Forums > Off Topic > The Zombie Apocalpyse

BurningStickMan (17916) on 7/15/2010 2:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Does our fascination with zombies mean we wish to revert to independent, close-knit tribes, as this article suggests?

http://www.gamecrashers.net/2010/07/14/the-zombie-apocalypse-why-you-secretly-want-to-live-in-a-commune/

Discuss. I'll get the cucumber sandwiches.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/15/2010 12:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Interesting read. But I've always thought the recent fascination with zombies was a desire for a common enemy people could rally against. You know, blow the head off anything that stumbles around and says "Braaaiiinnnsss!" and not have anybody think twice about it. "Zombies eat people, therfore, zombies are bad." A black and white situation in a time when nothing is black and white, but different shades of vomit. The worlds problems are so frighteningly complex, divisive, and overwhelming at times, people subconsciously wish for something to unite against in commonality. That's why I thought they were popular anyway. Personally I don't care much for zombie movies. I've never really liked super gory entertainment. But I will give Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat and a few other games a pass, because the gore really isn't displayed realistically, and because they're really fun. ;)

vedder (70767) on 7/15/2010 1:03 PM · Permalink · Report

You forget that shooting your mother or wife who has just been bitten by a zombie has never been very black and white and is in fact a very moral gray area.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/15/2010 4:27 PM · Permalink · Report

When people think about a common enemy, they usually don't think about one of them being somebody's loved one. I should have put "Zombies eat people, therfore, zombies are bad." in quotes, because that would be the popular perception if there really was a zombie apocalpyse. (Populism at work.) But even if your loved ones turn into zombies, you might have to shoot them anyway, despite what feelings you might have. If there's no cure, you have to, or they might eat you or somebodyelse. If there is one, I suppose you could keep them cooped up until you can get your hands on it. But not everybody likes their brothers, sisters, husbands, exct. A lot of people despise their relations. Some might take glee in blowing their brains out if they awoke one day to find them munching on somebody. But I understand what you're saying. When people wish for something, it's usually not what they wanted. That's why I used the word "wish". They'll get a common enemy, but not without some problems they never thought of before. Hence the saying, "Be careful what you wish for."

duffers on 8/16/2010 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Interesting read. But I've always thought the recent fascination with zombies was a desire for a common enemy people could rally against. You know, blow the head off anything that stumbles around and says "Braaaiiinnnsss!" and not have anybody think twice about it. "Zombies eat people, therfore, zombies are bad." A black and white situation in a time when nothing is black and white, but different shades of vomit. The worlds problems are so frighteningly complex, divisive, and overwhelming at times, people subconsciously wish for something to unite against in commonality. That's why I thought they were popular anyway. Personally I don't care much for zombie movies. I've never really liked super gory entertainment. But I will give Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat and a few other games a pass, because the gore really isn't displayed realistically, and because they're really fun. ;) [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

The first zombie films as we know them by George Romero were largely social commentary pieces that just happened to have astounding gore. And we needn't look to the undead to come together about things.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/16/2010 9:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I said recent fascination. I'm very familiar with the original Night of the Living Dead.

Indra was here (20756) on 8/16/2010 10:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]I said recent fascination. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Why Hollywood lacks the imagination to combine a zombie film with bloke carrying a sniper with unlimited bullets is beyond me.

Why Rockstar lacks the imagination to create GTA: Zombie (something like that) is also beyond me.

There seems to be a lot of stuff going beyond me lately. :p

Lain Crowley (6629) on 8/16/2010 10:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually I think the recently released Red Dead Redemption DLC has a zombie mode, so Rockstar's managed to get in on that fad.

beetle120 (2415) on 7/17/2010 2:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I like the quote:
it’s made it much easier to find and retreat to the groups that make us feel valued; to the people we know and agree with. [...] back to whatever site linked to this article (where you will post your thoughts and comments instead of on this site, because they know you over there).
It really puts proof into to his theory (which I do not agree with but to tired to explain why now, really should go to bed).

Indra was here (20756) on 7/24/2010 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Although I must consciously admit that zombie movies are somewhat beneath my standard tastes, I am also equally surprised that I am extremely entertained by the concept and will delightedly gobble up any zombie movie, no matter how cheesy.

I am also still flabbergasted as to why. Between a zombie and vampire movie, I'd pick the zombie.