🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Cover-Art from Publishers Homepage accepted?

JimmyA (9929) on 4/1/2018 8:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Hello and Happy Easter! I found many Covers in a website of a publisher. They are introducing their assortment by showing a cover of the game. These are exactly the Images used as Front Cover in stores. Is it allowed to add (and possibly replace lower quality scans of front covers) these Covers in mobygames? The quality is like printing preview in the manufacturing process, so way better than any scan. No scratches, different colours, light reflection... but still not to be called "digital distributed" like steam, gog etc. Example: https://greenpepper.de/media/image/0e/0c/c6/16426_1.jpg Steam(copying) is already accepted. Maybe official sources like my example too? (sorry for my bad english ;-))

Simon Carless (1834) on 4/1/2018 1:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Sadly, that's not in our rules because it's always possible the covers aren't the same as the retail cover. I agree that nowadays things are different, of course! (Retail covers are increasingly less important.)

A few people have been uploading those covers into 'promo art' but I find that slightly confusing, so maybe best to leave alone.

JimmyA (9929) on 4/7/2018 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Why not decide for the better quality version? If cover scan is better, it can be kept. If cover from website is better (it is better for usual, I checked every single one), let´s accept this. Should be no problem for the avarage apprver to decide.

Simon Carless (1834) on 4/9/2018 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Historically, we have believed that there might be pre-production versions of art that aren't on the retail version displayed on the version on the publisher website. And especially on sites like Amazon.

Does anyone have a few that's different to this nowadays? (Things have changed a lot.)

Obviously, now we allow electronic covers from eShops, so that goes QUITE a long way towards fixing this anyhow... though I know this is different, since you likely mean retail cover art?

JimmyA (9929) on 4/15/2018 4:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

There is no difference from all Green Pepper Games shown at www.greenpepper.de and the actual printed version. So I uploaded them, some were accepted, some were rejected due to "just scans, not e-shops except Steam and GOG"-policy.

All my contributed Covers from Green Pepper Homepage were set int "work in progress"-Status. OK, keep progressing, I can wait.