🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Nintendo DS recommendations

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/5/2008 1:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I suddenly became interested in Nintendo DS. Any recommendations?

Note: am interested mostly in adventure-type games with unique DS accessories I heard about. Or if there are some really cool action games, I would be interested too. Not interested in Japanese RPGs, unless they have some unique themes. Generally not interested in children-oriented games.

Thanks in advance!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/5/2008 2:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You remember that little crisis you had not so long ago right ? This is a brand new start ! Try something you've never tried before ! I don't have many DS games, but try some GBA stuff while you're at it. A lot of the games on both platforms are similar except in the graphics department. I suggest anything Castlevania related. (Aria of Sorrow comes to mind.) Try Metroid ! Try some FPS games ! Try ANYTHING but adventure and RPG games. They're good, but try to expand your taste a little man ! 8)

Sciere (930490) on 10/5/2008 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

• Professor Layton and the Curious Village
  • Survival Kids / Lost in Blue series
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/5/2008 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, I'll play along. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis . Very addictive.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/5/2008 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis

Doesn't that count as a children-oriented game?.. But anyway. Thanks, but no Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong/any other kiddy mascot Nintendo/any other company has milked to death :)

Foxhack (32100) on 10/5/2008 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis

Doesn't that count as a children-oriented game?.. But anyway. Thanks, but no Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong/any other kiddy mascot Nintendo/any other company has milked to death :) [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]... Dude, it's Lemmings with Mario.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/5/2008 5:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Looks cool, thanks!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/5/2008 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

ZELDA A KID'S GAME ?!!! I take grave offense sir !

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/5/2008 5:58 PM · Permalink · Report

ZELDA A KID'S GAME ?!!! I take grave offense sir !

I know adults who like Zelda, but personally, I find it childish...

vedder (70822) on 10/5/2008 6:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]

[/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Personally I found Hotel Dusk terribly boring. Way too little interaction for a game. It's just dialogue cutscene after dialogue cutscene.

I had a lot of fun with Professor Layton. It's a very solid game, with fun puzzles. The puzzles have little to do with the actual story, but that didn't really bother me much.

You might also want to try Trace Memory. It's not a brilliant adventure game, but at least it tries to do something with the stylus.

I can't think of much action games on the DS that were fun that weren't blatant itterations of titles we've been seeing for at least 10 years (sonic rush, new super mario bros, mario kart ds, contra 4).

If you like turn-based strategy games, I can suggest Age of Empires and Advance Wars. Advance Wars is at times a bit too Japanes for me, but both Age of Empires and Advance Wars have great gameplay.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/5/2008 7:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I can second Trace Memory !

Edit-But like I said, try some GBA games too ! (The DS does have a slot for them.) CoughCastlevania Aria of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, NES classic versioncough. And there are some Castlevania games on the DS too. I haven't played them because I'm waiting on the new one coming soon.

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 11/21/2008 6:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Well...the one for the DS kinda is.....

But just cuz it's a "kid's game" dun mean it aint fun!!!

Sorry being watching Cletis in the simpsons...

Elliott Wu (40) on 11/21/2008 3:43 AM · Permalink · Report

• Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 11/14/2008 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Did anyone suggest "The World Ends with You" yet? If not...I highly recommend that!! The only flaw of that game is that you can't skip cutscenes properly...but sadly many RPG games share that flaw.

OHHH also there's Rhythm Tengoku. I think they are makin an english version but really it's pretty straight forward as it is.

PolloDiablo (16852) on 11/15/2008 8:14 AM · Permalink · Report

The Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice) series is great, too, but as almost all cases are straight ports from GBA cases there is not much DS-specific interaction. They are working on new DS-exclusive games though.