Forums > Off Topic > Hello, My name is Martín and I'm a fanboi =(

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/11/2009 11:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So I figured I never used this forum as a personal blog like most of the cool Mobygamers do, or at least I can't remember when I did it for the last time; I figured I had been doing quite a bit or embarrasingly fanboyish gaming-related fanart lately; then I asked myself: “What better than showing off with my MobyGames pals?”, to which I answered with a cold stare, so I rephrased: “OK, maybe there are better things to do, so why not showing off with my MobyGames pals?”, to which I gleefuly agreed, so I went like “All right, let's do that!!!”

So here it is.

If you want to say nice things about these, by all means do.

If you want to tell me how much of a disgusting fanboi I am, I think that would be pretty redundant, but hey, it's your keyboard getting uselessly worn off.

If you want to see these bigger, just click on them.

If you or someone you know would be willing to pay someone to make cartoonish drawings in some sort of capitalist venture, me and my tablet are totally up for grabs, we love drawing stuff and we love to get money, and if we can do both things at once, hey, how better can it get?

vedder (70667) on 12/12/2009 2:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey that's pretty cool! I particularly like the BioShock one, the Fallout one is a bit flat in comparison.

I used to draw a lot myself, but the last few years I just don't seem to find the time :(

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 12/12/2009 3:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I can't rate them as concept art or game assets, but these are lovely.

—- (1623) on 12/12/2009 3:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice work, Martín.

Love the Bioshock one. The Fallout 3 one does lack a bit of depth and mood, though.

So, yes, you really are a disgusting fanboi! =D

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/12/2009 4:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, the Fallout one is gonna get its shadows in these days, which I guess should give it a bit more depth, and both of them should get a little color too, but this might take a while since I have this phobia of sorts against coloring =P

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/12/2009 4:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm really impressed! Glad you won the argument with yourself :)

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 12/12/2009 5:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Very nice, Doc! Especially the Bioshock one. The Fallout one is actually pretty good too, but not very Fallout-ish, you know what I mean?

Parf (7873) on 12/12/2009 7:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Those two are really neat! I'm with the rest and I think I favor the Bioshock one more, but they are both very well drawn and detailed. :)

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/12/2009 7:24 PM · Permalink · Report

OK! Bioshock one is now my wallpaper! I'm in love with your rendition of a little sister! That's a cool departure from the vulnerable pretty girl image we saw in the original game.

And show us some more of your work! More!

J. P. Gray (115) on 12/12/2009 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

These are good! You are miles ahead of most fanboy art already, since you are apparently unafraid of drawing hands and feet. :-D

I think most of what falls flat in the Fallout piece is the composition--cutting the character off in mid-thigh is probably not the best idea, and her stance is a bit flat. Combined with the similarly cut off sign, this makes it difficult to get a sense of where everything is in relation to everything else, what the proportions are, etc. If you expanded the image to add in her legs and the sign's base (as the viewer must), would she even be looking at the sign? The draftsmanship is solid, though!

In the Bioshock one, the eye has a more interesting path to take through the composition, the depth and environmental relationships are clear, and I dig everything! Well, except for the bloom effect, but that's probably down to taste. :-D The style is also entertaining.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 12/16/2009 2:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Your Bioshock one is absolutely epic. I love the evil cartoonishness it has, especially the way you rendered the little sister. The monotone sea colors also give it a very brooding tone. Bravo in my opinion!

Jacob Quinn (5) on 12/16/2009 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

My name is Jacob and I'm a fanboi :-)

Indra was here (20760) on 12/16/2009 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, I prefer the Fallout one as it definitely displays more "round art." Though I may not be professionally objective in this regard cough.

Now if only you'd put the chick on the top, to the atmosphere in the bottom. Preferbly near the bloodstains. Yummy.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/20/2009 5:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Here's an update of sorts. I was meaning to color both illustrations properly, but I just discovered that I had been lying to myself in a most nefarious way all along; and once I had the shading at a point I more or less liked it, I just called it a day and started on a new drawing (I'm thinking Indra will like the new one =D ). Shame on me =(

I really should do something about this phobia to colors I have. I might buy The Void in these days, maybe that'll help =P

Anyway, thanks for your comments, guys, I sort of agree with everything that's been said. The Bioshock one is most definitely the best overall because, as J. P. Gray up there sort of explains it (great analysis, by the way, I loved the way you put it all), the entire composition was thought out beforehand, viewing angle and characters and whatnot; whereas the FO3 one was just a half-drawing of the girl to which I just started adding layers of background afterwards.

Oleg, I'm not sure what you mean about "not very Fallout-ish". If you mean it looks cartoony and not gritty and harsh enough to be a properly Fallout thing, I agree, but I did that intentionally. You see, after reading your and St. Martyne's reviews I discovered that one of the things I like the most about FO3 is what most fans of the early games don't: The light-hearted, comedy-ish tone that runs through the whole thing, as opposed to the much more serious and crude feeling that I understand ruled in the original games. That's one of the reasons why I think FO3 should be cell-shaded, as to enhance the "comic" tone even more.

What can I do, I guess I'm a neo-Fallout fan, if you will =P

St. Martyne, you can see some other crap I did at my website/portfolio, but to be honest, these two are the ones I like the most out of my most recent production; as only very recently I started taking time to really enjoy drawing like I did a long time ago. The site is in Spanish, but hopefully it's easy enough to reach the illustrations. I should make an English version, now that I think about it...

Jacob Quinn (5) on 12/21/2009 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm a fanboy and proud. :-)