Forums > MobyGames > Games with Server Shut Downs?

Kendra Albert on 7/30/2014 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi Moby Games folks! I’m writing on behalf of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Currently, we’re in the information gathering stage of a new project, and we’re looking for examples of games where the authentication or multiplayer servers were shut off, especially ones where players created alternative solutions to continue to be able to play.

We have a number of MMO-related examples (Uru, Lego Online, Star War Galaxies), so now we’re slightly more interested in either single player games or games where servers played a matchmaking function.

Some server shutdowns that already on our radar: EA’s biannual shutdowns (including the FIFA and Madden games), Age of Empires, Gamespy, Nintendo’s DS and Wii, the planned (maybe?) Games for Windows Live shutdown.

Some gamer-led projects already on our radar: Allegiance, XBConnect; the DWC network server emulator for DS; the Wiimmfi project for Mario Kart Wii; Online Consoles support for Dreamcast, Gamecube and PS2.

Still, we would love more examples of games that got shut down and/or player efforts to keep games alive. I’m hoping that folks in this community might have some suggestions on where to look. If you are more comfortable discussing over email, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Nélio (1976) on 7/31/2014 12:12 AM · Permalink · Report

That's a great idea for a game group.

Rola (8483) on 7/31/2014 4:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Nélio wrote--]That's a great idea for a game group. [/Q --end Nélio wrote--] Yes, already proposed.

Cavalary (11445) on 7/31/2014 12:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I think the always-online crap is too new for server shutdowns to affect single-player games yet, though if there is one then it should definitely go right at the top of the list, assuming what this is all about.

Otherwise, likely not what you're looking for, but just recently remembered and submitted Archmage, a browser game that lasted between 1998 and 2002 but which spawned clones and spinoffs after the official server shutdowns. List of them on what I gather to be the first one's wiki.

About dead matchmaking components / older games with multiplayer now restricted to LAN or similar, think scouring GOG's catalog will yield quite a bunch. May have a poke these days.

Cavalary (11445) on 7/31/2014 1:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Meh, going through a few letters there but filtered by multiplayer at first, which was probably counter-productive if I wanted to see if any which originally had multiplayer lost it entirely. And obviously just going by their listed notices, and some may be missing, like in the cases where a sequel has the notice but the older game doesn't. But anyway, just at a quick glance up to L:

Blitzkrieg 2
Celtic Kings
Dragonshard
Empire Earth 1 | 2 | 3
Etherlords 2
Flatout 2
Ground Control
Dredd vs. Death
Lords of the Realm 1 & 2 | 3
Also not entirely sure what to make of the notices for Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale 1 and 2. Did they use to have servers?

mutters at caching bug "The message you are trying to post has already been posted." No it hasn't!

Havoc Crow (29859) on 7/31/2014 6:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

tranquility comes to mind - a single-player game which downloaded its levels from an online server, which is now defunct.

Cavalary (11445) on 7/31/2014 10:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

All right, here we go, no longer filtering.

Creatures Exodus (Docking Station server gone, fixes needed to use the component off-line).
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
M.A.X. 2
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Nexus
Nox
O.R.B.
Overlord
Perimeter
POD
Race Driver: Grid
Rogue Trooper
Sacred
Settlers 2 | 4
Sniper Elite: Berlin 1945
Spellforce 1 | 2 | Dragon Storm
Summoner

Now I'm sure you were looking for something like the sort of info JudgeDeadd could come up with, not somebody doing some grunt work on the notes on another site, but uh well. Maybe it'll be useful for that group, if it'll be made after all.

PS: Could somebody kick the server time a bit? It's still some 15 min behind...

Kendra Albert on 7/31/2014 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Grunt work also appreciated - it's great to be able to provide a long list! I didn't realize GOG had so many games with deprecated multiplayer. Thank you!

Maria Luiza on 8/3/2014 11:05 AM · Permalink · Report

this was reallyu very cool

lilalurl (733) on 8/3/2014 11:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Tribes 2 (free game now btw): http://www.mobygames.com/game/tribes-2

has been playable online again thanks to the community effort called TribesNext: http://www.tribesnext.com/

MichaelPalin (1414) on 8/3/2014 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi Kendra!

First of all, thanks a lot for the work you do on the EFF.

Since someone mentioned gog.com, I think it would be a good idea to contact them and ask them about what is their approach to games that have functionality dependent on centralized servers. It is a very interesting topic that of whether this counts as DRM or not and whether we should expect form video game companies to free any server side software they generate for their titles.

Another idea that can help you is looking at software/web sites like Hamachi and Tunngle. Both of them are p2p virtual private networks, in the case of Tunngle very oriented towards gaming. I think they can be considered as emulated LAN networks through the Internet. Both use centralized servers, so they are not a complete solution to the problem because the players still depend on a company to play their games.