šŸ³ Moby v2024.04.07

Forums > Off Topic > Put DVD, video files to iPod touch/classic/nano

rena martinson on 9/7/2007 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Apple has just released iPod touch and the newest iPod nano. iPod touch both looks and operates pretty much like iPhone with the touch-screen. Compared to iPod Classic, iPod touch is easier to operate and has a much better screen for watching videos. The newest iPod nano now also supports video with great picture quality. And now, you can enjoy movies, TV shows and a lot more videos on iPod classic, iPod touch and iPod nano. Three important video sources are Youtube videos, DVD movies and regular video files. The following is to guide you on how to put Youtube video, DVDs and videos on iPod (iPod classic, iPod touch and iPod nano) and Sync files to iPod:

1. Youtube video to iPod I often visit Youtube to watch videos and sometimes I download videos from Youtube to put on my iPod. Most Youtube videos are FLV formats, so I use a free online FLV converter to do the conversion: Firstly, go to Youtube and open the page of the video you want to put on your iPod. And you will find the Youtube URL of this video to the right of the playback window. Then copy this URL. See the highlighted area in the figure below:

Secondly, go to http://vixy.net/ , paste the copied URL into the URL field of this web page, and select ā€œMP4 for iPod/PSPā€ from the ā€œConverts toā€ drop-down list. Then click ā€œStartā€ below this list to start the conversion. See the highlighted areas below:

Finally, after the conversion, this website will provide a download link for you to download the converted MP4 file. When you see the link, you can just download the final file from the link, save the downloaded MP4 file on your computer and use iTunes to sync it on to your iPod.

1. DVD/Video to iPod I have a huge collection of DVD movies and video files. And I always put a few movies on my iPod to kill time while travelling. DVD movies cannot be transferred to iPod via iTunes, so I had to find a converter to do that. I have used a few converters and the one I am using now is Wondershare DVD to iPod Ripper. It is not free, but not expensive either. I decided to spend the money coz it does a good job on the final quality and conversion speed. And if I donā€™t want to put a whole movie, I can just convert part of a movie onto my iPod with this app. My OS is Windows, so I use the Windows version. If you are using a Mac OS, I have noticed that they have a Mac DVD to iPod converter that you can try, which I donā€™t know if is as good because I donā€™t have Mac OS.

Most of my video files are not MP4 formats that can be directly used on iPod, so I also bought the video to iPod converter from the same company coz I thought it would also be nice app, and it turned out to be so :) Actually, this video converter and the DVD converter are pretty much the same as far as the functions and the operational steps are concerned, and the only difference to me is that one is to convert DVDs and the other is to convert video files. If you also want a video to iPod converter, you can just download a trial version to see if it is what you need. Unfortunately, they donā€™t have a Mac version for video converters.

1. Sync files to iPod Obviously, using iTunes to sync files to iPod is the choice of many iPod users. I use iTunes myself but I have found it a bit clunky. Apart from iTunes, there are also apps you can use to sync files to your iPod, either free or not: a. YamiPod. YaniPod is very popular free tool to transfer files to iPod and it has different version for different operation systems. b. Wondershare iPod Video Transfer. This iPod sync tool is also free tool and it is built into the DVD to iPod Ripper and Video to iPod converter from this company. The two iPod converters are definitely great apps, as I motioned above. But their iPod Video Transfer still remains much too be desired, coz it doesnā€™t do a very good job syncing music to my iPod, although it is a nice tool to sync videos.

There are a lot more sync tools and you can refer to a comparison list on Wikipedia to and see which ones best work for you.

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/7/2007 4:13 AM · Permalink · Report

A member since Aug. 21 and only now posting the spam? Will wonders never cease!

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/7/2007 4:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]A member since Aug. 21 and only now posting the spam? Will wonders never cease! [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] And even with all the time it took to concoct the piece, still no "free wah" or anything like that. I can't believe I took the time to skim through over 4.000 characters for nothing :(

Where have all the good spammers gone?

DarkBubble (342) on 9/7/2007 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Seem to be a few of the stealth spammers floating around.

As far as the Touch goes, Apple can suck a salty one. I'm not paying that much for a 16G iPod when I bought a 60 at close to the same price. I'd rather spend the extra money on the 160G, even with a 1" smaller screen. I also don't need Apple's software to transfer, as I've found software that supported pretty much every video format out there long before Apple got off their ass and tackled it themselves.

Now, if we could get them to stop lying about their battery life and stick better amplifiers in them. You have to crank the volume on both the iPod and a stereo if you're using line-in or a tape adapter.

Come to think of it...I don't know if my next audio/video player will be an iPod. I'm not saturated in accessories at this point.

Zovni (10504) on 9/7/2007 4:14 AM · Permalink · Report

I had no idea Apple needed to hire spammers...

dave345 dave345 on 9/7/2007 5:57 AM · Permalink · Report

iPod fans, it's your day.

johny wilson on 9/7/2007 7:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Dispointed that iPod touch is flash memory based, 16GIG is too small for me.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 9/7/2007 8:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Looks like this one has drawn out all the sock puppets!

DJP Mom (11333) on 9/7/2007 11:55 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Looks like this one has drawn out all the sock puppets! [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] It's as if a code word set them loose! Lurking spammers....:-(