🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > From Fallout to System Shock

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/19/2007 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi everyone, I recently bought a dvd compilation of all the Fallout games. I've tested it out and they install and run perfectly under Windows XP. I'm also in the process of adding it into the moby database. Fallout and Fallout 2 and System Shock 1/2 are in my view kinda like The Professional whereas Doom would be something like The Godfather. Those games that everyone into Pc gaming knows about but not everonye has played. Also one of those games you are ashamed to not have played. Unfortunately Windows XP won't help you fix this inexperience. I've tried several times to run System Shock 2 under xp but have failed. I've followed a lot of the tutorials online (to a point) but still no luck. This Fallout collection was released last June and I'm hoping if it has decent enough sales someone will go back and pull System Shock from the same situation. I'm pretty sure they're sitting on a goldmine. I'm afraid though that EA has something to do with this kinda System Shock compilation not coming out. Does anyone know more about this? And if anyone's interested this collection of Fallout games was released only in the UK so check Amazon UK or your favourite Uk game shop. On a side-note the same publisher has X2: The Threat which I'll be purchasing soon since that also is listed as compatible with XP. I'm sure some of you know all sorts of tricks with getting the games to install but I'm not really that keen on goofin around with my pc to get these games running. I wonder what challenges Vista will bring...

Zovni (10504) on 1/19/2007 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Sounds fantastic to me, but aren't the European Fallouts censored? Or was that just the German version? (Ie. can you kill kids?)

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/19/2007 8:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

wtf?! Oh man I hope it's not! lol

I can't really devote time to playing the game at the moment (final semester of university) but i'll be sure to keep an eye out and add it as trivia or something.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/21/2007 2:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Sounds fantastic to me, but aren't the European Fallouts censored? Or was that just the German version? (Ie. can you kill kids?) [/Q --end Zovni wrote--]

Why would anyone want to kill children?

Zovni (10504) on 1/22/2007 1:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Well to get the childkiller karma trait of course!!

Luis Silva (13443) on 1/19/2007 10:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I understand your pain with SS2, but I doubt EA could do something themselves about a XP patch (which is almost required for a bundle release) without calling the LGS programmers, and they'd still need the source code. .

Thankfully, I now have the chance to try out Deus Ex. This kind of cooled off my urge to play SS2.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/19/2007 10:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Did it come out in a xp compatible version?

Luis Silva (13443) on 1/20/2007 3:23 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You mean Deus Ex? It's the GOTY version, runs without an hitch.

Sometime, people attribute problems to Windows XP when it's really up to the hardware. Many 2000-ish games aren't that enthusiastic about running with dual core processors and a 8800 GTX card, or even regular modern systems.

Out-of-the-box SS2 just seems to have that peculiar issue of having problems in both sides.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/20/2007 6:11 AM · Permalink · Report

That's cool i'm gonna have to find that. Deus ex is probably one of my favourite games and I wanted to re-play it so it's good to know that the GOTY version will run under win xp. Is this fact listed in the moby specifications for the game? That would be definitely useful information for people who use the database before purchasing titles (like I do).

Riamus (8480) on 1/21/2007 6:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The maximum OS or All possible OS's aren't included in MG.

I've had no problems with the original release of Deus Ex (or the sequel) in XP. The only games made for Windows that I've had issues with in XP are a few games made for Windows 95 and that was usually due to changes in DirectX.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/21/2007 6:05 AM · Permalink · Report

I think it has something to do with xp updating itself because soon after I got this computer I tried to install system shock 2 and had no troubles. then a couple of years later it became pretty much impossible. So I'm assuming I got an update you avoided.

Riamus (8480) on 1/22/2007 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I may have installed it before that update if that's the case. I have always updated my drivers to the current ones.

Besides Windows updates, it could also be sound card or video card drivers (or types of cards) that do it.

Riamus (8480) on 1/19/2007 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Hm? I've never had an issue getting Fallout or Fallout 2 to install/run on XP... and that's with the older versions (not a DVD compilation). I remember getting System Shock (or maybe System Shock 2) to run as well, but that was awhile back and maybe I did something special to get it running.

As for X2... that's pretty new. There isn't any reason why it wouldn't be compatible with XP. Just to warn you, though... if you don't have a good graphics card, you're not going to be able to play it very well. Also, you may not like the controls... most people didn't. X3 is out now and it has better controls and you can customize them quite well to suit your own preferences. Of course, it does continue the X2 story and it does require even higher graphics, but you might enjoy it more.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/19/2007 11:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I had problems with all 4 titles but in regards to X2, I got it confused with the first one which is still unavailable.

Riamus (8480) on 1/20/2007 12:01 AM · Permalink · Report

4? Only 3 were Windows games (other than the compilation).

Anyhow, I have both installed and they run fine. I do remember having a speed issue on the original, but that wasn't too hard to fix if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I installed them, so I just don't remember exactly. I never did like Tactics-style games, so never tried Fallout Tactics.

infromthecold on 1/23/2007 9:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hi, I have yet to play all 4 games but I think folks are wasting their time trying to configure old PC games to run on todays Hardware/Software.

(Read on before you all question my technical abilities, Ive been doing PC Tech support for 13 years)

Simply put, Go to a thrift store or flea market and buy an old pentium or 486 and load Windows 95 on it. You can even hotswitch it to use the same keyboard/mouse/monitor as on your main XP system.

I have 1 of each: Windows 95. Dos, and Win 98. All just to run the old games and you dont have to spend time hacing an tweaking XP  to run them. Even with Dosbox, it sometimes runs things windowed and not Full screen.

In any event, I think running old games on todays systems is more work than it is worth than to just have 1 or 2 older systems running just to play older titles.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 1/28/2007 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Nice idea, but I couldn't possibly find space for that in my apartment.

As for Fallout, I played it in the autumn and it did run ok except for one glitch: the screen goes blank once in a while. Opening PIPBoy or any other screen fixes this, but it is kinda annoying because it happens so often.

Riamus (8480) on 1/29/2007 10:53 PM · Permalink · Report

If I remember right, that was a speed issue. You might want to try slowing it down.