Forums > Game Talk > Worst Game Ending Thread

The Cliffe (1552) on 3/29/2012 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I just finished playing Renegade Ops, and dual-stick vehicle shooter with some of the most over-the-top comic book storytelling I've seen in a video game. Anyways, the conclusion involves a plot twist that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and though it doesn't ruin the game by any means, still comes off as a minor insult to my intelligence.

So I ask the community: what's the worst game ending you guys have come across?

(I encourage people to be non-specific about details, at the risk of spoiling things for folks who haven't played the game in question).

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 3/30/2012 3:37 AM · Permalink · Report

It's much easier for me to remember good game endings, because most game endings are disappointing.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/30/2012 3:59 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I never played a single game of the Mass Effect series as its game mechanics don't cater to my tastes—watched walkthroughs instead—, but I'm a bit invested in it nonetheless as I like the art design, the music, and some of the nicely written vignettes revolving around the poster characters. The universe itself had a lot of potential for a wide range of games; had, as I'm of the opinion that they already fucked that one up with the backstory introduced in the first game. But all this is trivia compared to the ending of Mass Effect 3. Never seen anything comparable yet. In Western gaming, that is.

EDIT:

[Q --start The Cliffe wrote--]I encourage people to be non-specific about details, at the risk of spoiling things for folks who haven't played the game in question.[/Q --end The Cliffe wrote--] Why not making a spoilers note in the thread title, then? Unless of course there ain't no interest in discussing the endings, just listing them.

The Cliffe (1552) on 4/2/2012 8:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I debated whether or not to allow spoilers in this thread. I suppose you could so long as you specify at the top of your post that you're spoiling something. It can also be argued that games from 15 years ago are immune to being spoiled...I mean, it's not like we didn't give you a chance to finish them...

vedder (70767) on 3/30/2012 7:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Talk about insults to intelligence.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/30/2012 10:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Talk about insults to intelligence. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Without going into detail land, what's so bad about it? How does it compare to, say ME3?

vedder (70767) on 3/30/2012 11:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Haven't played ME3, but planning to, so I have tried to avoid spoilers and cannot compare.

But basically after beating the final boss there's a room with 4 buttons. And depending on which button you press you get a different cutscene. That's their idea of multiple endings based on how you play the game.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/30/2012 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]room with 4 buttons[/Q --end vedder wrote--]

So it's push button for CMYK versus RGB. Thrilling.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/30/2012 7:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] And depending on which button you press you get a different cutscene. That's their idea of multiple endings based on how you play the game. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] It's not only that, but the ending themselves are just voiceovers playing over crappy stock footage. Can't even remember what they were saying in them, it all felt so bland and generic. They copypasted just about the worst idea of MGS 2.

In the case of ME3 (no spoilers here) personally I did like the ending I chose as part of my story (the green one). It was sort of diminished when (out of curiosity) I saw what the other endings looked like, but on its own it did make sense to me and my experience.

The little post-credits scene in HR was fan-servicingly cool though.

leilei (343) on 3/30/2012 3:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Xenon 2 Megablast

vedder (70767) on 3/30/2012 4:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I never could get it all the way to the end, so I was spared that I guess :) Does remain one of my favourite childhood classics :)

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 3/30/2012 4:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Does a lack of an ending count? If so, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 3/31/2012 10:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Halo 2. How and why did Bungie ever think a cliffhanger ending would work in a game? After you put the sort of investment you put into a game, I want an ending, not a cheap way to flog off Halo 3. And it was such an improvement over Halo 1, it was my only major complaint, save for the little, almost ignorable design flaws that carried over from Combat Evolved.

The Cliffe (1552) on 4/2/2012 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

To be fair, Bungie more or less had a license to print money by the time they finished Halo 2 -- millions of pre-orders, etc etc. So it's a reasonably safe assumption that they'd get backing for a third game, and writers are forever going to be obsessed with trilogies. I agree though, it does come off as a bit of a cash grab.

