Forums > MobyGames > How should differences in platforms be submitted?

Scribblemacher (195) on 7/13/2013 12:41 PM · Permalink · Report

There are many games on Moby that are combined (and should be combined) but are still very different.

Take Pool of Radiance for example. The NES version is so different from computer versions that I would doubt that they share a single line of code. While the basic points of the game, such as the maps and scenario, are relatively the same, there were many changes. The dialogue is completely different, the player no longer using an adventure's journal (i.e. the instruction manual) to solve puzzles, the graphics and menus are different, there is no money system, battles are significantly smaller, there is original music, etc.

Despite all the changes (and there are many), they are still the same game. You could play through the NES version using a PC walkthrough, and while you'd be perplexed by talk of a journal and different money units, you'd find your way through.

So my question is how do these types of differences--which are significant, and should be cataloged--supposed to be captured on Moby? It doesn't seem that the "Description" for the game's entry is used for this type of thing. Screenshots with good descriptions can help, but they probably aren't obvious.

Patrick Bregger (298433) on 7/13/2013 1:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Trivia is always a good place to start.

leilei (343) on 7/13/2013 1:25 PM · Permalink · Report

The NES version doesn't even have a system-breaking uninstaller!!!

Patrick Bregger (298433) on 7/13/2013 1:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Wasn't that the 2001 successor?

Indra was here (20760) on 7/13/2013 1:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Personally, I don't really fully understand why the need for these games need to be separated. Any significant differences can be easily tweaked in the game description and screenshots already are separated per platform.

Игги Друге (46656) on 7/18/2013 12:23 AM · Permalink · Report

I think it's Pseudo_Intellectual who came up with the line of reasoning that if the same walkthrough can be used, it's the same game.

Fred VT (25953) on 7/18/2013 12:36 AM · Permalink · Report

It is, and it makes much sense.