Forums > MobyGames > Disappearing submissions

Dae (7182) on 2/9/2016 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

So I had just submitted a game with full scans and credits (ugh), and it got hung up due to the release date not having a source backing it up. I have to admit it gets me a lot, going through few dozen tabs of archive.org web archives for press releases and whatnot, I often forget to include the proper one as proof for the final submission.

Anyway, I just now noticed that the submission had completely disappeared off the "There are some items that have been sent back to you from an approver for changes or clarification. Please click on the link below for more information." -list on the front page, while I was still trying to find the web.archive.org page I used for the release date.

Now, I've had submissions disappear on me before, but only when I haven't actually submitted them for approval. I take an with this system anyway, since giving a few days before a wip system is being completely removed off the site when it's just a few kilobytes of text. Something like that shouldn't stress the server enough to warrant their removal so quickly, but I digress.

What happened to the submission, and how can I get it back to resubmit with the corresponding sources for the release dates, without having to back again and remember what game description I had written, or having to re-type all of the credits for the game?

Victor Vance (18099) on 2/9/2016 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes some items disappear after a while while others remain in WIP status. I´m not sure about which belong to which category but yeah game entries seem to vanish (happened also to me once as I didn´t know that at the time), and I´m also not a big fan of these removals. I hope there is a way to restore your submission so your work wasn´t wasted! Maybe you have to contact the approver who originally send back your submission about that.

Terok Nor (41968) on 2/10/2016 7:59 AM · Permalink · Report

What was the name of the game?

Dae (7182) on 2/10/2016 11:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Aliens in the Attic.

I guess the problem doesn't affect everyone, but I'm trying to push whatever I can whenever I find free time, just takes few days to get back to unfinished submissions.

Terok Nor (41968) on 2/10/2016 12:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Looks like it's gone completely, unfortunately - no sign of it in the backend.

Dae (7182) on 2/10/2016 3:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I wish I just knew what I had written in the description, credits I can always just rewrite.

Could this system be addressed somehow? I know it's always a question of disk space, but keeping submissions in the system that people are meaning to finish should be more valuable than the temporarily "wasted" space.

vedder (70767) on 2/10/2016 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

What determines when a WIPed item is automatically removed? I currently have an item in WIP that was sent back to me back in August, but I doubt that's the case here.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/10/2016 7:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

If I read it correctly, it's determined per submission type.

• Company logo: 8 days
  • Company overview: 7 days
  • Credit submission: 14 days
  • Developer bio: 7 days
  • Developer site: 8 days
  • Ad blurb: 7 days
  • Game ranking: 5 days
  • Game trivia: 7 days
  • Game version: 7 days
  • News submission: 5 days
  • Poll question: 7 days
  • Ranking source: 5 days
  • Revision: 5 days
  • Game hint: 21 days

[Note to self: reviews]

• Featured game: 7 days
  • Game: rejected after 14 days, deleted after another 7
  • Game platform: rejected after 14 days, deleted after another 7

Anything not listed there should never auto-reject. Probably.

Edit: note that these are the times for things that have been submitted and then WIPed; the times may be (and sometimes are) different for items that have never been submitted at all.

Rola (8483) on 2/10/2016 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Tracy Poff wrote--]Anything not listed there should never auto-reject. Probably.[/Q --end Tracy Poff wrote--] Example: game added to Game Group. I have something WIPed 22 months ago still greeting me every time I log in :)