Forums > MobyGames > Game rankings question

Apogee IV (2275) on 1/4/2007 12:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I am in the process of adding game rankings and before I commence my epic quest to add all rankings from my +200 or so issues of Danish computer magazines I need something clarified. Now, in the some of the magazines the games are rated using the grading scale, which is used in the Danish school system. The scale is fairly irregular: 00, 03, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13. Since I know what the grades would correspond to if converted to the US based grading system, would it be okay if I submit the scores in the US based system?

nullnullnull (1463) on 1/4/2007 2:04 PM · Permalink · Report

numeric out of 13?

Bet (473) on 1/4/2007 2:08 PM · Permalink · Report

flipkin, check this stuff out! The new 12-scale they use is even better, with -03 being the lowest.

That is a heck of a grading system. I wonder what grading scheme my great-grandfather had was a boy in Denmark. I'm still chuckling over the extreme ends of this 13-scale, but I see the advantages, even if I don't completely understand the typical A-F I'm used to in the USA. Dunno why it makes me laugh, but it does.

Out of curiosity, how would you set the equivalents in the letter grading system? I know that the + and - modifiers have been set to such varying standards around even the USA that some institutions have completely abandoned them in favor of the ABCDF scale that corresponds directly to 4 through 0. While that has advantages too, it does have the uncomfortable side effect of making 81% the same as 89% and 91% the same as 100%. No wonder there are so many grading methods in the world.

Apogee IV (2275) on 1/4/2007 4:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Something like this:

A+=13
A=11
B=10
C+=9
C=8
D+=7
D=6, 5
F=03, 00

I could also do the numeric score of course, but please let me know which one you prefer before I start submitting.

Foxhack (32102) on 1/5/2007 5:55 AM · Permalink · Report

And here I thought the grading system used by the US of A (A+ to F-) was pretty dumb. This one's worse!

Игги Друге (46654) on 1/4/2007 5:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Since the system is weighted, just entering it as a numerical with max 13, minimum 0 should do just fine. I don't think the "holes" at the lower end of the scale should cause any worry.

Apogee IV (2275) on 1/4/2007 6:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Okay, thanks Iggy! And sheesh, just so you won't be alarmed, PC Player has changed grading systems like 3 or 4 times.

Riamus (8480) on 1/4/2007 11:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Hm... do we have any approvers who can read Dutch to get those approved? :)

Sciere (927131) on 1/4/2007 11:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I can read Dutch, but that is about as useful as knowing French if you want to go to Spain.

People in Denmark speak Danish :) To answer your question, I think Kabushi knows some Danish, and Iggy probably too.

Riamus (8480) on 1/5/2007 12:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey, it at least it starts with D! :)

Ok, so I don't know what the different languages are called in most of the world. I never had an interest in learning them. I know countries, but not languages.

chirinea (47504) on 1/5/2007 12:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Maybe 'cause you already know English and the world doesn't demand much more than that... ;)

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 1/11/2007 12:30 PM · Permalink · Report

You'd be surprised by the number of places where it's hard to get by with just English.

Indra was here (20756) on 1/5/2007 8:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Riamus wrote--]Hey, it at least it starts with D! :)

Ok, so I don't know what the different languages are called in most of the world. I never had an interest in learning them. I know countries, but not languages. [/Q --end Riamus wrote--]

Don't need to. The word "Dude" is pretty much universally accepted in any country nowadays I guess. Thank Bart Simpson for promoting English (American) culture. Him and Beevis and Butthead. Doh. (courtesy of Bart's dad).

Riamus (8480) on 1/5/2007 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I never liked those shows. :)

Игги Друге (46654) on 1/5/2007 5:32 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]I can read Dutch, but that is about as useful as knowing French if you want to go to Spain.

People in Denmark speak Danish :) To answer your question, I think Kabushi knows some Danish, and Iggy probably too. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Yes, but I'm not a PC approver. Last time I visited the PC rankings queue, I approved a lot of Finnish entries that no-one would touch with a very long pole. And I don't know a word of Finnish.

chirinea (47504) on 1/5/2007 1:46 PM · Permalink · Report

That's why you've got this job, Iggy. To do all the dirty work.