🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Adding specific editions to ones' collection

SoulDancer (8) on 5/21/2007 7:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi everyone, First I have to say that I just discovered the site, and that it's great indeed. My following remarks are only suggestions, in the spirit of improving what is already well done. I don't know if some of you are familiar with the musical database discogs.com. Musically speaking, discogs is definitive in many ways, but my main point is that it references every single edition of a record, then allows you to add any specific edition to your collection, contrary to mobygames where you can only add to your collection "Devil May Cry", but not a specific edition. As you are already listing almost all the covers available for all games, I would say that the hard work is already done. Just add a "add to my collection / whish list" button next to every different edition and the job's complete. I have a long history using databases, and while I'm just a lonely voice here I hope I'll be heard, for I'm sure it's maybe the only thing left you need to be "the largest video game database on the Internet". Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!

chirinea (47495) on 5/21/2007 8:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey there, Yo Ga, welcome to MobyGames!

I'm not sure if I understood what you're asking exactly. When you say "add any specific edition to your collection", do you mean a US release or a Japanese release? If it is that what you mean, well, we don't support that really by now. But you can add that kind of info in the comments section of each game of your collection. If you take a look at my collection, for instance, you'll see that most of my games are covermounts, and going to the rap sheets you'll see that I added the release info and scans pertinent to almost every one of them.

But, if by "any specific edition" you mean, special editions (things like "game of the year, gold edition and such), well, it will only depend if we already have that specific edition on our database yet. In such case, the only "special edition" that we have for Devil May Cry is Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (Special Edition). If you know of any other special version of Devil May Cry or any other game, please, feel free to add it to our db.

SoulDancer (8) on 5/21/2007 8:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi Chirinea, thanks for your fast and kind answer. I'm hoping for the first option to be activated ("a US release or a Japanese release"). I saw the "comments section" but that doesn't do it for me... It's kinda frustrating to have all infos/pictures referenced and having to make ones' collection more accurate by using home-made comments... Also I picked up Devil May Cry because the Japanese edition has another controller configuration (X=Jump) which makes it more fun than the US release (not even speaking about the 50Hz Pal release). Such differences may not be enough to create another game entry, that's for sure, but makes sense when you want to list this particular edition (which you tracked several months before getting it...). But I'm keeping in mind that you wrote "we don't support that really by now" so let's hope it'll be posible in the near future!