Forums > MobyGames > Rare, Very Old RPG/Adventure game

Andy Smith on 7/12/2007 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I need a little help, it might be a lost cause but there was a game I played when I was first exposed to computers, an RPG I'd have to call it. I believe it was for Windows 3.1 but I'm not 100% positive, maybe DOS or a small chance it was Win95 but I'm 90% sure it was Win3.1 or DOS. Anyways, it had a "birds eye" overhead view of crude looking tiles and I don't believe there was much of a plot at all, atleast I don't recall one. You would go around fighting monsters and get armor and weapons and various items. It was a really really lame game and I haven't been able to find a shred of info anywhere I've looked but I can't recall the name at all which doesn't help. I thought it was soooo cool when I played it but I was a young kid back then and I would like to play the game again now just to see what used to entertain me! =) Any help would be much appreciated. We also used to buy alot of "game packs" back then and I'm not sure if it was included in one of them or not but I looked all around and I'm stumped. Please Help!!! Thanks!

chirinea (47496) on 7/12/2007 8:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Can you provide more details about the game? Since you've not given much, I'll let Pseudo shoot the first guess.

Virgil (8563) on 7/12/2007 8:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Entomorph?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 7/12/2007 8:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Given the description, I'm thinking something more roguelike, like Castle of the Winds. Take a look at the group and see what these games have in common with the one you're recalling.

Andy Smith on 7/12/2007 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Well first of all I apologize for the lack of detail, I've been racking my brain...I was a young buck at the time but it's kinda like those games you showed, when fighting enemies I don't believe there was a "fight screen" type thing that popped up I think they were just AI that walked up to you...I think...it probably wasn't anything very popular, as I recall, you might have been able to see the outlines of the different map tiles, or maybe they just didn't mesh well and it was obvious that it was a bunch of squares. It wasn't anything fancy as far as story lines or anything...I'll see what responses I get and in the meantime I'll stare at the wall trying to picture it in my brain lol. Thanks for the rapid response...

chirinea (47496) on 7/12/2007 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Castle of the Winds was also the first thing that came into my mind, but I thought you would guess The Tarturian here! =P

Andy Smith on 7/12/2007 9:05 PM · Permalink · Report

No animation I don't think, just overhead view of the map and the tiles move around on the map...I believe one of the first monsters you fight was a giant or an ogre and he had a club...just a little tile picture the same size as your character tile which was a little warrior guy with a sword. This is really gonna bother me if I don't find this dang game...It's not as crude as that Tarturian or whatever that game was, like i said, top view and just basic map tiles and stuff, I believe the program ran in a window so I gotta say it was windows 3.1...

Andy Smith on 7/13/2007 4:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Ok well after going thru thousands of game screenshots and looking at all the different games I understand why it isn't so easy, my description fits the bill of a few hundred games so far...I remember it having a pretty large windows help file with the game but this is driving me crazy I HAVE to find it, once I do I will post the name here, not that anyone cares, thanks for trying to help me!

Andy Smith on 7/13/2007 6:18 AM · Permalink · Report

YESSS! I can sleep now! Dang Pseudo you are good! After you suggested those games I checked 'em out and none looked even slightly familiar but after awhile I came accross a screenshot that was what I was looking for except I don't recall that amount of detail or the amount of buttons that are on there, it looks alot different but the text box at the bottom is the same...it was Castle of the Winds! Anyways thanks alot!!!!! I'm gonna get some sleep now. =)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 7/13/2007 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

it was Castle of the Winds!

Man, that was like throwing a ball behind yourself from halfway across the court and having it sink through the net. First guess! Damn, I'm good. It was the ambiguity over its Windowsness that did it for me -- roguelikes are almost always very much creatures of the textmode console screen. And, well, Epic games got good distribution through the good name engendered by ZZT and Jill... so chances are it would have been that popular one rather than a more obscure flavour. (All the same, I don't know if I'd describe CoTW as a "rare, very old rpg/adventure" ... maybe /one/ of those 8)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 7/13/2007 8:17 AM · Permalink · Report

First guess! Damn, I'm good.

/me does his touchdown dance in the endzone.

Andy Smith on 7/14/2007 9:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I didn't think it was a very popular game, when I think of popular games for win3.1 I think of warcraft or something. Yes you are good and if I ever need to know the name of another game I know who to ask! Thanks again bye