🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Duty Calls

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/4/2011 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Saw that no one posted this here yet, I just loved it. Pretty much sums up the way I feel about most shooter games of the past decade...

Duty Calls on YouTube.

You can actually download the game at dutycalls.com (~800 MB), but there isn't any more content than what you see in the video. Apart from a trailer of the game this is a promotion for which, ironically, in my view isn't all too different from the games this parody makes fun of ("Bulletstorm").

vedder (70822) on 2/4/2011 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

What are wasting your time around here for, gogo document!

Klaster_1 (57612) on 2/4/2011 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I already did that yesterday.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/5/2011 4:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Biggest laugh, by far, was shooting the guy three times and then the Jeep he's driving explodes.

Granted, I'm not sure if the guys making "the game where you can shoot out dudes' assholes" are in a position to talk about revolutionizing things, but at least they have a sense of humour.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 2/5/2011 6:50 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start BurningStickMan wrote--]Granted, I'm not sure if the guys making "the game where you can shoot out dudes' assholes" are in a position to talk about revolutionizing things, but at least they have a sense of humour. [/Q --end BurningStickMan wrote--] It felt to me like it wasn't necessarily making fun of the tropes themselves, but rather their absurdity and how Call of Duty takes them so seriously. Bulletstorm uses many of the same tropes (BLOODY SCREEN!) but revels in its absurdity and over-the-top style.

What I've seen of it reminded me of a more polished and fleshed-out The Club, which is in no way a bad thing.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/6/2011 2:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Good point. In my view it might be just the same-old shooter stuff, but at least it's supposed to be over-the-top, and not the same Tom-Clancy-esque patriotic war-glorifying junk we've been presented with on a monthly basis for the past decade.

By the way, that was my favourite part. "B-b-b-b-bloody screen! So real..." =D

Klaster_1 (57612) on 2/7/2011 3:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, official Georgian UDK-based game about law enforcement!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/12/2011 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]Wow, official Georgian UDK-based game about law enforcement! [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--]

Even though it is completely off-topic, I am somewhat intrigued. Can this game be enjoyed even if you don't speak any Georgian?

Indra was here (20755) on 2/13/2011 3:15 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]Can this game be enjoyed even if you don't speak any Georgian?[/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]I'm in awe at the memories of some fellow gamers who don't speak Japanese nor can they read kanji but are able to play and finish those big JRPGs like Final Fantasy in their original language. Way above my hardcore level.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/13/2011 4:55 AM · Permalink · Report

The only non-translated Japanese games I ever really played were train simulators, and that only worked out because 90% of what you have to read are numbers. On the other hand the GeoPolice game is a shooter, so maybe it's no big deal. I don't think I would have a lot of trouble playing through Half-Life in a language I can't read.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 2/13/2011 5:16 AM · Permalink · Report

You can definitely play it through with no problems, except some plot frustration and lack of details. But someone with knowledge of Georgian might be required to add the game in MG.

Zovni (10504) on 2/7/2011 3:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Anybody else feels like this would have been much more interesting and memorable with a bit of subtlety? I mean, did they really have to underline every cliche so that it would be funny? Guys, you don't need to tell us that the bad guy in the end is a cliche and that its funny and we have to laugh. We get it. I had a few chuckles, but this is less of a parody and more of a Scary-Movie -type namedropping. If anything this only serves to remind me of the drunken fratboy idiocy that Bulletstorm is.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 2/7/2011 5:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Afraid I am finding myself agreeing with Zovni. Whilst I do like parodies (and Scary movies 3 and 4, funnily enough) and having got a small chuckle out of it, I just got the feeling from it that it is just a guy on an angry rant that he is vainly attempting to pass it off as humour.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 2/7/2011 8:53 PM · Permalink · Report

This is an advertisement for Bulletstorm. Making it subtle would be a betrayal of the source material.

MichaelPalin (1414) on 2/7/2011 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

What I find funny about this parody is that it also parodies games made by the same publisher (EA: Bad Company, Medal of Honor) and the same studio (Epic: Gears of War, Gears of War 2). That is, they give us the problem and the solution at the same time, o_0

Additionally, I think EA is obsessed with Call of Duty, the only reason they parody it is because they cannot have it. It will be ridiculous when they release another Call of Duty clone through the guys who left Infinity Ward.

leilei (343) on 2/13/2011 11:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

My favorite part is the paratrooper. Too bad he didn't hit a tree.

They forgot to put in the dramatic shellshock events :(