Forums > Off Topic > Why have Xenogears never been released in germany?

Captain Shiny on 12/12/2008 12:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hi there! I recently found Xenogears and cause it's from square whose style of games I like, I gave it a try - and well, it's fantastic. Furthermore it's full of german references. And I'm german. So...well...I'm honored and would welcome our new japanese masters if they decided to inavade us. I would however be even more honored if they had just released a german version ;) I already know that square almost didn't release it in the USA due to its religious theme but, hey, that's usually not a problem here in germany. That's the same with sexual content, by the way. We have pretty harsh laws for illustrated violence in games, though (which I'm not too happy about) but xenogears is not exactly full of bloody scenes (except for one I saw, which wasn't too bad).

So has anybody an Idea, why there never was a german release? Feel free to speculate. But please don't spoil too much, I'm not through, yet.

Foxhack (32100) on 12/12/2008 1:00 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Captain Shiny wrote--]So has anybody an Idea, why there never was a german release? Feel free to speculate. But please don't spoil too much, I'm not through, yet. [/Q --end Captain Shiny wrote--]Square is cheap and didn't want to pay for a German localization?

DreinIX (10446) on 12/12/2008 1:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Captain Shiny wrote--]So has anybody an Idea, why there never was a german release? [/Q --end Captain Shiny wrote--]Because the other European countries didn't get it either?

Where did you find it anyway? I'd kill for a copy.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/12/2008 2:06 AM · Permalink · Report

What? You here? I thought you busy with the Athens riots.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/12/2008 2:23 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Unfortunately I can do nothing about them. Plus the situation has calmed down a bit (for now at least).

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/12/2008 3:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I fully support it.. you know. It's like them cops and authority... I mean, down with the authority. I am antichrist, I am anarchist... you know. It's like wow. Is the law is bad man, it's oppressive... and we need to rise against it, it's like you know... somekinda revolution, yeah man. High five!!! Rage against the system man, savvy?

DreinIX (10446) on 12/12/2008 12:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I wish things were that simple.

Captain Shiny on 12/16/2008 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

You can find it on ebay, if you're lucky, even at a reasonable price. You have to look sharp, though. I personally borowed it from a friend. He's got a lot of imported games.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/17/2008 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Ahh, yes, ebay. Actually I have found it there and the Xenogears (Greatest Hits) was at a more than reasonable price. Unfortunately paypal was not supported for my country (probably still isn't) and I don't remember whether there was another way to order a game. There's always the chance though that it's going to be available in the PS store at some point.

Foxhack (32100) on 12/17/2008 10:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--]Ahh, yes, ebay. Actually I have found it there and the Xenogears (Greatest Hits) was at a more than reasonable price. Unfortunately paypal was not supported for my country (probably still isn't) and I don't remember whether there was another way to order a game. There's always the chance though that it's going to be available in the PS store at some point. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]Actually it appears that PayPal now supports Greece.

DreinIX (10446) on 12/17/2008 10:31 PM · Permalink · Report

WHOA. dies from heart attack

Haoie on 12/17/2008 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

No PAL release period!!

I had to import mine [live in NZ].

Europeans have it hard when it comes to RPGs, especially in the PS1 era and pre.