;)

my personal top 5:

• lara croft (with nude cheat)
  • ivy
  • lara croft (without nude cheat)
  • samus aron
  • candy kong

Katakis | カタキス (43092) on 9/23/2013 7:38 AM · Permalink · Report

I go with Lara Croft as well, especially when she does that handstand for no reason.

Rola (8486) on 9/23/2013 10:20 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I could never understand why people get excited about bunch of pixels or polygons. After all, nearly-photorealistic realtime graphics in games were introduced only few years ago. Promotional (pre-rendered) 3D CGI was ahead by one or two steps, but still had that plastic look.

This is why I could never get excited by Lara Croft - and the more hype the thing gets, the more I dislike that thing. Blocky face, out-of-proportions body and cookie-cutter personality - that's how I met her in 1990s.

<hr />

So far my favorite would probably be Kate Archer from the first "No One Lives Forever" - and surprise surprise, not because she was modeled after a fashion model. That would make her another Lara. It's the witty dialogue + spunky and foxy voice acting by Kit Harris that makes her a dream date for me! http://youtu.be/lcTJDFRNeGo?t=1h27m39s

I hate that neo-vampire fad, but this particular 3D CGI is great: http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1142084821-00.jpg

Æ‘reddÆ´ (5833) on 9/23/2013 12:13 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]I could never understand why people get excited about bunch of pixels or polygons. [/Q --end Rola wrote--]

If you want to fall on your back, check out what HATS in Team Fortress 2 are worth.

This is the top backpack at the moment, and yes it's valued at 48287 US$ for a bunch of pixels.

Much more jaw dropping than Lara's bony ass :P

MrFlibble (18144) on 9/23/2013 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start I blame Greg Mueller wrote--]This is the top backpack at the moment, and yes it's valued at 48287 US$ for a bunch of pixels. [/Q --end I blame Greg Mueller wrote--] I'm not sure I entirely understand, who is supposed to buy this and for what purpose?

Æ‘reddÆ´ (5833) on 9/23/2013 12:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--] [Q2 --start I blame Greg Mueller wrote--]This is the top backpack at the moment, and yes it's valued at 48287 US$ for a bunch of pixels. [/Q2 --end I blame Greg Mueller wrote--] I'm not sure I entirely understand, who is supposed to buy this and for what purpose? [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--]

These are items you get to wear in game, cosmetic. Some of the hats are VERY rare so they are worth a lot of $$$

MrFlibble (18144) on 9/23/2013 12:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You mean some individual player can pay around fifty thousand bucks for some apparel for their in-game character to wear?

I didn't know people who can actually afford that waste their time playing video games..?

Æ‘reddÆ´ (5833) on 9/23/2013 1:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--]You mean some individual player can pay around fifty thousand bucks for some apparel for their in-game character to wear?

I didn't know people who can actually afford that waste their time playing video games..? [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--]

All the valve free-to-play games (DotA 2 and Team Fortress 2) use this system to make money. Basically you get rewarded for playing the game with random item drops. One of these items are know as crates, you have a 1% chance of finding a rare or unusual item inside them. Only catch is, to get it open you have to buy a key for $2.5 from their store.

So if you "uncrate" a super rare hat and there are people prepared to pay shit loads of money for it, it creates a economy of supply and demand just like any other.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/23/2013 6:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--]You mean some individual player can pay around fifty thousand bucks for some apparel for their in-game character to wear?

I didn't know people who can actually afford that waste their time playing video games..? [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] MrFibble, meet Chinese gamers. Chinese gamers, meet MrFirbble.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/23/2013 6:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start abandoned moby b4 it was cool wrote--] [Q2 --start Rola wrote--]I could never understand why people get excited about bunch of pixels or polygons. [/Q2 --end Rola wrote--] If you want to fall on your back, check out what HATS in Team Fortress 2 are worth.

Much more jaw dropping than Lara's bony ass :P [/Q --end abandoned moby b4 it was cool wrote--] What could have evolved to yet another boobie thread and the first thing that came to your mind was hats?

Restart puberty. Now.

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/24/2013 3:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/25/2013 5:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Why "hottest"? Are women just eye candy? I care very much about female protagonists - they are still rare enough to be very important - but what interests me is their "inspiration potential". Anyway, people of all genders play games and clever and tough female protagonists can be an inspiration for girls, usually a much better inspiration than some silly barely-clad pop starlets.
I prefer older games anyway and have never played any photorealistic game, so my examples will necessarily be older. Two characters I liked very much were Zanthia the alchemist from "Hand of Fate" ("Legend of Kyrandia 2") and Pepper from "Pepper's Adventures in Time". Pepper is just a girl, not a woman, quite tomboyish, far from sexual expectations imposed on adult women - and that's something I like. Being asexual, I can identify better with non-heteronormative characters (Laura Bow is already too heteronormative for my taste ;)), especially - with women and girls who just do their own thing and aren't bothered by the "duty" to find a mate. Anyway, people do a lot of different things and I really don't see a reason for the area of sex or even love to be privileged against other areas of life.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/25/2013 5:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Nowhere Girl wrote--]Anyway, people do a lot of different things and I really don't see a reason for the area of sex or even love to be privileged against other areas of life. [/Q --end Nowhere Girl wrote--]Considering that many males in other species would prefer the possibility of getting eaten alive by the female, just for the chance to get laid, should give you an idea about priorities according to Mother Nature. :p

Cavalary (11445) on 9/25/2013 10:26 PM · Permalink · Report

In addition, in case it wasn't obvious, this is just a trolling thread. As almost all that were started since this cybersquatters' place popped up instead of MobyGames on here.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/25/2013 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

So what? The subject is important enough to give a more serious reply...

