Forums > Off Topic > knitting

mobygamer (92) on 12/18/2009 9:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Nah, i am not going to talk about knitting, even though i am very tempted to do so. The purpose of this topic is to talk about smileys and traits in speech in our fellow mobygamers. I have noticed Rabbi never uses smiles, Pseudo uses the 8) smiley alot, Erkenbrand occasionally uses :o) and Unicorn only uses the :) smiley. If i am mistaken please correct me.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 12/18/2009 10:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Way back in the dark ages when I was learning about the so-called "emoticons", I was taught that 8) was a smilie wearing glasses, as I wear. So I stuck with it. Really it's a grammatical scourge, but I can't seem to shake it after all these years.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/18/2009 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Ha, you should see me on Messenger to know what a true victim of emoticon sickness is.

I remember I started writing some note for someone on paper, and I had to fight back the impulse to put emoticons just about every four words o__O

Foxhack (32102) on 12/19/2009 1:05 AM · Permalink · Report

MSN SMILIES ARE THE FUCKING DEVIL

vedder (70667) on 12/19/2009 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

I use smileys quite a lot but on IRC; more than on forums I guess. :) ;) :P :D :O :S :] :\ ¬.¬ and o.O are all part of me repertoire. That's more than I guessed now that I see them all together.

Foxhack (32102) on 12/19/2009 5:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, but those are text smilies.

MSN ones are animated. And sometimes they make noise. And sometimes they make the screen shake.

I HATE THEM.

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/19/2009 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

"Nudges" and "winks" - I hate them so much I turned them all off and muted the sounds, so now all I see is a light flashing at the bottom of my screen :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/19/2009 4:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]MSN SMILIES ARE THE FUCKING DEVIL [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]

BurningStickMan (17916) on 12/19/2009 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Eh, you're not a real dork until you graduate to some kind of twisted combo of emoticons and ASCII art. Like @-->-->-- roses and <(-)> Yoda.

chirinea (47504) on 12/19/2009 5:07 PM · Permalink · Report

My favorite MSN emoticon I borrowed from you: that "hummm" face with the hand on chin.

Anyway, the smiley I use most is that =P, followed by =D and =). I use them to keep flamewars away.

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 12/19/2009 8:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Before, I used many different kinds of smileys.

Back when I was young and handsome ;D, just like you are now :D, I used smileys for this kind of irony, or for meaner purposes, which you wouldn't understand because you only have 89 points :p. I would even get naughty :)~. But of course, a good healthy laugh was always welcome :)). I used to laugh a lot :))) And if I had a good mood :-) or felt happy :-)), I would sometimes tell jokes ;) Funny jokes ;)) Sometimes very funny jokes ;-)), some of which were weird :-D. But naturally, sometimes I was sad :(, even very sad :((, angry :-((, or just in a queer mood :0. Lots of things could surprise me :O, or annoy me :/.

Now I've become more reserved. A tiny bit of irony is all an old guy like me needs :)

MZ per X (3017) on 12/19/2009 12:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Personally, I think it's important that smileys all have a nose because there's so many things you can do with it.

• Surfing the internet you sometimes just need to follow your nose.
  • You can pick one's nose, or even your own.
  • You can thumb your nose at someone.
  • You can look down your nose at so many other people.
  • You can have other people rubbing your nose in something.
  • ...and much more...

You get the idea. ;o))

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/19/2009 4:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I call my smilies "winkies" because I always use a semicolon.