Forums > Game Talk > How many games you've finished?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/21/2007 12:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I was asked to relocate the thread.

DreinX wrote: "Now that I think about it not all games can be finished. What must you do in a fighting game for example to say that you finished it? Is it to complete the Arcade/Story mode with all the players? What if this game has a completion percentage? Do you have to go all the way to reach 100% to say you finished it when you may have unlocked all the major things such as all the characters? Or on games like Gran Turismo, how do you define a completed game? Which has a 100% completion but not all people can achieve that. Are these games excluded? I suppose not but it's a little vague to define what the parameters are for these kinds of games to be considered completed. Unless you go for the 100%. And please can you post it in a new thread before people start sending replies?"

Well in fighting games like Dead or Alive or Tekken, by finishing I meant stuff like seeing the ending videoes for all the characters. Which of course means that there are a lot more fighting games that I've played since not all can be finished in one night with a friend and couple of bottles of beer.

But now thinking about it, there are some games that you've technically haven't finished but have played long enough that you just might as well count it has finished. No point of letting those spent hours go to waste. But in story-oriented games like, finishing is definitely meant to be taken as experiencing the whole story from start to an end.

DreinX wrote: "I assume by finished games you only refer to games you completed without the help of guides or cheats."

No, you can count games played with the help of walkthrough also. In JRPG's I used quite a lot of that "no random battles" cheat and quite often I've used walkthroughs in adventure games.

Deleted (381) on 10/21/2007 12:58 PM · Permalink · Report

350+

I reviewed almost half of them here.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/21/2007 12:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

How many games I've finished (not going to list the entire list, but just short summary of it, those of you who are really interested seeing the list can PM me :-) )

1) Genre: Adventure (82 games)
- 12 Lucasarts games
- 45 Sierra games (including the three Dynamix adventures)
- 25 Other adventures (like Tex Murphy games, Micropose adventures, Kyrandia, Myst, etc.)

Legend games are pretty much going to be included in that list. Eric the Unready is almost completed and just finished the chocolate day in Callahan.

2) Genre: RPG (52 games)
- 19 Origin games (including the Ultima Underworlds and Wing Commander, just for the sake of easier numbering)
- 4 Bioware games + 3 expansions
- 4 Black Isle games
- 2 Obsidian games
- 2 Troika games
- 7 JRPG's
- 14 Other RPG's

3) Genre: Shooters
- 9 games (with System Shock, Deus Ex, Max Payne, Half-Life series forming the majority)

4) Action games
- 21 games (including arcades like More Dull Kombat and artworks like Sands of Time)

5) Strategy
- 3 turn-based
- 4 real-time

6) Other games (4 games)
- True Love
- Seasons of Sakura
- 2 Thief games

175 games.

DreinIX (10446) on 10/21/2007 2:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks for relocating it. I believe it's better that way.

Check my "Games I've finished" list

Zovni (10504) on 10/21/2007 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Absolutely no idea. Its gotta be waaay up there in the hundreds though.

Indra was here (20756) on 10/21/2007 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm. My have/want list shows that I've only yet finished 118 games. Heh, then again, I have a bad habit of not finishing games.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 10/22/2007 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

By platform:

Dreamcast: Jet Grind Radio: Unlocked most of the stuff, too Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Rayman 2: The Great Escape Shadow Man: Beaten and found all dark souls without walkthrough. Only missing 5 cadeaux. Shenmue Sonic Adventure Soul Calibur: logged over 100 hours and 100% unlocked Spider-Man, beaten, unlocked most extras Unreal Tournament: beat of experienced Virtua Fighter 3tb: beat with all characters

Game Boy Color: *Link's Awakening DX

Game Gear: *Poker-Face Paul's Solitaire

Gamecube: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem: all four paths The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Genesis: *Barbie Super Model

Mac: Diablo (Normal) Marathon (Normal) Marathon 2: Durandal (Normal) Marathon Infinity (Normal) Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Myth: The Fallen Lords (Normal) Myth II: Soulbligher (Normal) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis The Secret of Monkey Island Univited Unreal Tournament Warcraft 2 (human campaign only)

