Forums > MobyGames > Simulator vs. Simulation vs. Sim vs...

Indra was here (20760) on 10/7/2014 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Minor tidbit that's always bothered me to the point of confusion. Well, we all know that traditionally the simulation sub-genre referred to a first person cockpit of an aircraft, referring to the simulator machine used by air force pilots. Later it widened its scope other than aircraft, which now also includes sea vessels and driving machines.

Later the simulation sub-genre for some stupid reason, widened its scope to include practically anything that resembles real-life, which adds to the confusion as to when a game is a traditional simulator, a strategy game, and whether or not there's such a thing as third person simulator game?

Anyway, I would request that the traditional simulation games be renamed to simulator instead of simulation, so the Jane military geeks don't feel awkward sharing the same pub with the Sim fans. I suspect this recommendation will be ignored indefinitely.

<hr />

That aside, there is one aspect of a simulator that I'm still not sure of. A fantasy simulator. Though we have in the past accepted fantasy simulators, such dragons in DragonStrike and a military blimps in Storm Master...what about a Jousting simulator, as in Mount & Blade? I'm not entirely sure if this is a good idea or if simulators should excludee riding live creatures.

Rola (8486) on 10/7/2014 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra is here wrote--]so the Jane military geeks don't feel awkward sharing the same pub with the Sim fans[/Q --end Indra is here wrote--]

Problem already solved?
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/simulation/flight/
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/simulation/tank/

Mr. Lawman, don't step into a territory you're not familiar with. Or I will start asking you awkward questions like "is F-15 Strike Eagle II a simulator or just a complex shooter?".

Indra was here (20760) on 10/8/2014 6:23 AM · Permalink · Report

No, the problem doesn't lie with simulator games. The problem lies with non-simulator games or hybrids that one day proclaimed themselves to be simulators.

vedder (70667) on 10/8/2014 12:24 AM · Permalink · Report

This was all covered in my genre overhaul proposal.

Indra was here (20760) on 10/8/2014 6:24 AM · Permalink · Report

I fear we'd have grandchildren by then. :p

vedder (70667) on 10/8/2014 1:22 PM · Permalink · Report

That's surprisingly optimistic of you!

Indra was here (20760) on 10/8/2014 3:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Hah! Yeah, I do hope we get your genre overhaul up and running sometime before the whole of Antarctica melts, an Ebola pandemic, or ISIS converts to Buddhism.

Though come to think of it. You might want to post it in the public forums. scratches head Can't remember the last time I saw it.

Alaka (105740) on 10/8/2014 3:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra is here wrote--] Though come to think of it. You might want to post it in the public forums. scratches head Can't remember the last time I saw it. [/Q --end Indra is here wrote--]

.here

Indra was here (20760) on 10/8/2014 4:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Danke. rereads

Come to think of it. We need a few model games to describe each sub-genre as the patient zero. I loathe hybrids screwing up with our sub-genre system until someone finds the next gaming jargon only to be yet just another action-adventure hype.

Though I still adamantly recommend each game identifies only one primary genre. Have I discussed this before? Can't remember squat these days.