Less intelligent is the move by Snowblind Studios to and on a cliffhanger with the Baldur's Gate: DA series. There may very well have been solid plans in the works for a third Dark Alliance game, but then Sony apparently gave Snowblind an offer they couldn't refuse to give the same Action-RPG treatment to the Everquest Franchise. New source material, brand new story line, and Baldur's Gate takes a hit in the coherency department.

Incidentally, Snowblind's second Everquest title, Champions: Return to Arms, has something even crappier than the cliffhanger ending. Anyone remember those old Nintendo 8-bit games that would end in a black screen with the message "Congratulations! You win!" and then roll credits? Yeah, pretty much that.

chirinea (47496) on 3/31/2012 8:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--]Does a lack of an ending count? If so, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. [/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--]Ditto.

Patrick Bregger (299645) on 3/31/2012 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I really hated the ending of Divinity II.

Adzuken (836) on 4/1/2012 12:12 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't remember every terrible ending I've seen, but I'll have to say Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 deserves mention. It was literally just someone in a room that explains what the plot was about. It was also unfinished so all your squad mates spontaneously disappeared and there's no indication of how you got where you did.

I also must say I absolutely hate cliffhanger endings, especially those in which the developers didn't satisfyingly wrap up what was happening in the current game. One particularly good example was Anachronox. The game's protagonists were flying off towards the climax and boop "to be continued..." And it never was.

Parf (7873) on 4/2/2012 7:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Both Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance as well as its sequel did this in the most horrible way as well. The first one ends with a cliffhanger and a promise of a sequel. Sequel comes out and I buy it... guess what?! Even more of a cliffhanger ending in that one... and then there were no more games made. :(

Chentzilla (227) on 4/2/2012 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]I don't remember every terrible ending I've seen, but I'll have to say Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 deserves mention. It was literally just someone in a room that explains what the plot was about. It was also unfinished so all your squad mates spontaneously disappeared and there's no indication of how you got where you did. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

So Mass Effect 3 ending isn't even original...

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93698) on 4/2/2012 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

For as much as I love the game otherwise, Final Fantasy VI. Not so much that it's terrible, but it was just such a let-down to me personally after spending so many hours with these characters, and then...that's it?

Of special mention are games that pop a YOU WON! achievement literally right as you deal the last blow to the boss. Way to ruin any potential tension as to whether that was the end, guys.

Parf (7873) on 4/3/2012 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂譲太郎 -jotaro.raido- wrote--]Of special mention are games that pop a YOU WON! achievement literally right as you deal the last blow to the boss. Way to ruin any potential tension as to whether that was the end, guys. [/Q --end 雷堂譲太郎 -jotaro.raido- wrote--]

Oh yeah... I hate that too! Not just endings, but they pop up in tension-filled cut scenes and all sorts of inappropriate places. They should be programmed to show up when they're not in the way or ruining immersion. As if that's even possible? ;)

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/3/2012 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂譲太郎 -jotaro.raido- wrote--] Of special mention are games that pop a YOU WON! achievement literally right as you deal the last blow to the boss. Way to ruin any potential tension as to whether that was the end, guys. [/Q --end 雷堂譲太郎 -jotaro.raido- wrote--] Achievements are kind of a disgrace, if you ask me. I mean, in some games it's cool to have them, like the ones where you're chasing for points or some kind of accumulative goals --like multiplayer games maybe; but last night I was playing Alan Wake, and having those stupid little windows popping up every 5 minutes can really kill the atmosphere in a story-based one.

At the very least, the on-screen announcements should be optional.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 4/5/2012 5:52 AM · Permalink · Report

On the Xbox they are, but I think you have to turn off all notifications, messages and logging notices included. On the PS3 it's impossible to turn them off.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93698) on 4/5/2012 6:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]On the Xbox they are, but I think you have to turn off all notifications, messages and logging notices included. On the PS3 it's impossible to turn them off. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--] Yeah, you can turn them off, but it's all-or-nothing with the notifications. I turned them off because even if it's a friend notice, it still breaks the immersion quite handily.