NES: Kirby's Adventures in Dreamland Shadowgate

Nintendo 64: Conker's Bad Fur Day Donkey Kong 64 (nowhere near all bananas) Goldeneye 007 (Normal) The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time Resident Evil 2 (A ranking) Super Mario 64 (only minimum stars) *Xena: Warrior Prnicess and the Talisman of Fate

PlayStation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (200%, Alucard only) Fear Effect Metal Gear Solid Metal Gear Solid VR Missions Parappa the Rapper Parasite Eve Resident Evil Silent Hill (at least 3 endings) Soul Blade Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro Tenchu: Stealth Assassins Xena: Warrior Princess

PlayStation 2: ICO Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 Ratchet & Clank Ratchet & Clank Going Commando Silent Hill 3 Sly Cooper & the Thievius Raccoonus (all book pieces) *Soul Calibur II (100% unlocked)

Super Nintendo: Barbie Vacation Adventure Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong Quest

Windows: Diablo II & expansion (counting as 1) in nightmare Oni

Xbox: Batman: Vengeance BloodRayne BloodRayne 2 Dead or Alive 3 (cleared w/ all characters) Grand Theft Auto III Halo: Combat Evolved (normal) Halo 2 (heroic) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Prince of Persia: Warrior Within Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones Silent Hill 2 Silent Hill 4 The Simpsons: Hit & Run SoulCalibur II Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x (100% unlocks) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (100% unlocks) *Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (100% unlocks)

Xbox 360: Dead Rising Halo 3 Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Legend Marathon: Durandal (normal) Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

82 total

DJP Mom (11333) on 10/22/2007 2:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey listen - when you guys are done, could you wipe up the floor? :-)

DreinIX (10446) on 10/24/2007 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes Mom!

chirinea (47496) on 10/22/2007 3:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The only way to objectively answer that question would be going back and re-playing lots and lots of games on the NES, Master System, Genesis and the PC. I mean, sometimes, while wandering around MG, I stumble upon a game I once played, back in the early 90's, and remember "oh, I finished this one once and I didn't even remember it!". I mentioned those platforms 'cause they were the ones I had more contact. I have an Atari 2600 and an Odyssey², but most of their games don't have any possible final, so I couldn't count any of those. I never had a Playstation, but I finished Vandal Hearts on it. And I also finished some games in platforms I never had, such as the Game Gear, due to my MG commitment.

Edit: maybe I should start a "have list" with games which I do not necessarily have, but which I've finished, like Indra has...

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/22/2007 10:54 AM · Permalink · Report

For me it took a week to get that list, and it's still not exactly accurate... for example I just now remembered that I have played and on some occasions finished those old-school shooters (Heretic, Hexxen, Rise of the Triad). But it's just interesting to see that number before your eyes, because that gives you some clue how many hours of your life have you wasted... and for me near-200 games finished is quite a lot.

Terok Nor (41976) on 10/22/2007 11:27 AM · Permalink · Report

I have a list of games that I finished. Hadn't looked at it in years, but this thread made me pull it up again - and update it a bit. And I noticed that I had never counted the games, so I did now: about 160.

Those include

• about 25 adventures (including the entire LucasArts canon, but only a few early Sierras)
  • 25 RPGs (including most of the Ultima series, some Gold Boxes, Diablos, Gothics, Fallout, Baldur's Gate)
  • 20 strategy games (Warcrafts and C&Cs mostly, some Sid Meier and Bullfrog stuff)
  • 30 action games (most of those are FPS, including Dooms, Quakes, Unreals, Half-Lifes, but also some platformers and others)
  • 20 space sims (all of Wing Commander and X-Wing/TIE Fighter and a few others)

The rest are either not so easy to classify (hybrids like System Shock/Thief/Deus Ex) or are only on consoles (because this was originally a computer-only list, they are listed at the bottom). The consoles games include platformers (some Marios, Sonic 1, Castle of Illusion, Revenge of Shinobi), Desert Strike/Jungle Strike, three Final Fantasies (I, II and IV), Resident Evils (1-3 and CV) and Silent Hill.

