🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Atari ST "technical specs" sound device update

Stefan Lindberg (19) on 10/30/2011 4:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Please add the following to sound devices support:

"Casio CZ-101", "Generic mono-timbral MIDI Device", "Generic multi-timbral MIDI Device"

Also "LAPC-I" can be removed (or changed) from "Roland MT-32 (and LAPC-I)" description as it is an ISA card for PC's... could be changed to "Roland MT-32 (and CM-32L)" instead as it is not platform dependant.

Actually so should MT-32 and LAPC-I/CM-32L not be as one device as LAPC-I/CM-32L is an slighlty updated MT-32 and has more sounds wich is more suited for games (like having sound effects).

Trypticon (11024) on 10/30/2011 9:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Stefan Lindberg wrote--]Please add the following to sound devices support:

"Casio CZ-101", "Generic mono-timbral MIDI Device", "Generic multi-timbral MIDI Device"

Also "LAPC-I" can be removed (or changed) from "Roland MT-32 (and LAPC-I)" description as it is an ISA card for PC's... could be changed to "Roland MT-32 (and CM-32L)" instead as it is not platform dependant.

Actually so should MT-32 and LAPC-I/CM-32L not be as one device as LAPC-I/CM-32L is an slighlty updated MT-32 and has more sounds wich is more suited for games (like having sound effects). [/Q --end Stefan Lindberg wrote--] Thanks for bringing this up. Unlike Sapiens or the Sierra games, not all games specifiy certain devices, for example Pirates or Chopper X. I'm guessing that means mono-timbral as a form of minimum support then?

Another thing that has been bugging me for a awhile is monitor support. Instead of "Color Monitor Required" I think it would be better to have two separate attributes, "Color Monitor Support" and "Monochrome Monitor Support".

That way, it would be possible to list and search for games that support one (monochrome only does after all exist too) or both.

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/5/2011 10:52 PM · Permalink · Report

added the monitor choices

Trypticon (11024) on 12/6/2011 4:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]added the monitor choices [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Thanks for that! The "color monitor required" attribute should just be renamed as the new "color monitor support" however, so the existing entries (over 300) will be covered under that new name, otherwise there'd be unnecessary redundancy there imho with three attributes (every "required" entry would also be a "supported entry").

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/6/2011 4:56 PM · Permalink · Report

well there is a difference between required and supported... required being that you have to have a color otherwise the game doesn't work while supported means the can be used with something other than a color monitor

Trypticon (11024) on 12/6/2011 6:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]well there is a difference between required and supported... required being that you have to have a color otherwise the game doesn't work while supported means the can be used with something other than a color monitor [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

Of course it means something different and gives different results when searched.. But then, you could also argue for a fourth "Monochrome Monitor" required" option, and for each of the DOS-Videomodes (or Sound Devices, whatever) as well, or am I missing something here? Hence I only initially suggested "support". Since there are only two options in this case and the combination, maybe

Color Monitor required, Monochrome Monitor required, and as third, "Monochrome/Color supported" is better? That covers everything with 3 attributes.

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/5/2011 9:31 AM · Permalink · Report

ok