Rola (8486) on 9/26/2013 5:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Too bad you skip my NOLF comment. Cate is fiercely independent (orphan background) and constantly has to prove her worth - 50 years ago women were treated even less equal than today, and after all, she doesn't want to end up with desk job, she wants to be a field agent. She mouths off to her male superiors. She ridicules all those muscular hunks which try to hit on her.

No ski jumping hills to climb on, but at least she rides a snowmobile...

Best stuff in NOLF is hidden in dialogues (often optional), but no wonder that it's lost to many people (even reviewers), as they simply press the skip button - "tl;dr generation".

Æ‘reddÆ´ (5833) on 9/26/2013 9:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember reading a interview in a magazine with one of the Monolith developers a fair few years ago. One of the stories he told was about how many returns there was of NOLF games because gamers (mostly men I assume) dont want to play as a girl. That's why they killed the NOLF franchise and started working on Contract J.A.C.K. the exact same game but with a man as the protagonist.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 9/27/2013 6:42 AM · Permalink · Report

True, I haven't noticed the NOLF comment. Probably because I just don't know this game and the first mention didn't explain much. But yeah, female protagonists of this kind are way better as role models for girls than ones who only rely on their appearance. And being pretty is a right, but not a duty.

Rola (8486) on 9/27/2013 1:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[q]And being pretty is a right, but not a duty.[/q] As Saint Augustine once said: "Beauty is indeed a good gift of God; but that the good may not think it a great good, God dispenses it even to the wicked."

Atheists: replace "God" with RNG.

Indra was here (20760) on 9/27/2013 2:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Nowhere Girl wrote--] And being pretty is a right, but not a duty. [/Q --end Nowhere Girl wrote--]I'd actually feel slightly upset if I played a not so handsome male character.

Dirk Schulz on 10/1/2013 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start abandoned moby b4 it was cool wrote--]I remember reading a interview in a magazine with one of the Monolith developers a fair few years ago. One of the stories he told was about how many returns there was of NOLF games because gamers (mostly men I assume) dont want to play as a girl. That's why they killed the NOLF franchise and started working on Contract J.A.C.K. the exact same game but with a man as the protagonist. [/Q --end abandoned moby b4 it was cool wrote--] Now, this is a part I do not really get. Why would anyone not want to play Kate Archer? She is a great player character. I guess this happens when you need to make games that sell in tens of millions; you go to the lowest common denominator of your target group. BTW: I liked NOLF1&2 so much, that I bought Contract Jack despite the bad review. Suffice it to say, I didn't play beyond the first 30min. In that sense, it may have the same engine, spy organization(s), etc. - but it certainly is not the "exact same game". Not meant as criticism to the quoted post, rather I mean to say there's much more than an engine and running and shooting to the games, right?

[Q --start Nowhere Girl wrote--]True, I haven't noticed the NOLF comment. Probably because I just don't know this game and the first mention didn't explain much. But yeah, female protagonists of this kind are way better as role models for girls than ones who only rely on their appearance. And being pretty is a right, but not a duty. [/Q --end Nowhere Girl wrote--] On a side note, I can really recommend the game. The gameplay is in part weird enough to still be some fun today, but I also very much enjoyed the cut scenes where - despite none of the men taking her seriously - she goes and "saves the world" (ok, not sure anymore what the actual threat was). The graphics might look horrible by today's standards, of course.

[Q --start Indra is watching it all burn... wrote--] [Q2 --start Nowhere Girl wrote--] And being pretty is a right, but not a duty. [/Q2 --end Nowhere Girl wrote--]I'd actually feel slightly upset if I played a not so handsome male character. [/Q --end Indra is watching it all burn... wrote--] Not sure if I understood this one right. Depends on the game, doesn't it? I actually "enjoyed" both Kane & Lynch games, but look at the guys ... ;)

Rola (8486) on 10/1/2013 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dirk Schulz wrote--]Now, this is a part I do not really get.[/Q --end Dirk Schulz wrote--] Neither do I. If that was true, Tomb Raider series would die with the first part...

I'd say the game (NOLF) was advertised to wrong demographics. First person shooter fans don't like being forced to sneaking, nor reading/selecting dialogue options - prominent features of NOLF.

Game Guesser (28) on 9/26/2013 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I want to comment on this thread, but I'm not sure I can really summarize how childish, unpleasant and weird it strikes me.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/27/2013 4:25 PM · Permalink · Report

We're merely in the process of adapting our intellectual levels of discussion to one more suited to the audience the new layout targets.

Parf (7873) on 9/27/2013 8:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I hear there's a great intellectual harvest to be had from such places as the Youtube comments or GameFAQs forums... Who needed the actual insightful and knowledgeable banter of old MG when we can have "OMG Xbone will r0ck U!" "Fuck you! Playstation rocks and your momma's fat!" instead?

Alaka (105745) on 10/1/2013 5:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Candy Kong's a little to hirsute for my tastes.