Forums > Game Talk > DOOM II: Hell on Earth

Indra was here (20756) on 11/4/2010 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Anyone knows which game this is supposed to be? Have at least 1 revision and 2 game descriptions referring to this title. Doesn't seem to be in the database.

Cantillon (76815) on 11/4/2010 2:36 PM · Permalink · Report

It's a removed alt title for DOOM II.

Indra was here (20756) on 11/4/2010 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

An incorrect title? Just to be sure.

Cantillon (76815) on 11/4/2010 2:39 PM · Permalink · Report

It was on file. One of the admins probably removed it.

vedder (70767) on 11/4/2010 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

But why? It's the title on the back of the box :S

Or was it the primary title and thus removed?

Cantillon (76815) on 11/4/2010 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I think it was classified as working title.

Indra was here (20756) on 11/4/2010 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]I think it was classified as working title. [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]We don't accept working titles anymore?

Terok Nor (41955) on 11/4/2010 3:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]But why? It's the title on the back of the box :S [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Indeed. I'm also pretty certain it is in ASCII form somewhere, either on boot-up or in the goodbye screen after shutdown.

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/4/2010 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

now why don't you guys start these at the particular game forum instead?

anyways... it was the ruling about the front of the box.. yeah it doesn't say it on there except for the back

I added an alt title for it though

Indra was here (20756) on 11/4/2010 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

A user is questioning the validity of this trivia:

In the very early stages of Doom the DoomGuy's right ear could take damage and turn into flimsy peace of flesh. This was removed in the later versions of Doom.

Can anyone confirm?

Adzuken (836) on 11/4/2010 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]A user is questioning the validity of this trivia:

In the very early stages of Doom the DoomGuy's right ear could take damage and turn into flimsy peace of flesh. This was removed in the later versions of Doom.

Can anyone confirm? [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] I don't believe this is true. I just checked out version 0.99, which, as far as I know, is the earliest available version, and Doomguy's ears stay intact straight through to death. Most of the earliest known alphas don't even have the face on the status bar. Also, the Doom Wiki makes no mention of there being any major changes to the face throughout development.

There is however an exploding head death that is only present in the 3D0 and Playstation versions of Doom. But that's way different.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 11/4/2010 5:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I went looking for photographic evidence, and all I found was this.

Indra was here (20756) on 11/4/2010 8:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Lovely choreography. Was half expecting some of the ears to fall off. :p

Always impressed with Bollywood which usually always seem to be able to maximize female sensuality, but usually never pass the point of being slutty.

Cantillon (76815) on 11/4/2010 11:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've merged all trivia items into one item (it's in the queue). I've already left out this one.

Adzuken (836) on 11/4/2010 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

The Doom II manual PDF that I have says;

The Story Continues... Doom II: Hell On Earth

The strange thing is, I've formally referred to Doom II with its subtitle ever since I was a kid, and I must have picked it up from somewhere more prominent. I never even realized it wasn't on the front of the box or the title screen until now. I think time travel must have been involved and now history has changed and erased the subtitle from common use.

leilei (343) on 11/4/2010 11:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

If you're starting the original DOOM II in DOS you can clearly read its ": Hell on Earth" subtitle way at the top. Some source ports honor this even. This IS the official subtitle of the original Doom II. There is no other subtitle for any other official revision of the game, just version number. Though since I have just mentioned the DOS startup title, I am probably going to see an argument for "DOOM Operating System" for another title for the first game. :(

The only working title you're thinking of is "Doom: Evil Unleashed" which was dropped before Doom came out.

Parf (7873) on 11/5/2010 5:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I also seem to remember Doom II was released as v.1.666. :)