🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Moby[what color do you want?]

Italian Caffe (1) on 4/23/2006 3:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmmm, when I first saw that thing about MobyDark, I thought 'Let's give it a try'. But I didn't liked it, so I've returned to the old MobyClassic theme. And now I was wondering, when MobyGames will introduce a new theme?

Corn Popper (69027) on 4/23/2006 3:32 PM · Permalink · Report

probably not.. if we're looking to dump dark for reasons that it's a pain to double code then there is a good chance no alternative theme would be added

Shoddyan (15003) on 4/24/2006 9:17 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The idea of "themes" for the website was introduced a long time ago. It hasn't been nearly as easy to maintain as was originally thought however, so some manual editing needs to be done after every major update. MobyDark has the additional problem of being "dark backgrounded" when the original site is "light backgrounded". Normally this doesn't make a difference to images, but it creates an issue with GIFs using transparency information (e.g. transparent bits that show the background underneath) and with some images that use minimal outlining.

Themes aren't a bad idea, but there's a lot of "double coding" going on, which is time that could be better spent on other site activities. Also problems can occur in the processing of the other theme that don't get noticed or fixed right away.

As mentioned, not a lot of websites even have multiple themes and looks. And users who want the pages they visit to look a certain way can use a tool such as Firefox's Greasemonkey extention.

Italian Caffe (1) on 4/25/2006 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the tip with Greasemonkey.