Then there are some arcades I finished, but those were in MAME and with basically unlimited credits, so I guess they shouldn't really count.

So: there's still a lot I need to play out there!

Deleted (381) on 10/24/2007 8:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I know.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/24/2007 8:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]X-Wing/TIE Fighter [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--] Damn, I forgot those games. Lol. And Rogue Squadron too. And Dark Forces I and II. Bloody hell, I need to recheck my list.

Maw (832) on 10/25/2007 9:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Lots of the games I play have no end in the traditional sense, but assuming you mean "have explored and unlocked most/all of the content" it's probably...a couple dozen. There are games I've played through 10 times.

[quote]350+

I reviewed almost half of them here.[/quote]

Weren't you writing about fifty reviews a month at one point? :S

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/25/2007 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Iv'e finished somwhere around twenty some games, but I'm not exactly sure. I just Finished Tekken 5 with Chritsty yesterday.

Michael B (303) on 10/29/2007 12:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I have finished almost every game in my Have list, but it wasn't easy, that I can tell you.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 10/29/2007 7:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just recently made a list of all games I have finished and I think it was somewhere between 115 and 130 games, most of them SNES ,PSX and PS2 games. That's more then I expected, since I don't spend nearly as much time playing games as I used to, and have developed an annoying tendency to stop playing games halfway through or even right before the end.

mobiusclimber (235) on 10/29/2007 8:43 PM · Permalink · Report

this is going to be super short as it'll just be what i can think of off the top of my head. and my definition of completed is seeing the ending (ie, if there's more than one ending except for fighting games then i count it finished).

NES: dragon warrior, crystalis, legend of zelda

SNES: final fantasy 2, ff3, breath of fire 1 & 2, illusion of gaia, lagoon, secret of mana, legend of zelda 3

GENESIS: shadowrun, shining force 1 & 2, Phantasy star 2, 3, 4, shining in the darkness, sonic the hedgehog

SATURN: shining force 3

PLAYSTATION: wild arms, suikoden 1 & 2, ff7, 8, 9, parasite eve, silent hill, dragon warrior 7, star ocean 2, ff tactics, front mission 3, tekken 3 (saw ending w/ every char), resident evil 1, 2, 3 (only saw one ending apiece for those games), diablo, lunar sssc

DREAMCAST: pso, skies of arcadia, grandia 2, shenmue, re: cv

PS2: ffx, suikoden 3, baldur's gate, champions of norrath, dragon quest 8, silent hill 2 & 3, kowloon

GAMECUBE: tales of symphonia

i know i'm forgetting a ton but don't have time right now to keep thinking about it.

beetle120 (2415) on 11/5/2007 11:05 AM · Permalink · Report

OK I am going to the other extreme by saying that I have only finished about 4 games (not including racing games). 1 Zelda (Wii) and all the GTA from 3 onwards. When I was a kid only played a few and never finished them. Now I have no money and time to play games that much.

Deleted (381) on 11/12/2007 8:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I hear people saying that the remote controller on the wii is hard to master, is that true?

beetle120 (2415) on 11/13/2007 12:13 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Simon Koetsier wrote--]I hear people saying that the remote controller on the wii is hard to master, is that true? [/Q --end Simon Koetsier wrote--]

Easy to pick up even my dad that took a long time to teach him how to use the start menu in windows got how to bowl in WiiSports in only a few shots. But it is hard to master especially the fishing game in WiiPlay where you have to work out in and out, up and down, and left and right at the same time to control the rod, but that more due to game design. Games like Zelda are a breeze to pick up, swing to swing the sword, aim and fire for the bow, (which is cool) it all just make sense.

Deleted (381) on 11/13/2007 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok.

Shoddyan (15002) on 11/14/2007 7:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You mean you're actually supposed to finish the games? Bloody hell... why do I keep stopping at/before the end moments of a game (well, half the time it's because the final challenge is hard...)

