🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > North-American release

Cantillon (77031) on 11/4/2008 2:34 PM · Permalink · Report

When a game is released in North-America (as is sometimes the case on Steam), which countries are included? USA, Canada and Mexico?

Also, when the same game is released a few days later in other countries, can the release date on MobyGames just mention 'Worldwide', or should it list all countries except the North-American ones?

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/4/2008 3:38 PM · Permalink · Report

it depends, some countries have specific distributors in each country or region, so you can't just lump everything together

Cantillon (77031) on 11/4/2008 3:53 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]it depends, some countries have specific distributors in each country or region, so you can't just lump everything together [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

I'm particularly interested in the Steam case.

Foxhack (32100) on 11/4/2008 8:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lieven.dk wrote--] [Q2 --start Corn Popper wrote--]it depends, some countries have specific distributors in each country or region, so you can't just lump everything together [/Q2 --end Corn Popper wrote--]

I'm particularly interested in the Steam case. [/Q --end lieven.dk wrote--]Ubisoft hates anyone that isn't the US or Canada. They must think our money is tainted or something.

As far as I can tell, only indie games and those that were developed by Valve are truly worldwide releases. The rest have stupid region locks.

Cantillon (77031) on 11/5/2008 10:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--] Ubisoft hates anyone that isn't the US or Canada. They must think our money is tainted or something.

As far as I can tell, only indie games and those that were developed by Valve are truly worldwide releases. The rest have stupid region locks. [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] So, you can't buy Fallout 3 for example? The news item says it should be available worldwide.

Foxhack (32100) on 11/5/2008 5:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lieven.dk wrote--] [Q2 --start Kit Silva wrote--] Ubisoft hates anyone that isn't the US or Canada. They must think our money is tainted or something.

As far as I can tell, only indie games and those that were developed by Valve are truly worldwide releases. The rest have stupid region locks. [/Q2 --end Kit Silva wrote--] So, you can't buy Fallout 3 for example? The news item says it should be available worldwide. [/Q --end lieven.dk wrote--]Yeah, they FINALLY did this last night. It took months and months of customer complaints both at their forums and Valve's forums for them to lift the ban.

About time they realized WE HAVE MONEY TOO.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/1971/ - At least I can now browse their catalog, I couldn't even look at the items before yesterday.