, upping the points won't be hard, there are always a lot of work available.

xxxxxxxxxxx (196) on 1/25/2011 3:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]It's OK to wait for approval from several months to, sometimes, years.[/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--]

I certainly hope that's not true, because in the meanwhile, no one else can edit the trivia. I think that's really gonna test the patience of anyone submitting. "Nope, someone else is in the line, I'll come back next day and try again. Nope, still someone else in the line, I'll come back next day. Nope, still someone else there. Screw this".

Indra was here (20755) on 1/25/2011 4:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start John David Karlgren wrote--]"Nope, someone else is in the line, I'll come back next day and try again. Nope, still someone else in the line, I'll come back next day. Nope, still someone else there. Screw this". [/Q --end John David Karlgren wrote--] Story of my MG life. :p
Though in a slightly different context.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/25/2011 2:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start John David Karlgren wrote--]I asked about this several years ago, but was told I needed to up my points a bit more first. It's a shame, because I really have a lot of time on my hands. [/Q --end John David Karlgren wrote--] Reasoning to this is mainly due to experience. Having a lot of points means that one is accustomed to the WIP-ing process, what approvers want, MG standards, approver mood swings, etc. Well, everyone here as a lot of time on their hands (or are avoiding responsibility cough). :)

Plok (213888) on 1/25/2011 3:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Trivia edits aren't the only problem. I'm still waiting on the Windows platform release for Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (which I already discussed with Sciere and haven't heard from him since), Croatian cover art for C&C 3: Tiberium Wars, trivia revision for Red Alert 2, trivia addition for RA2: Yuri's Revenge, description revision for PES 2011, company correction for Fragile Bits.

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 1/25/2011 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

There is only one approver out there who is active in the revision queues since Indra resigned. And he is not that active at the moment. You probably also should now that I have about 45 pending trivia revisions which would be in line before your revisions...

Plok (213888) on 1/25/2011 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

What about new release and cover art approvers? PES 2011 is a fresh game, my Windows contribution (the game is still noted as a X360/PS3 game) got its turn once and got returned to me for some proofread. I resubmitted it, but it's still on hold

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 1/25/2011 4:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The PC queue is a bit flooded at the moment. A lot of queues have a big backlog right now (with a lot of new contributions each day) and the active approvers have their hands full to halfway keep up with new games.

I have to admit that I don't help much in this case because I was busy clearing similarly flooded all-games queues, e.g. trivia.

And of course the approvers themselves also have their own contributions projects which can keep them from approving. I for example have those huge Starcraft II credits to take care of...

xxxxxxxxxxx (196) on 1/25/2011 5:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]You probably also should now that I have about 45 pending trivia revisions which would be in line before your revisions...[/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Well, like I said, I'm here to contribute, and if you're short on staff, I'd love to help out with the approving of submissions. It's a shame that one must first reach 1,000 something points to be allowed in, because at this speed rate that's going to take forever ;-)

Plok (213888) on 1/25/2011 5:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, reaching 1000 points is almost impossible at this rate. You get points by contributing, which needs approval. The only thing that doesn't need approving is rating games (1/4 point for each rating), so boosting your point count will LITERALLY take forever :)

xxxxxxxxxxx (196) on 1/25/2011 8:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sheldonist wrote--]Well, reaching 1000 points is almost impossible at this rate. You get points by contributing, which needs approval. The only thing that doesn't need approving is rating games (1/4 point for each rating), so boosting your point count will LITERALLY take forever :) [/Q --end Sheldonist wrote--]

Yes, it appears we have a Catch-22 situation here... :-)

formercontrib (157510) on 1/25/2011 10:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start John David Karlgren wrote--] [Q2 --start Sheldonist wrote--]Well, reaching 1000 points is almost impossible at this rate. You get points by contributing, which needs approval. The only thing that doesn't need approving is rating games (1/4 point for each rating), so boosting your point count will LITERALLY take forever :) [/Q2 --end Sheldonist wrote--]

Yes, it appears we have a Catch-22 situation here... :-) [/Q --end John David Karlgren wrote--] First, what i read is: "You should have a minimum of 500 to 1000 contribution points in different areas." - You SHOULD, not 1000 and not MUST.

2nd: Was said often enough in the past, still remains the same. MobyGames prefer quality over quantity. That's probably the most important reason for the installment of the "Approvers section": Everyone can contribute everything, but it will double-checked, corrected, wiped, rejected - independent if the contributor is named Sciere, חד-קרן·山猫, joyvalley, or x, y or John David Karlgren or Sheldonist. Same rules for each member. It was never the aim, and i think it will never be the aim, that without quality control everything can be entered, removed, deleted... If people prefer this, they should really think about other databases to contribute for.

LITERALLY forever? Looks like we have different interpretations of what is literally forever... only looking into the Top 50 contributors of 2010 only, Pos. 50 with more than 1.400 points in a year = about 500 points in 4,5 months, wooow 4,5 months = Forever ? For sure not imo.