Seriously though... I guesstimate it's just over 100 games in various forms. Though "finishing a game" is not always an accurate depiction of time spent... I have a few games that I've tried to take on again and again and again and still have yet to complete.

Deleted (381) on 11/15/2007 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Which, if i may ask.

Shoddyan (15002) on 11/15/2007 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Simon Koetsier wrote--]Which, if i may ask. [/Q --end Simon Koetsier wrote--]

Well off the top of my head there's a bunch of RPGs I own such as Final Fantasy X or Xenosaga where I'm essentially "at the end boss" but haven't got around to finishing him off and just stopped playing. Suikoden IV's like that also, with the added bonus that I have powerful enough characters to whop the boss quickly. Unicorn even wanted me to write a review on the game... maybe I'm afraid of that? I just hit the ending level of Ace Combat 5 last night and I'm already feeling hesitant to go through with the final mission. Not for any real reason I can think of. Let's see what else... I was happily playing the PC version of Grandia 2 until I came across a minigame I couldn't finish, and even posted a message about it in the forums... I haven't touched the game since then. The first Knights of the Old Republic game I was happily enjoying and then I made it to another planet and just stopped playing. Somebody loaned me Settlers 2 10th anniversary and I don't think I'm going to finish it... I find the original Settlers 2 to have nicer graphics and be more enjoyable. The first Maximo game I was playing when my PS2 was damaged and couldn't play DVD discs (it's a CD PS2 game) and haven't played it since. Fun for what it is. etc etc etc

I could probably write several paragraphs with examples like this. Not every game on my have list is something I haven't finished but enough of them are. In some cases, it's easy to explain: Another game comes along that I want to play more. But in other cases... I don't know, I just lose interest with interacting with the world for whatever reason.

mobiusclimber (235) on 11/15/2007 10:20 PM · Permalink · Report

there's actually quite a few games for me too that i've stopped at the end boss, but it's usually been b/c it's a game i only like well enough to play thru once (or i got it after the point in my life where i had more free time than games so would play a good game two, three or four times) so i'd get to the boss and then go out to try to get all the secrets and do everything before i beat the game. sometimes i'd do that then finish off the boss, or i'd beat the boss then go back and do everything else, but more often than not, i'd just start doing other stuff in the game, get bored, and play something else (or another game would come along that i wanted to play more).

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/16/2007 5:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] In some cases, it's easy to explain: Another game comes along that I want to play more. But in other cases... I don't know, I just lose interest with interacting with the world for whatever reason. [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

That's so not me. :)

Even if the game is boring and I already have something much better to play, I can't just forget about it. It persist haunting me and every time I try to avoid another gaming session I feel its accusing gaze upon me. This month (and last too) it's Final Fantasy XII. I've already completed about 3/4 of the game and got stuck. With a save point and boss monster being 20 minutes apart from each other it's too tiresome and frustrating to finish. But I will complete it nonetheless. Otherwise, I won't be able to sleep soundly anymore.

DreinIX (10446) on 11/16/2007 5:48 PM · Permalink · Report

That's how all gamers that respect themselves should be.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/16/2007 6:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I wouldn't go that far. Since, if truth be told, I regret wasting my time on about 60% percent of the games I've finished. I played a lot of crap in the early days. It's just that now I've become more picky and try to avoid playing games that aren't even remotely good. Mistakes happen, however. Black is a recent example. In times like that I genuinely wish to be able to step over it and move on.

DreinIX (10446) on 11/16/2007 7:12 PM · Permalink · Report

You wouldn't go that far I shouldn't go that far. I don't respect myself too much lately if you get what I mean. And not for crappy games but games such as Okami which I bought this spring and Valkyrie Profile 2 which I bought...maybe a month ago. If you don't know them I tell you that Okami is a great game and I would say that VP2 is above average.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 11/25/2007 1:23 AM · Permalink · Report

I've yet to finish Tomb Raider Anniversarry.

Deleted (381) on 12/23/2007 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

How's the game?