🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > An obscure DOS first-person action/adventure

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/15/2012 4:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Just stumbled upon an apparently very obscure DOS first-person action/adventure game from 2000 made by a German programmer Florian Born that is called Desperabis. According to the game's home page (archived copy), the full game was released as freeware on December 17, 2000. I have not yet found any information regarding its distribution prior to that date (i.e. whether it was free or sold). Info on the game is rather scarce, but it does feature some decent graphics, judging by screenshots.

The full version can be downloaded here: DESPERA2.EXE

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/17/2012 1:47 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I remember playing this, I think it was included on some magazine coverdiscs back then. For some reason I remember it mostly for its 3D engine. This was released past DOS' prime, but a big deal was made out of the fact that the programmer coded the entire engine from scratch on his own, which made it seem pretty amazing. I feel like I remember the engine because you could get its source code, but I'm not 100% sure; maybe he just documented very well how he built it. But I know that I memorised the name because I was planning to take a look at how one writes a 3D graphics engine.