🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Battles

Hello X) (11584) on 8/9/2012 6:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Over the years there has been many battles between companies and platforms. To me these are the battles that I lived with and i was wondering what peoples preferences were. Any others that people can remember?

• Commodore 64 vs ZX Spectrum
  • Amiga vs Atari ST
  • Nintendo vs SEGA
  • Playstaion's vs XBox's
  • It's not about the better machines just what you preferred to buy and play. Mine is C64, Amiga, Nintendo and Playstion's.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 8/10/2012 5:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Hello, I'm a PC. And he's a Mac.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 8/10/2012 5:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Of course, SNES vs Genesis ("Sega does what Nintendon't"?!) is legendary, as is Game Boy vs Game Gear.

GTramp (81965) on 8/10/2012 9:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Atari "64 bit" Jaguar vs. the world.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 8/10/2012 11:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Its funny, for the sixth console generation, I was a PS2 guy. But now were into the seventh Gen, I prefer the Xbox 360.

Parf (7873) on 8/10/2012 9:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I went from a NES to a MegaDrive to a PS1 to owning all of them and all the other systems released up to that point basically (and beyond). There was also an Atari ST in there somewhere.

How's that for picking sides? ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/16/2012 7:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I didn't really pay attention to those famous battles because for me there has always been a clear winner there. SMS and Genesis don't even come close to Nintendo consoles in terms of game quality.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/16/2012 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]SMS and Genesis don't even come close to Nintendo consoles in terms of game quality. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Considering your tastes, this surprises me none. As a shooter and platformer afficionado, I find the Megadrive to have a much more enjoyable library than the SNES. ;)

Incidentally, the AVGN just posted a two-part SNES vs Genesis comparison video. It's amusing just to see him aghast at the arguments of his own eight-year-old self. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/17/2012 4:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Megadrive had better platformers than SNES?! Prove it! :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/17/2012 8:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, not to say it's better, but I certainly don't think it did any worse. The SNES might have Yoshi's Island, but the Genny had Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which I personally consider the absolute pinnacle of the action platformer to date.

There were a lot of other great exclusives as well. Off the top of my head: Rocket Knight Adventures, Vectorman, Dynamite Headdy, Garfield: Caught in the Act, Pulseman, Monster World IV, Alisia Dragoon... On the flipside, I adore Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid, though I'm hard pressed to come up with any other quality (non-Mario) exclusives.

Of course, I was a Sega kid growing up, so I might be a little biased. ;) I've never understood the appeal of Donkey Kong Country, for instance...I find it to be an ugly, slippery, poorly-designed mess of a game.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 8/18/2012 11:28 PM · Permalink · Report

The only one I really noticed was Dreamcast vs. PS2, sadly that was a true battle to the death. I didn't take sides, and unfortunately I didn't even own either of them. I played one at a friend's house and the other at another friend's house. Much more on the PS2, but I always though the Dreamcast was very cool, sort of like the more quirky, more personal, overall probably more interesting world with a lot of great ideas, stuff no one else really tried before or after. I was quite sad when it was discontinued. It would have been great to have a bolder platform around.

Around here the Xbox never really was any competition to the PS after that. I know exactly one person who ever owned one, and I never played one.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 8/19/2012 5:58 PM · Permalink · Report

While they admittedly did have platform exclusives, at least for a while, the forerunners of the last generation (PS2 / Xbox 1) really did seem to me like a case of same shit, different pile. The only one that stood out was the Gamecube, and that mostly because Nintendo doesn't 3rd-party develop for the competition. I guess sometimes giving your platform a particular personality is a liability.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/19/2012 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Really? I can think of so many PS2 exclusive must-play games (Shadow of the Colossus and God Hand pop up to mind immediately) that if I ever were to buy a console, it would undoubtedly be a PS2 --no contest possible.

On the other hand, while the 360 does have a couple of exclusives I'm mildly interested in, I can't think of a single one for the original Xbox.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 8/20/2012 4:45 AM · Permalink · Report

The GTA 3s were initially on the Playstations only, conversely Xbox was the only place to go to play Halo. (But why would you?)