Forums > MobyGames > Instant Chat feature...

n][rvana (1823) on 7/10/2006 4:33 AM · Permalink · Report

I was reading a thread that Matt initiated about a "Reviews" Section for Forums, and it gave me the idea to propose this feature for Mobygames. Perhaps just a little chat applet or even a single shoutbox (like the one on replacementdocs.com).

I think it would be nice to be able to chat in real time between us, as perhaps we could talk about one or two things without having to flood the forums with threads, or perhaps when we just want to share an interesting thing or some news we saw somewhere. It would be nice too when we want to arrange meetings perhaps to exchange ideas about some new mobygames features in process of aproval, or something like that.

What do you think?

Corn Popper (69035) on 7/10/2006 6:14 AM · Permalink · Report

most all my approvers have msn, so we have chats from time to time to discuss issues

not so sure we have what it takes to support adding chat into the mix

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 7/10/2006 6:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I need to get MSN. :-P

Abi79 (299) on 7/10/2006 3:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I like n][rvana's idea. It's very good, and I don't think it would be hard to code. Lots of sites have chat things where people can chat in real time without making useless topics.

Apogee IV (2275) on 7/10/2006 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Why not just setup an IRC channel and have a java applet available on the site?

Riamus (8480) on 7/10/2006 9:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Argh... another channel for me to hang out in? :)

You know, if members wanted to set up a channel to chat in on IRC, they could easily do so. It wouldn't have to be set up by the MG staff. It would work as a short term solution for those who wanted it.

Btw, you can include IM contact information in your preferences that others can view. If you do so, you can easily set up chats with anyone else who also does so.

Apogee IV (2275) on 7/10/2006 10:03 PM · Permalink · Report

No, but it would be a lot easier solution for MobyGames instead of having to implement or entirely construct an "Instant Chat Feature," which is basically what IRC is anyways.

n][rvana (1823) on 7/11/2006 8:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually, I proposed the instant chat because it would be, as the name implies, an instant way to communicate, without the need to browse for a messenger id to send a message to.

The idea is instant communication between members of the MG community. Someone mentioned an applet for automatic connection to an IRC channel, it would b nice to have that, or simply a generic chat java applet.

What do you think?

Michael B (303) on 7/11/2006 8:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I think its a wonderful idea. I just hope that if such a feature comes, it will be made also for people with a low speed on their internet connection.

Shoddyan (15001) on 7/12/2006 12:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Alternatively, I think most IMs (ICQ, MSN, AIM, YIM...) have some web connectivity these days. It might be possible to include links for those or something. The little [Online] [send me a message] stuff I'm thinking.

Maybe I'm just weary about connecting to yet another tool that will pop up on my screen, even though I'm on MG enough of the time anyway.

Indra was here (20760) on 7/12/2006 12:15 PM · Permalink · Report

As much as I like this idea theoritically. There is one notion to which I might oppose it: International Time Table. If you've noticed the replies on many forums, people answer like tommorow or the next day. The nice thing about these posts is that is saved and you can read it whenever.