Forums > MobyGames > Top #25 Games

Indra was here (20756) on 5/8/2007 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

11 votes for #1?

Doh.

Sciere (930479) on 5/8/2007 6:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just a single vote can take it out the top #25 list. A minimum of 100 votes should be required there.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/8/2007 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Just a single vote can take it out the top #25 list. A minimum of 100 votes should be required there. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] As long as everyone who's voted has given it a high remark, I don't see why it shouldn't be there. As you say, a single vote is all that is required.

Sciere (930479) on 5/8/2007 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not representative for our all-times game list if a single vote can play such an important part. I don't doubt those people didn't want to artifically want to push the game up the list, but it doesn't look very professional if a game with so little votes is shown there.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/8/2007 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]It's not representative for our all-times game list if a single vote can play such an important part. I don't doubt those people didn't want to artifically want to push the game up the list, but it doesn't look very professional if a game with so little votes is shown there. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] I find it totally fair if the votes are so unanimous. As you say, all it takes is one bad vote, but so far no-one has placed one.

Besides, it looks far better than a list which otherwise looks like LucasArts's collected works.

Maw (832) on 5/8/2007 10:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Please no-one rate the game down unless you have played it.

Bet (473) on 5/11/2007 6:59 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Maw wrote--]Please no-one rate the game down unless you have played it. [/Q --end Maw wrote--] This is what I'm most concerned about. A higher required number of votes would make that much less of a problem, and practically any multiple of the required 10 votes would still keep the bulk of the games in. I loved Sam & Max Ep 2, but I don't think it's quite ready to be hanging out with Fallout. And I don't want people voting it down because of something like that :(

Also confused about the "No more than 50% of a games's score is based on the votes on non-registered users" line, since it doesn't seem unregistered people can vote?

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/11/2007 1:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree with that, I think games should have at least 50 votes to be included in any Top list.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/11/2007 8:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Saurian Meditation wrote--]Please no-one rate the game down unless you have played it. [/Q --end Saurian Meditation wrote--] Actually, I'm surprised that our mysterious user who votes 0.0 on every game hasn't done it yet.

Sciere (930479) on 5/11/2007 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Could it be someone who doesn't like games much?

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/12/2007 2:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Could it be someone who doesn't like games much? [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] No, 0.0 is a ridiculously low score that shouldn't be possible in anything but theory.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/12/2007 12:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think there is only one such user. There are too many games with ridiculously low scores out there, especially for newly introduced systems (like Macintosh).

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/13/2007 12:27 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--]I don't think there is only one such user. There are too many games with ridiculously low scores out there, especially for newly introduced systems (like Macintosh). [/Q --end Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--] That's because Mac gaming sucks by definition and the system knows it.

Shoddyan (15002) on 5/14/2007 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--]I don't think there is only one such user. There are too many games with ridiculously low scores out there, especially for newly introduced systems (like Macintosh). [/Q2 --end Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--] That's because Mac gaming sucks by definition and the system knows it. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Or else Von Katze has been running around at night to games on the Mac platform and poisoning their score :)... Yes, I know who you are "Crimson Avenger". Your mask fools not I.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 5/13/2007 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I think one user went around and voted all my reviews unhelpful a few months ago.

chirinea (47496) on 5/13/2007 1:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Same here...

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/13/2007 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I really don't like this "helpful" review rating so much. Because most people think like this: did he like the game I also like? So his review is helpful. Did he dislike one of my favorite games? His review sucks!

I mean, look at my positive and negative reviews: nearly all the positive ones are rated highly, while many negative ones have rating of 50% or less, regardless of the quality of the review.

Maw (832) on 5/13/2007 6:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I couldn't agree more. One of the big problems with us humans is we find it very difficult to deal with opinions different to our own.

[quote]Did he dislike one of my favorite games? His review sucks! [/quote]

Even if the reviewer reached his conclusion in a fair and balanced manner, it's still a bad review because he had the nerve to bash one of my favorite games. Call it fanboyism at work.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 5/14/2007 1:40 AM · Permalink · Report

It's a pain, yes, but really not more so than any other voting aspect. People can make crappy decisions on "helpfulness" just like they'll give crappy all-0 or all-5 ratings to a game, or write a crappy review that is either a lovefest or an execution. Just hopefully the decent ones are there, too, to tilt the averages.

tarmo888 (5258) on 5/11/2007 6:10 AM · Permalink · Report

maybe Bayesian Credibility Formula could fix it, like IMDb

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/9/2007 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

What are you talking about? "Grim Fandango" has over 300 votes... or has another game briefly dethroned it? Happens often, those 10+ voted "top games" usually go down in a few weeks.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 5/9/2007 1:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I think I missed it too. what was it?

NatsFan (68) on 5/14/2007 8:33 PM · Permalink · Report

And that's why we need a higher minimum nuber of votes required to get on the list.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/15/2007 1:30 AM · Permalink · Report

It seems we all agree about that; what do the Big Bosses say?

NatsFan (68) on 5/15/2007 1:46 AM · Permalink · Report

We know you're out there, people who actually run MobyGames!!!

Corn Popper (69027) on 5/15/2007 2:05 AM · Permalink · Report

we're in a bit of a flux right now, we're refocusing on what we're going to concentrate on for the site, but for now nothing like this is going to change, but keep it in mind and we'll revisit this later

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/15/2007 5:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Just as I expected... Boo!

Guy Chapman (1748) on 5/23/2007 10:38 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm of the mindset the "Top 25" should be the "Top 100". Most magazine gaming lists usually average around that number, and as this site is so diverse in number of users from around the world, I think it would balance out the console to PC favorites ratio, as it seems PC players are more apt to vote than console players.

I also agree that there should be a higher requirement of votes to establish what is essentially "the best of the best" by the Moby users.

Problem is, if you look at a lot of the voting totals games on here, not a lot of people actually vote on games. I'd say that only a small percentage of us consistently do. Some of these games can barely scrape up the 5-10 needed votes to be listed as any overall system or year favorite, no matter how good the title is.

It just strikes me as weird. Voting's one of the easiest things to do on the site, especially in garnering points.