Next point: And believe me and a lot of new approvers, you find out almost weekly new things, changes andsoon you have to learn on the "Dark Side". Not to forget, all of us are members like all others, we receive nothing - and several of us spend a lot of their time - as volunteers. And it's everything else than funny from time to time and costs a lot of nerves. All this: FOR FREE.

Help is welcome and required - no question. But knowledge of the database and its content too. Independent working, long-term motiviation and more. From time to time when no members apply for Approver jobs, admins and approver "invite" members to join the "Dark Side", and it happens way to often, but that's okay that they say "No, i'm not interested (at the moment), don't have the time/i need more knowledge".

You get no "training", have to work most time on your own and not to forget several of the "Dark Side" spent a lot of time for the project, and still are also active contributors. We're not talking about an hour a week, we're talking about hours every day, some of them have almost no more life besides Moby. And all as unpaid volunteers.

You can believe me, there's no honor and glory you get for it.

Andsoon...

Finally each member has access to apply within the Become an approver section, there are no limitations as far as i know, you can't get more than a refusal for the moment. Motivated, willing, interested members are always welcome :) - prefered those that showed their qualities, those that are willing to learn as much as possible about the whole database and its content, and those that have nerves of steel - you really need them! that don't give up immediately - even if things don't go the way they want - approvers have the same interests and almost no influence of what will happen now, soon or somewhere in the future. Enthusiasm is a good thing, but it MUST also exist over years, cut and run when things getting hard is of no use... WHEN YOU STILL BELIEVE YOU WILL BRING IN ALL THOSE THINGS --> APPLY, accept refusal or when experienced members say: "Thanks for you apply. Sorry, not at the moment, learn more about the database, make good contributions, then we can proof your apply again - the door is always wide open for all..." --- BUT "WHINING" IN THE FORUM, BELIEVE ME AGAIN: ISN'T REALLY USE- AND HELPFUL"

xxxxxxxxxxx (196) on 1/26/2011 12:26 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start joyvalley wrote--]--- BUT "WHINING" IN THE FORUM, BELIEVE ME AGAIN: ISN'T REALLY USE- AND HELPFUL"[/Q --end joyvalley wrote--]

I'm not sure who that last part was addressed towards? It certainly couldn't have been me, because I wasn't whining at all. With or without the quotation. I was only offering my help, because I've enjoyed Mobygames for so many years, and I find it a bit frustrating that I never seem to be able to contribute to it with more ease. After having read your overly lengthy and patronizing reply, I'm beginning to enjoy Mobygames less more, though.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/26/2011 12:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, don't mind him. Germans are weird. :p

Getting points is easy enough, as many contributors here have reached an astounding amount of points if just a few months. Only thing left in question is how much time you're willing to invest and the quality of your submissions (read=how easy it is to be verified by an approver without much hassle). The later requirement is never easy. Even for veterans and fellow approvers.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/26/2011 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

This is all true. When I started, I never thought I'd ever get 1,000 points, much less 10,000. They came surprisingly quickly once things got rolling.

Many here have made their fortunes by specializing in specific areas. Some mine entries for missing product codes or ratings info (very easy to move through if the cover's on file). Some focus on adding release info. You don't necessarily have to pick a new release and fill out every scrap of information on it. You can do well by finding a niche that interests you.

Credits are the most lucrative, if you have the patience for them. Screenshots, reviews, and cover art are going to be your best investment for good points and quick approvals. If any of those four interest you, they're all solid areas to make a home.

vedder (70793) on 1/26/2011 8:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Trust me, we'd love to have you on the approver back-end because there's always room for more approvers. But to be an approver requires the person to have an intricate knowledge of the database, all the written and unwritten standards, rules and regulations. The only way we can be certain a person has those feats is when they have a lot of contribution points (in different fields). We are a bit wary with giving people access to a lot stuff in the database, when we can't be certain how well they know the rules and how dedicated they are to the project.

If we let in just everyone before we know it there are trolls destroying everything. If we let in people who are dedicated, but have a poor understanding of the standards, then they might make a lot of mistakes which require corrections and admin intervention and really only increases the amount of work in the long run.

I hope you understand

Klaster_1 (57612) on 1/25/2011 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q]at this speed rate that's going to take forever[/Q] As I said before, there are a lot of other things you can contribute. Ad-blurb and screenshots queues are pretty fast.

MZ per X (3017) on 1/26/2011 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start John David Karlgren wrote--]It's a shame that one must first reach 1,000 something points to be allowed in, because at this speed rate that's going to take forever ;-) [/Q --end John David Karlgren wrote--] This is an easy one:

Just start contributing in a steady rhythm and you will get approvals in the same steady rhythm. You'll just have to survive the initial delay. :o)